Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Angry I should stay off Kijiji - it just makes me mad.

I often hit Kijiji - specifically the give away section in pets, just because. I just read an ad on there that burns me up.

Someone is giving away their 14 year old cat because they want their last years to be happy. This person wants the cat to go to a rural home so they'll be allowed to roam outside again. This person even says the cat is affectionate so I assume the cat loves this excuse for a human but the cat wants to go outside and the human feels bad that s/he can't let them out now that they live in a city.

I was just forced to put my 14 year old cat down and would have never ever considered giving him away because I know he loved me and I loved him. If he had begged to go outside I would have trained him to accept a harness and taken him out supervised or I would have made an outdoor enclosure for him so he could be outside and safe or I would have distracted him by playing with him indoors.

But no, this person thinks that now that the cat is old and "on his last legs" that NOW is a good time to re-home him so "his last days can be happy". I wanted to message this person and tell them how wrong what they are trying to do is but I doubt anyone would take a 14 year old cat so I'm trying to let it go. I just can't believe someone who professes to care about this cat would not think of alternative ways to give the cat what it wants without putting it through the stress of dealing with a new home.

I often wonder about the people giving away their animals. Some of them seem like decent people and I want to believe their stories of allergies and not being able to take pets with them when they move but mostly I just feel bad for the animals. The ones they say they "don't have time" really make me mad though I think any pet will be happier with the family they have always had and less attention than a ton of attention and not the family they know. Either make the time or make the time you have with them as special as you can don't give them away.

end rant
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe the cat will dies of natural death before it can given away , that would be the kindest thing for the poor thing. I can see why you are upset , I find this upsetting too, did you try to tell the person how you felt about this?
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:56 AM

I do the same thing often, not sure why but I just do... this week I saw an add for a person who was looking for their small yorkie that she was not even sure how she ran away- not only should you be very careful with your small pet but specially in this weather! In sk right now is terribly cold not to mention we have so much snow this year.

Then I saw another one for a person that was looking for a small dog or kitten for their daugher, because she just lost her kitten somehow-really???? Just yesterday I read one for a person selling a female pup (min-pin) and the add said "you can easily make your money back with a few liters"... and list just goes on, very upseting.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I was taking taking my last dog to the park and as I was driving down my street I saw a chihuahua that looked very frighten and confused , the poor dog was running back and forth between 2 houses. I stopped my car and when to one off the houses and asked if the dog was their. The woman said "No but the dog was scratching at her back door " The woman just told the dog to go away! GRRR. I was really worried about the small dog as we had hawks flying around all the time. The woman that lives in the second house finally come home and I ask her if she has a chihuahua and she said "Yes, and he is upstairs in the house" I told her No the dog is outside . The woman had left her door open for a minute and the chihuahua being so small ran right past her and got out. The woman thought her dog was upstairs the whole time and did not think anything of it when her dog did not come downstairs to eat. So she when out shopping not knowing her poor dog was outside. People really need to be careful when they have a real small pet as they can sneak out of the without you knowing it.
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Anybody who even hints they want a dog/cat for breeding, I report the ad, so far I've got a bunch removed so at least Kijiji is doing what they say with those ads.
Old January 19th, 2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I can see why you are upset , I find this upsetting too, did you try to tell the person how you felt about this?
I didn't see much point in responding to the ad with criticism(even if it well deserved). I feel it would have been a waste of time and would have just set me up to get into an e-mail war with a stranger.

I may consider responding and giving them a list of alternatives to re-homing the cat; harness training, setting up an outside enclosure for the pet or just playing with the pet to distract it ... but I'm unsure how the person would respond.

