Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:36 PM

dog crossing behind u while walking

ok need ideas on how to break Nyx of the habit of going behind me n to switch sides. she used to do this once in a blue moon. Since getting Karma its now almost any time she on a leash walk. which is daily until we can get to where its offleash.
It doesn't matter if Karma is walking on the same side or opposite side of her she will all of a sudden go behind me to walk on the other side. Its driving me crazy cause i can't be letting her do that more so if my mom has to walk them.

Karma started to do it a once or twice on the walk but once i corrected her by telling her no and making sure she stayed on one side unless she crossed in front. She didn't do it again.

With Nyx being the 100lbs its alot harder to hold her to one side at times as i can correct her and we start walking again she slows down to walking beside me(which i would want at times) and then she goes behind before i can correct her. I am drawing blanks as how to really correct her on this.I moved her onto the shorter leash and she still does it. so now walk time its as relaxing as i would like cause i have to keep trying to correct her on this.
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Would it help if the leash was a shorter? I use to walk Marty with a 6 ft leash but I would keep tripping on the leash and Marty would try to walk on my right side and I have use my cane on that that side . So I how use his 4 ft leash and boy it helped a lot . I do not want Marty walking right next as he is so small and I can't see him and if I lose my balance I could step on his little paw. This has happen before. . I something wish I hand one more hand as it is can be a juggling act hold the leash and my cane and trying to pick up Marty's poop.
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

BK gives good advice
Curious- what kind of leash are you using, and how long is it?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:32 AM

ones just over 3 feet n the other is just over 5 feet.
i using a regular nylon leash, when i walk late at night i have a leash that flashes about that's about 4 feet.
tried the shorter and it doesn't help. she was a bit better late last night as i let them have some free time before i leashed them. (got to love small towns that are usually dead just after 10pm in most areas).
I do have a daul nylon dog leash, i just hate to have to use it as i rather not try and not correct the dog thats behaving, will use it more as they get older and more behaved for some of their walks.

Have tried the shorter leash it helps but not so much as she usually catches my legs a lot faster then with the some what longer leash.
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Then you may need to have a dog trainer help you before you get knocked off your feet. There are some self-help utubes on lines , I am not sure how good the dog trainers are but I found something interesting about why we walk our dog on the left side . At one time guns where on the right side of people so they walked their dogs on the left side so it would not get shot by mistake. I wonder if this is true.
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:56 PM

another possibility

I don't normally use retractable leashes but have found when walking more than one it's handy because you can keep it short, making it impossible for the dog to leave your side more than a few inches.
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmacdon View Post
I don't normally use retractable leashes but have found when walking more than one it's handy because you can keep it short, making it impossible for the dog to leave your side more than a few inches.
I have notice where I live most dog owners that use retractable leashes have a hard controlling their dogs and the dogs do not seen to be trained at all. People seen to think if they use a retractable leash the dog needs no training in my city. It's this the same where you live? I think most dogs are taking their owners for a walk in my city.
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:20 PM

I agree

Retractable leashes are often an excuse to let dogs get into trouble. I bought a couple of them before I took training (I needed it more than the dog did) and since then I only use it with the leash fully retracted and the brake on because that's shorter than the shortest leash I could find. It gave me more control while teaching the dogs to heel and as noted it helps to avoid tangling when walking more than one dog. With my 3 little ones I kept finding that after a block the leashes would be pretty much braided together.
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I was at park with my last dog and someone had their dog on a retractable leash and I kept backing away from the people and dog as I did not want my dog legs to get cut by the retractable leash. The people kept letting their dog get closer to me and when they finally realize I was trying avoid them they walked away then I notice both my knees where hurting and when I looked down I saw I was bleeding! The retractable leash was so sharp I did not feel it cut me and the people where done by then. I am glad it was not
dog's legs that got cut would had been deeper on his long thin legs. I really hate retractable leashes .
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:00 PM

i will have to call a few trainers. as Nyx for some reason doesn't like certain people.
i only get the retractable leashes if they are fulll nylon not those part nylon and a cord.

i try n keep my dogs away from the road side. since if i step down and get hit its the drivers fault but if the dog does its my fault. Found this out also true when walking on the highway u walk on the white lineor just over n get hit its the driver fault were as if a dog was on the white line or just over its your fault
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottysrule View Post
i will have to call a few trainers. as Nyx for some reason doesn't like certain people.
i only get the retractable leashes if they are fulll nylon not those part nylon and a cord.

i try n keep my dogs away from the road side. since if i step down and get hit its the drivers fault but if the dog does its my fault. Found this out also true when walking on the highway u walk on the white lineor just over n get hit its the driver fault were as if a dog was on the white line or just over its your fault
Are you saying it was my fault I got cut by the retractable leash??? If so reread my comment . I said I was backing AWAY from the people and their dog , they kept getting into my space .

Last edited by Barkingdog; August 21st, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:02 PM

barkingdog.. i didnt mean it to sound like that. i meant that i dont use retractable near roads as if u dog gets hit by a car its the owners fault even if the dog steps off the curb or goes a bit over the white line.
i dont like the mostly cord retractable as i have gotten rope burn a few times because of them.. so i prefer the pure nylon like a leash retractable.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Barkingdog, I don't know where you got that impression from! I didn't read anything that implied you were at fault for getting cut. Rottysrule was talking about walking on the road.