Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old March 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Need Help

I just signed up hoping for a useable LIST on target, but clearly this is showing me it is NOT.

My dogs are sick and I have $ 11.00 for the rest of the month - so you want me NOT to ask about meds or dosage or what it may be - just white foam just now infecting the second dog even after a $175.00 trip to the vet for the first dog - that both are now sick - the med did not work.

Maybe you could tell me where to go, from what I have read, this list is NOT THE PLACE FOR ANY HELP. You are welcome to **** so it will be off this list.

Shame on you,

Bill, in need.

Last edited by Blathach; March 9th, 2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Please, no email addresses
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protron View Post

Maybe you could tell me where to go,
To the vet , if you don't have money to get your dogs the care they need , you shouldn't own dogs.

Do we look like freaking vets ?
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Protron what kind of help are you in need of? I am not sure I understand your question. Is your dog foaming at the mouth? pls give us a bit more info to go on?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I just signed up hoping for a useable LIST on target
What do you mean by this? Frenchy is right, we're not vets, but we do frequently have similar experiences with our animals and that can be helpful. Unfortunately, nothing can replace professional advice.
Perhaps if you described how the 'foaming at the mouth' came about, the meds that were prescribed, etc., some advice would be forthcoming.
Aggression will get you nowhere, although I understand that it is because your dogs are sick and you are anxious to help them. Still and all.
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Getting defensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
To the vet , if you don't have money to get your dogs the care they need , you shouldn't own dogs.

Yes - to the vet.

But, Frenchy - have you never fallen on hard financial times ?
Had things all fall apart at once - the car needs work, the kids get sick, you have to take time off work, stuff happens and the finances go to heck in a handbag.

Can't say someone shouldn't have a pet because of a financial circumstance that (may be) temporary.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi View Post
Yes - to the vet.

But, Frenchy - have you never fallen on hard financial times ?
Let's see , I live alone , have 3 dogs and 2 cats , and for the past 2 years , I spent about $10 000 to $12 000 on vet care , and that doesn't include basic care like vaccines and food. I managed. They will get vet care before I eat , that's the way it is.
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Getting defensive

Quote:
Let's see , I live alone , have 3 dogs and 2 cats , and for the past 2 years , I spent about $10 000 to $12 000 on vet care , and that doesn't include basic care like vaccines and food. I managed. They will get vet care before I eat , that's the way it is.
And such are your priorities, which is great. It obviously works for you and your pets.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Need help

Protron: If we knew what the diagnoses was and the meds perscribed then perhaps we could compare what we have been through with our own pets and give some advice. Have you informed your vet that the meds aren't working? My own vet never charges twice for a return visit relating to the same symptons, just the new perscriptions and refunds for the un-used meds.
As everyone in 'rescue' can attest to, emergencies happen too often and unfortunately our fosters and personal pets are not covered under OHIP as are children, which is why it is mandatory to have some sort of emerg. funds or a working credit card for those life/death situations. My car repairs would be the least of my concerns if a pet was in dire need of vet services.
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

We are not vets so that is why we never give out info on meds. Sometimes we share experiences but we are in no position - regardless of our own professions- to recommend any treatment or meds - and even a vet without knowing your dogs' history would be unable to do so.

I do not understand your first comment? Can you ask your vet to give you a break - help your dogs and then you pay him or her over time. Many vets will do this. No vet wants an animal to suffer. Your description could be so many diagnoses and I am scared to suggest anything lest I make it worse. It does sound serious and does sound as though they need vet care and the longer you wait, the worse it will be - and if it IS cost you worry about, it will cost more if you wait as well because any complications can potentially prolong the problem. I can't say they will because I have no idea what the problem is from your description. If you are unhappy with your vet, is there anyone else you can call or anyone you know who can help you.

There is an org called imom that will help people with sick animals but you have to apply and not all vets work with them.http://www.imom.org I am uncertain where you are located but they have helped a few Canadian pets but are mainly in the US. They do require updates and so forth but are a wonderful service for people who have spent their savings and have nothing left.
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thanks so much for overall level of politeness shown in this thread! You guys are amazing!!!!

