Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Can cats eat ham?

Hi
I was wondering if it is ok to feed cats and kittens toupie ham? Not for the main meal, but a few pieces when feeding at their regualr time? I haven't been feeding them "real meat" until I found this forum. And I have just fed them a few pieces of chicken so far.

I have a male cat 6 years, and two kittens about 4 months old.

Thanks
Debbie
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:30 PM

Ham is generally not recommended for feeding to cats. The salt level is fairly high, the fat content is as well this makes it harder for them to digest.

Quote:
http://www.stluciaanimals.org/nottofeed.php

Ham and other salty meats and foods are very dangerous to pets. In addition to being high in fat, they are also very salty which can cause serious stomach ache or pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called "bloat." This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing the pet to die. Please avoid giving ham and salty foods to your pets.
Years ago I used to give my cat ham as a treat (she loves it) but now she cannot tolerate even the tiniest piece she throws it back up almost immediately. :sad:

It is better to stick with chicken, hamburger meat aslong as there is no spices, sauces especially with onions in it.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks growler, I won't feed them the ham then, but will try them with the hamburger and keep giving them chicken. They did like the pieces of chicken, even Willie did, six yr old cat. And no spices, I did know about not giving them the onions and garlic.

Thanks for the info.
Debbie
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:47 PM

I should also mention stay away from processed deli meats they're also high in salt & nitrates

Turkey and salmon are also good to give as treats. Turkey digests abit slower than chicken but still good. Salmon you have to watch cats become addicted to it very quickly

Your welcome

Old October 4th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Addicted? Bad or good addiction? I do have whole salmons in our freezer here. *G*

I thought I read somewhere about not giving tuna to a cat because they can become addicted to that seriously. It might have been something Pam Bennett Johnson wrote, I'm having a senior moment here and I can't remember. *S*
Old October 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is some info on why feeding fish to cats isn't such a great idea: http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...ding-for-cats/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 5th, 2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Addicted? Bad or good addiction? I do have whole salmons in our freezer here. *G*

I thought I read somewhere about not giving tuna to a cat because they can become addicted to that seriously. It might have been something Pam Bennett Johnson wrote, I'm having a senior moment here and I can't remember. *S*
could be good & bad It may make for a treat that you can use to tempt them to eat if they are off their food, used to lure them in if they've escaped outside etc. Some cats once given fish will only ever eat fish that makes it very difficult to ensure they are getting the proper nutrition as SCM's link shows. It also creates a monster in the kitchen anytime You want to have fish for dinner

Definately no on the tuna it is far more addicting than salmon & not as healthy as salmon.

My grrl is raw fed & gets salmon once a month just for something different. If I am cooking salmon for myself she is a complete pest until she gets a wee bit & until she is assured there is no more - that it's all gone