Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old March 31st, 2006, 07:45 PM

Anyone care to dissect Harry Potter?

Yes, I know they're supposed to be children's books, but they're really, really good! Is there anyone here who would like to discuss the books?
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I love the Harry Potter books! I've read every one and I can't wait for the next. The last one took me two days to read!!!
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:51 PM

I'm interested! What do you want to talk about? Do you think Harry will survive the last book?
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:06 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I honestly don't know what to expect with the next book. There are so many different scenarios that JK Rowling could take. I just can't wait for it.

As W4F stated in another thread, do you think Dumbledore is really dead? I think there is a good possibility that he's still alive, but then I'm not sure because his picture did go onto the wall of the headmasters office with all the others that are deceased. I hope he's not because I think Harry needs the support and guidance of Dumbledore, though there were times that he didn't realize he needed it or know Dumbledore was doing the right thing for his wellbeing. But then, Harry did drop out of Hogwarts so would it be possible to still have easy ties there? What about the Ministry of Magic? What are they going to do now? They've been so wrong for so long and wouldn't believe the reality in front of them, so what are they going to do now???
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I read only the first one. I enjoyed it and I thought that Ms. Rowling has a great imagination and also a great understanding of kids' imaginations.

I just wanted to put in my two cents, that a friend of ours lives in England and works as an extra in television and films. He was in a Bond film and now has a role in the new Harry Potter. He has lines in this one I believe. At any rate, he showed us pictures he took on the set and it was really fascinating. He's one of the old photographs in the hall, so we saw the hair and make up process, and also pics from the filming of the quidditch sequence. Is that right? Quidditch?

Anyway, you know what I mean. It was very cool to see the equipment used to keep the young'uns flying.
Old April 1st, 2006, 11:53 AM
owned by Tucker

I still haven't finished the 4th book, and I do have the 5th. I have seen 3 of the movies, I really enjoy them and so does my 16 year old son, mind you he was younger when we started reading them, but she is a good author.
Old April 1st, 2006, 12:25 PM

She is a fantastic author and I hope to be just like her when I grow up. Seriously, I so envy her the ability to put together a 7-book series, leaving all sorts of clues along the way for her rabid fans to pick up and formulate theories on, keep the hundreds of characters and their relationships to one-another all straight and error-free (because her rabid fans would tear her apart if they found one mistake!), make up all sorts of imaginary spells and charms and other rules that apply only to this new "world" she's created, and still manage to throw it all together into an extremely entertaining story.

Those of you who haven't read all of the books might want to stay away because there are going to be some serious spoilers in this thread!

YES! Harry will survive the last book! He's the hero - he has to! Besides, there are all sorts of paralells (sp?) between this series and the Lord of the Rings. If Frodo can come out of the Cracks of Doom alive, then Harry can defeat Voldemort and live to tell the tale. I wholeheartedly believe Harry is destined to become Dumbledore's successor. So, he will have to defeat Voldemort (just like DD defeated the dark wizard Grindewald), the curse on the Defense Against the Dark Arts teaching position will be lifted, Harry will become the new DADA teacher when he graduates, and eventually go on to become the new Headmaster (in 50 or so years).

Is Dumbledore alive? Again, heck yeah! Another paralell - if Gandalf can come back from the dead, so can DD. About his portrait - it doesn't say anywhere that the pictures on the walls are of dead headmasters/mistresses, just that they're past headmasters/mistresses. Maybe that's why he was "sleeping" and refused to look up - because he didn't want to have to answer any questions from anyone just yet.

Personally, I think he's alive, and will work behind the scenes, without Harry knowing about it. Just like Gandalf did in LOTR. He worked to keep Sauron's attention diverted from Frodo's purpose. JKR has already said that we will see Harry into his 7th year at school, so we know the school will reopen and Harry et al will return to it. So, if Harry is supposed to be at school, studying hard for his Newts and learning all sorts of new ways to kill Voldemort, then I believe DD will be out in the world, undercover, trying to find and destroy the horcruxes (or, at least, leaving clues for Harry to find and destroy them, because I think it would be near impossible for Harry to find them all by himself, even with the help of his friends, while attending school full-time).

Phew! That took a lot out of me! Now I need another coffee!
Old April 1st, 2006, 12:27 PM

Doggy Lover: in the 5th book, Harry comes across as a petulant brat, and as a parent, I so wanted to smack him off the back of the head a few times. Just a warning that you might not like him as much in that book as in the others. But it's still a really good book!
Old April 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM

Hmmm.... you remember a lot more details than I do!!! But I still think maybe Harry will die in the last book. First I think JK might want to put a firm end to it. Second, I think he may have to give the ultimate sacrifice to triumph. She certainly doesn't shrink from making the series darker and darker. It will certainly be interesting and of course I hope that he survives!!
Re. the bratty-ness; true to life I'd say!! most teens go through a period where they are very smackable!!
Old April 1st, 2006, 02:59 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I hope Harry doesn't die and the series does end up paralleling LOTR, but it wouldn't surprise me if JK did kill Harry off in the end. Something like him killing Voldemart and himself getting killed sort of to balance good and evil since so much of their life has been intertwined with each other including their thoughts and dreams.