Maybe if I worded it as gently as possible it may make my suggestions more palatable but it's always difficult to say how a stranger will react.
Old January 19th, 2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I was taking taking my last dog to the park and as I was driving down my street I saw a chihuahua that looked very frighten and confused , the poor dog was running back and forth between 2 houses. I stopped my car and when to one off the houses and asked if the dog was their. The woman said "No but the dog was scratching at her back door " The woman just told the dog to go away! GRRR. I was really worried about the small dog as we had hawks flying around all the time. The woman that lives in the second house finally come home and I ask her if she has a chihuahua and she said "Yes, and he is upstairs in the house" I told her No the dog is outside . The woman had left her door open for a minute and the chihuahua being so small ran right past her and got out. The woman thought her dog was upstairs the whole time and did not think anything of it when her dog did not come downstairs to eat. So she when out shopping not knowing her poor dog was outside. People really need to be careful when they have a real small pet as they can sneak out of the without you knowing it.
Thank goodness you saw this lottle guy... just a few minutes ago I saw an add on a facebook group where a young person saw a small yorkie (again more yorkies) wondering around across his house, however his parents dont like street dogs comming into their house so he just posted that and left the dog out in -15-20 weather this was acouple days ago if I could have seen the add sooner I would have gone to get him, its not that hard to get him and even just take him to a safe warm place, not sure how anyone can have the heart to just leave him out there. I wonder if it was the same yorkie from that kijiji add I saw...
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassblonde View Post
I didn't see much point in responding to the ad with criticism(even if it well deserved). I feel it would have been a waste of time and would have just set me up to get into an e-mail war with a stranger.

I may consider responding and giving them a list of alternatives to re-homing the cat; harness training, setting up an outside enclosure for the pet or just playing with the pet to distract it ... but I'm unsure how the person would respond.

Maybe if I worded it as gently as possible it may make my suggestions more palatable but it's always difficult to say how a stranger will react.
I know what you mean about not knowing how a person will react , I think is so sad that anyone would give up a pet that old.
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post
Thank goodness you saw this lottle guy... just a few minutes ago I saw an add on a facebook group where a young person saw a small yorkie (again more yorkies) wondering around across his house, however his parents dont like street dogs comming into their house so he just posted that and left the dog out in -15-20 weather this was acouple days ago if I could have seen the add sooner I would have gone to get him, its not that hard to get him and even just take him to a safe warm place, not sure how anyone can have the heart to just leave him out there. I wonder if it was the same yorkie from that kijiji add I saw...
I would not leave until I knew the dog was safe , I was upset that no one else stopped to help the dog as it was so easy to see it was frighten. The poor dog was trying to get into it back yard but it had fence around the whole yard and the dog got confused and went to the house next door thinking that was his house. It was a lucky dog as I sometime see at many as 4 or 5 hawks flying around at one time. It was awful that dog next door neighbor did not help when him when she open the door up and saw the poor dog crying. I agree some people are heartless.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:35 PM

That is just awful! I used to go on kijiji and look at the animals that were being given away but I just can't anymore, I wanted to bring them all home and it just made me so angry. I wish the people were being honest about why they are dumping their pets but I don't believe half of them. People nowadays treat animals and often their own families as disposable which is disgustingly sad. Poor kitty
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Myself and a neighbor that pick up stray dogs quite often. We cannot stand to see any dog out there alone trying to find his/her home again. Most times we are lucky and find the family other times the stray has been taken to the Humane society shelter so that they can try to find the owners. I stay away from kiijii as it is way too painfull to see the ads that some people post.
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM

So today again I looked at kijiji - no matter how much I tell my self "no don't do it" today I just did for some reason.

I found an ad for a person giving away a shihtzu dog, literally said "getting rid of " -

I have to get rid of my older little shih tzu. She is a quiet little dog. She doesn't get along with our other dogs. She lost her right eye a few years ago. She gets along with out it just fine. She is kennel trained, house trained, and up to date on vaccinations.

I just kept asking my self... how did she lose her eye? aaaaagh!

then I saw an add for a lady who after 17 years had to put down her shihtzu furkid, and was looking for another one to come to her family, so I took it on me to email her and send her the link to the other add, I really really hope she will take her and give her a good home
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post
Then I saw an add for a lady who after 17 years had to put down her shihtzu furkid, and was looking for another one to come to her family, so I took it on me to email her and send her the link to the other add, I really really hope she will take her and give her a good home
I know you already know this but you did a good thing
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassblonde View Post
I know you already know this but you did a good thing
Thanks - its just very sad to see this kinds of adds, and she actually emailed me back saying she had not seen the add and was going to check it out; she said as well that it was sickening to her to see the amount of adds for people wanting to get rid of their pets.

So I am hoping with all my heart that she takes the pup, I may email her in a couple days to check... I'm starting to feel like a Kijiji Stalker!
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Kitty pimp

i learned long ago not to use the internet to read about stoopid people i meet enough in real life