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:

Yes, Bill, go to the vet, and again, and again... Frenchy, I think Bill said that he already gave $175 to his vet for nothing, because he didn't cure the dog. Even more, another one has become infected. You must be kidding when you send Bill to the vet again. In any case, there's no place for your sarcastic comment. Bill, go to the vet again and kill him/her! (This is joke, of course, but I can hardly stay calm and not be very, very angry with those fake vets). That reminds me of vets here, in almost whole Serbia. There is one big difference: here, their service is cheap, not more than $10 per visitation. So, with my average monthly income I can pay some 80-90 visitations. CBC and almost complete biochemistry cost about $25. You should think about your vets very deeply.

We, cat and dog lovers in Serbia are in very bad situation when medical care is in question. On the other hand, no one "sucks our blood".
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda Brada View Post
Yes, Bill, go to the vet, and again, and again... Frenchy, I think Bill said that he already gave $175 to his vet for nothing, because he didn't cure the dog. Even more, another one has become infected. You must be kidding when you send Bill to the vet again. In any case, there's no place for your sarcastic comment. Bill, go to the vet again and kill him/her! (This is joke, of course, but I can hardly stay calm and not be very, very angry with those fake vets). That reminds me of vets here, in almost whole Serbia. There is one big difference: here, their service is cheap, not more than $10 per visitation. So, with my average monthly income I can pay some 80-90 visitations. CBC and almost complete biochemistry cost about $25. You should think about your vets very deeply.

We, cat and dog lovers in Serbia are in very bad situation when medical care is in question. On the other hand, no one "sucks our blood".

It quite often takes more than one trip to the vet to get an animal diagnosed and/or healthy.
Just like one trip to the doctor doesn't always work with people.
Vet's and doctors aren't cheap, but they ARE necessary to diagnose and treat illness.

Cindy
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:05 AM

I wonder if the original poster has read any of this...
I hope he's returned to the vet to find out if he has any options.
These poor dogs...the owner must be beside himself with worry. Too bad he couldn't have joined us under better circumstances, he might have had a better first impression of us !
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
... and for the past 2 years , I spent about $10 000 to $12 000 on vet care ...
Do you believe that poor people (about 3.8 billion live on less than $2 a day) don't love their children? Could they spend $10 000 to $12 000 on medical care?

Your vet must be a rich man. Does he deserves that?

Quote:
... and that doesn't include basic care like vaccines and food.
I believe your dogs get vaccines on the regular yearly basis. Your vet suggests so, doesn't he? If that's true, maybe it's time to consider changing the vet. If you really love your dogs, of course.

Because I love dogs, I love your dogs too. And I am worried about them. I suggest you to click on the links below (there are plenty of similar on the web), read and then think about. Talk to some human doctors, too. Then you decide. Maybe your vet will become little less wealthy, but your dogs will surely become more healthy. Maybe you won't need to withhold your meals in order to provide them medical care, ever.

Here is the citation from one of those articles: "In other words, the vet gets dogs into his office by asserting that they need yearly shots. Vets charge $15 to $50 for vaccines that cost them less than two dollars apiece. Plus you pay $25 to $35 for the office visit. Vaccinations account for a major chunk of a veterinarian's income. It is in your vet's best financial interest that you bring your dog in every year."

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/hea...cinations.html
http://www.news.wisc.edu/8413
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/vac.html
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/vacci01.html
http://www.bogartsdaddy.com/Bouvier/...oncerns-uk.htm

After reading those articles, I decided to vaccinate my bitch every third year, even for rabies, although yearly vaccinating is my legal obligation. If necessary, I'll seek my dog's writes in the court of justice.
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Deda, you are preaching to the converted. Many people here know about the risks (and profits) of over-vaccinating and yes, we have all run - at least once - to the vet for imaginary problems. Also for many real, life-threatening ones.
And yes, we are lucky to live in a society where vet care is readily available.
Comparing children to animals is just dumb.
Are you here to exchange or just rant?
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Protron what kind of help are you in need of? I am not sure I understand your question. Is your dog foaming at the mouth? pls give us a bit more info to go on?