That was a very good point about Dumbledore sleeping in the picture. I forgot that detail and it is true that they never said the former headmasters were deceased, another good detail. I think if Dumbledore was alive it would be a wonderful turn of events. That would explain how Snape was able to hide from Dumbledore like he did -- maybe DD knew about Snape, but was keeping Snape close to him -- the keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Maybe he was able to read Snapes mind and thoughts when Snape thought he was able to cloud it. That would make a lot of sense. I thought the last book was a little abrupt with that. I mean DD is the world's greatest wizard, how could he not know about Snape??? I hope DD is alive!!
Old April 1st, 2006, 03:36 PM
Boss-lady!

I don't know-I think that if she left Harry alive, the temptation to keep going on with the series (or fan demand for it) might be too great-see Anne Rice and her obsession with Lestat for an example.

Good catch with Dumbledore's portrait, W4F. I've always been fascinated with the living portraits in the series-how is it that a wizard can go on existing after death? And how can they move from one portrait to another and yet still be in all of them, ala Lockhart and his endless self-portraits? Not to mention the famous witch and wizard trading cards!

I don't think DD is dead, and I think the fact that Harry heard a phoenix cry and it made him glad during DD's memorial is a clue to that. After all, a phoenix rises again, right? And IMO, Snape is a double agent for sure. I think he and DD were working not only to bring down Voldemort, but to protect Harry, Draco and the rest of the kids at Hogwart's. DD certainly seemed to be aware of what Draco was being asked to do and gave him lots of opportunity to repent.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Note --- disclaimer if you have not read the last book ---

Ohhh, I have a plethora of theories and have a Harry Potter Chair in my office. Love the books - I love how children can see them as fun and yet there is a certain sattirical look at society by J.K Rowling. I think Dumbledore will return - it makes no sense that someone of his ability and importance is gone. I also think there is something about Draco (double agent or whatever). It has been awhile since I read it- when it came out at 1st. (I DO have to keep up with my patients yaknow, lol)

I adore McG who can turn into a cat and Hermoine and Hagrid and Ron and of course Harry. I love the Latin (Rowling's major was classics) and other mythological names.

I hear so many compelling theories - usually from 10 year olds who have thoroughly analyzed the book after reading it 8 times. It's wonderful to see children reading.

Now, about the Da Vinci Code? (I know, that's a seperate issue) and I won't hijack! <g> I am just shy of starting threads here since I seem to get jumped on. So I won't be engaging in that for awhile. I am not quite up to that yet - just campaigning in the Nova Scotia election, lol

Last edited by CyberKitten; May 20th, 2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old September 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I have read all the books and was shocked when Dumbledore died...
But maybe...just maybe he isn't really dead. I do agree with the parallels to LOTR, but as was said before, if Rowling really wants to give the books an end, she may decide to end Harry's character. I would like to think that he will survive, defeat Voldemort and take over as Headmaster. Who knows...But I can't wait for the next one
Old September 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM
The demons' servant

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..." - The Prophecy from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

So either they both die or one of them does...hmmm....I hope Harry doesn't die because then the world would be ruled by Evil and that's not a good thing.

So Harry can't die....Dumbledore is....well Dumbledore....

From the sounds of it Draco was sort of forced into (murdering Dumbledore) but I think he's actually got some good in him too.

I just can't wait!

Megan
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:45 AM

I found this interesting. Posted on Sept 13 2006, when JK was interviewed.

'Tonight's audience was treated with much more informative and revealing answers than yesterday. Here are a few highlights (again, paraphrased):

If you could bring one of your characters to life -- other than Harry -- who would it be? Hagrid. We all want a Hagrid in our lives.

(Question about Aunt Petunia's potential to love Harry): I will say this... There's a little more to Aunt Petunia than meets the eye.

(Question about upcoming deaths): You shouldn't expect Dumbledore to pull a Gandalf. I need to be more explicit: Dumbledore is definitely dead. I know there's an entire site out there called DumbledoreIsNotDead.com, and I'm sorry they're not going to like this answer.

If you could host five of your own characters for dinner, who would they be? Harry, Ron, and Hermione... [Rowling pauses; thinks about a different character who's dead but does not say his/her name. King interjects: "they could be dead"]. Dumbledore.... [another pause]. Hagrid.

So Dumbledore is truly dead.

Here is the site.http://www.hpana.com/news.19531.html

Ebony - miniature schnauzer
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers
(Question about upcoming deaths): You shouldn't expect Dumbledore to pull a Gandalf. I need to be more explicit: Dumbledore is definitely dead. I know there's an entire site out there called DumbledoreIsNotDead.com, and I'm sorry they're not going to like this answer.
Yeah, I had heard this too. :sad: But, she also said it was a little more involved than that, so I think we will see DD communicate with Harry somehow - maybe through his portrait, maybe it has something to do with that mirror Sirius gave Harry, maybe through the veiled portal ... who knows what she has up her sleeve? I just know that I'm looking forward to book 7 with equal amounts of anticipation and dread.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM

I love Harry Potter too! They may be children's books, but everyone at the office is reading them . . .