Cindy
What does it matter what are the symptoms? Maybe somebody has experience with such, or similar symptoms, so what? If he says anything about disease that he supposes, everyone will jump and yell on him that he is not a vet and that he has no right to expose his (medical) opinion. All one is allowed to say is that he is sorry, and he can do it not knowing what is about. One of these past days I suggested cat's guardian (on an isle in storm) to administer pain relieving medication. I was "spit" by almost everyone on this forum, including moderator who posted me private mail. 24 hours later vet administered pain relieving medication, but poor creature had to suffer that long, until he was carried to the vet. I was blamed for suggesting dose, although that suggestion was citation from a site, organized by The School of Veterinary Medicine, Yale University. Without the dosing suggestion, that would be cruel joke, like "administer something in unknown quantity". The politics is that only vets can talk about medications. I don't argue about politics, I accepted it when I subscribed (though it was not explicitly said that I must not mention medications). I am sorry I did it. Anyhow, I am in your house, so I have to accept your habits and demands.

I don't like to sound sore, I'm just little disappointed. I came to this forum from the end of the world - one step farther and you fall into nothingness. That is my Serbia. That's why I long for any suggestion, especially if it is supported by personal experience, of medications and their doses. What if nobody must not answer my question?

Last edited by Deda Brada; March 10th, 2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Let's keep topics on track please.

This thread is NOT about vaccinations.

Thanks in advance

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
What does it matter what are the symptoms? Maybe somebody has experience with such, or similar symptoms, so what? If he says anything about disease that he supposes, everyone will jump and yell on him that he is not a vet and that he has no right to expose his (medical) opinion. All one is allowed to say is that he is sorry, and he can do it not knowing what is about. One of these past days I suggested cat's guardian (on an isle in storm) to administer pain relieving medication. I was "spit" by almost everyone on this forum, including moderator who posted me private mail. 24 hours later vet administered pain relieving medication, but poor creature had to suffer that long, until he was carried to the vet. I was blamed for suggesting dose, although that suggestion was citation from a site, organized by The School of Veterinary Medicine, Yale University. Without the dosing suggestion, that would be cruel joke, like "administer something in unknown quantity". The politics is that only vets can talk about medications. I don't argue about politics, I accepted it when I subscribed (though it was not explicitly said that I must not mention medications). I am sorry I did it. Anyhow, I am in your house, so I have to accept your habits and demands.

I don't like to sound sore, I'm just little disappointed. I came to this forum from the end of the world - one step farther and you fall into nothingness. That is my Serbia. That's why I long for any suggestion, especially if it is supported by personal experience, of medications and their doses. What if nobody must not answer my question?
How can we possibly offer any advice reguarding an illness if we don't know the symptoms? What if I offered you advice on some medication to give your beloved pet and it DIED?

If you posted that your dog had runny poop and I told you about my dog's runny poop being Giardia, what medications were given and what dosage - but your dog's runny poop is from Parvo (which I can't possibly know - I'm not a vet and didn't see, smell runny poop). If you took the time to treat your dog for Giardia - it would die.

The offering of personal experience here is so that you can take that, present it to your VET and maybe, just maybe have another venue to look into.

As for telling someone how to medicate their pet and with what/what dosage - how in the world do we know what size your dog is, what allergies it might have, what to do if the dog should have an allergic reaction to what we advised you to give your dog? Our well meaning free advice could, realistically, cause the DEATH of your dog!!

Look at it like this - if your child had a stomach ache - would you go online and ask people if they thought it was appendicitis? I would hope not! I would think you would take it to a doctor.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
And yes, we are lucky to live in a society where vet care is readily available.
Are you? With $11 till the end of the month?

Quote:
Comparing children to animals is just dumb.
Is it really? Lucky you.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

We are not vets here. Guessing on symptoms or medications is putting your animals life at risk, period.
Even if you did decide to self medicate without consulting a vet, you won't get much for $11.00 til the end of the month.
I would suggest not listening to people who tell you to self medicate without a proper diagnosis. Contact your vet and see if there is a way to pay off your visit gradually if need be or even your closest animal shelter or humane society to see if there is any way they can help.

Cindy
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Scam

New here, but does this not look like a scam? I have 11 dollars,, pet lovers will try and help me out????? Just a question. I posted to meet people, ask a simple question. And everyone is answering this person who is more than likly looking for a way to rip you all off? Just a Thought
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
How can we possibly offer any advice reguarding an illness if we don't know the symptoms? What if I offered you advice on some medication to give your beloved pet and it DIED?

If you posted that your dog had runny poop and I told you about my dog's runny poop being Giardia, what medications were given and what dosage - but your dog's runny poop is from Parvo (which I can't possibly know - I'm not a vet and didn't see, smell runny poop). If you took the time to treat your dog for Giardia - it would die.

The offering of personal experience here is so that you can take that, present it to your VET and maybe, just maybe have another venue to look into.

As for telling someone how to medicate their pet and with what/what dosage - how in the world do we know what size your dog is, what allergies it might have, what to do if the dog should have an allergic reaction to what we advised you to give your dog? Our well meaning free advice could, realistically, cause the DEATH of your dog!!

Look at it like this - if your child had a stomach ache - would you go online and ask people if they thought it was appendicitis? I would hope not! I would think you would take it to a doctor.
Sandi, I quite agree with you. Nobody can know what happens, according to just few symptoms. No one (I hope) is dull enough to treat his pet, or child, that way. What I am talking about, are simple and harmless things. When your child has fever in the middle of the night, will you try to decrease it. And if you are inexperienced, and your, lets say, sister is, would you accept her advice? I would, am I stupid because of that? The same goes for pain relieving and similar things.

For your information, when we talk about medications dosages, size of a dog or cat really doesn't matter at all. Doses are always in mg/kg, i.e. mg/lb of body weight. Allergies? Did your vet know about your dog's allergies when he saw him for the first time? You always learn about medication allergies the hardest way possible - after administering a drug.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:27 AM

To those who are in the know - only

Quote:

To those who are in the know - ONLY - please do NOT reply with pats on the back or go to the vet or save your money stuff - if you have had EXACTLY this problem, then please report what was done.

Jaquita, s/fm/8years with shots up to date developed a cough about a month ago. It was minor and I expected it was nothing to worry about but then she was next to me in bed and coughed up white foam - this set off alarm bells, none of the other 8 dogs have any problems and all have up to date vacs.

I provide shelter to these pets having for the most part bartered them away from bums on the street, who mistreat them. One was being dragged behind a shopping cart filled with cans - he gave up the dog for a 6 pack of beer. She is sitting on my lap as I write this knowing now she has a warm bed and good food and medical care and most of all my love. Here most strays are killed. Once one of my dogs was pulled from the fence by kids. I found him 3 weeks later at the dog pond which I checked every single day. It cost me $ 235 to get him back - I do not trust anamimal control at all.

So I called and got help for seeing the vet. He gave Amoxi 50 mg 3 times a day. Now, at the end of the 6th day, another has started vomiting white foam, she is not coughing, just vomiting. Jaquita is still coughing, little to no improvement.

Question: what is white foam - no guessers - reply ONLY if you know exactly.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You seem to be missing the point. Without actually SEEING the white foam and SEEING the pet we can't possibly tell you EXACTLY what your problem is. Even then, we don't have vet training and couldn't possibly offer a definate diagnosis.

There are organizations available that help people in EXACTLY your situation with funding/loans for vet care. Your time would probably be better spent looking into something like that as opposed to trying to find someone to diagnose your dog over the internet.

There is a reason why this forum has the rules about giving medical advice in situations is this - about a year a go, a young man posted here with his puppy's medical problem. While he spent his time argueing with us because we couldn't diagnose his pup, his puppy died. Had he taken the pup to the vet, it may well have survived.
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Have you looked at things like kennel cough? it is contagious from what I have read and maybe thats whats being passed around!

too you for saving these precious animals.

I cant say for sure what the foam is but when my dog had an upset tummy and would vomit sometimes he would foam a bit at the mouth before vomitting..I thought it was just his upset tummy??

I hope things get better for you!

Would love to see some pics of your fur family!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Swift Tribe

also, what are you feeding??

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Owned by goldens

Need help

Quote:
To those who are in the know - ONLY - please do NOT reply with pats on the back or go to the vet or save your money stuff - if you have had EXACTLY this problem, then please report what was done.

Jaquita, s/fm/8years with shots up to date developed a cough about a month ago. It was minor and I expected it was nothing to worry about but then she was next to me in bed and coughed up white foam - this set off alarm bells, none of the other 8 dogs have any problems and all have up to date vacs.

I provide shelter to these pets having for the most part bartered them away from bums on the street, who mistreat them. One was being dragged behind a shopping cart filled with cans - he gave up the dog for a 6 pack of beer. She is sitting on my lap as I write this knowing now she has a warm bed and good food and medical care and most of all my love. Here most strays are killed. Once one of my dogs was pulled from the fence by kids. I found him 3 weeks later at the dog pond which I checked every single day. It cost me $ 235 to get him back - I do not trust anamimal control at all.

So I called and got help for seeing the vet. He gave Amoxi 50 mg 3 times a day. Now, at the end of the 6th day, another has started vomiting white foam, she is not coughing, just vomiting. Jaquita is still coughing, little to no improvement.

I don't know for sure of course but it sounds like your dogs may have kennel cough. It will probably go through the whole pack as it is quite contagious. Most of the time it will clear up on its own however some dogs will require antibiotics.
Are the dogs eating, drinking, behaving normally?
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
You seem to be missing the point. Without actually SEEING the white foam and SEEING the pet we can't possibly tell you EXACTLY what your problem is. Even then, we don't have vet training and couldn't possibly offer a definate diagnosis.

There are organizations available that help people in EXACTLY your situation with funding/loans for vet care. Your time would probably be better spent looking into something like that as opposed to trying to find someone to diagnose your dog over the internet...
Don't you remember that Protron wrote clearly:

Quote:
Anyway, you send him to get a loan and go to the vet again! Which one? Maybe in Protron's area there are no good vets. Man was clear: if you don't have advice, don't reply!

Thanks God, there are still people like Coppperbelle, who do have some experience and are not afraid to adduce it. I am little tired of reading such posts, like: "I am not trained vet, so I mustn't tell you anything you asked".
Why all the people can't understand that the one who asks for advice, i.e. experience, is also responsible if he misuses it. We are not animal killers and, just expressing our opinion, we do not kill anyone!

And, Sandi, vomiting white foam is the symptom. The only one, obviously.
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Owned by goldens

Thanks God, there are still people like Coppperbelle, who do have some experience and are not afraid to adduce it. I am little tired of reading such posts, like: "I am not trained vet, so I mustn't tell you anything you asked".
Why all the people can't understand that the one who asks for advice, i.e. experience, is also responsible if he misuses it. We are not animal killers and, just expressing our opinion, we do not kill anyone!

I am in no way diagnosing the dogs illness as I am not a vet nor have I ever met the dogs. The original poster said there was coughing and white foam which could indicate kennel cough. I did ask if the dogs were eating, playing etc.. normally .
It is always best to bring the dog to the vet but this is not possible in this case as the op does not have the money to do so right now.
I just wanted to suggest that it was possible this was what the dogs had so that the OP can look up the symptoms on the net and then decide what the next step should be.
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:43 AM

This thread is now closed. Please do not reopen this issue or refer to this in other threads.
Closed Thread