Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old October 11th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Italy Bans Collies and Corgis

For anyone who says "BSL doesn't concern me".

"THE Queen's favourite breed of dog, the corgi, has been put on an Italian
government list of dogs banned because they are dangerous.
>
> The clampdown, announced yesterday, comes after a
> series of attacks by
> dogs in recent weeks which have left several young
> children and adults badly
> injured and scarred for life. Girolamo Sirchia,
> Italy's health minister,
> announced the emergency law which covers 92
> different breeds of dogs and
> bans children and those with a criminal record from
> keeping them.
>
> Corgis - of which the Queen has more than 100 -
> collies and St Bernard
> rescue dogs have all been labelled as "very
> dangerous" according to the new
> law.
>
> He said: "Scientifically, it's difficult to define
> which dogs are
> aggressive or not, so its better to group them all
> together."
>
> Potential owners who are considered suitable to keep
> the dogs will have to
> make sure that they are muzzled and kept on a leash.
>
> They will also have to take out insurance in case
> they are involved in any
> attacks. Anyone breaking the new law faces a
> three-month jail sentence and a
> fine of #150. Yesterday, Italian newspapers
> questioned how collies, corgis
> and St Bernards could be classed as dangerous, with
> a headline reading:
> "Man's best friend Lassie - is a killer".
>
> However extreme putting corgis on a list of
> dangerous dogs may seem, the
> Queen herself has been a victim of their temper. In
> 1991, she needed three
> stitches after she split up a fight between two of
> hers.
>
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Some of the info was missing on that crosspost - minors, deliquents and criminals are forbidden from owing these animals, if you're an adult and not a criminal you're fine.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...=news.quirkies

In part,

"Italy has put border collies, corgis and St Bernards on a dangerous dogs list that bans children and criminals from owning them.
A new law came into force this weekend after being passed by emergency decree. The move follows a series of pit bull attacks that made front-page headlines this summer." Newfs, GSDs and others are also on the list of 92 breeds.
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

i dont believe in muzzleing any breed or labeling them dangerous, each individual dog is different as we all know.

but having said that, the idea of banning children from owning them is a good idea, stop parents dumping christmas presents and what not,

banning a person with a criminal record, that is disgusting. it is to generalised and unfair to those ppl who have served their time for their crime.

quote'Some of the info was missing on that crosspost - minors, deliquents and criminals are forbidden from owing these animals, if you're an adult and not a criminal you're fine.'

well it actually says criminal record, just because you have committed crime in the past does not make you an evil criminal who does not deserve a dog .

i may have a criminal record, does that mean i dont deserve to have a dog? does that mean i am naturally evil and will create kilers of my dogs?? shall they just take charlie away due to mistakes i made in my past? i cannot change the past, just not repeat it, but if ppl want to label ppl criminals and treat them like secound class citezens then you will get heaps of return offenders, if your told your crap and worth nothing and dont even deserve the love of an animal, well you start acting like the crap society tells you you are and that is dangerous.

but ban kids from them, sure great idea.
Old October 11th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Certainly not defending Italy's list, but how does a child own a dog anyway? Isn't there an adult in the home? The dog may "belong" to the child, but the adult still has the full responsibility. I can't imagine children growing up without dogs. "My" dog was the joy of my childhood! Children learn from pets. But, there is parental supervision of the "ownership".
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
92 different breeds of dogs
That's what really scares me! *if* Michael Bryant passes this legislation this CAN happen here, please don't kid yourself. Dog owners NEED to fight this together! :sad:
Old November 10th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

They is just disgusting and how long have we been saying that it affects every dog owner.
Melanie I think criminals with a record of violent crimes should not be allowed to own a pit or a staff and that is more about protecting the dog then the owner. If you get busted for smoking a joint who really cares I am talking about violence and that would need to be clarified. Because you know most violence toward people starts with kids violence toward animals. So maybe parents who have these kids that abuse and hurt animals got them help as kids they might not turn into Jeffery Dalmers which is a proven fact. The degress of violence increases as they get older and move from animals to people.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 10th, 2004, 12:48 PM
banned user

St Bernard I have never met a more docile breed. They obviously watch to many movies (Cujo). Considering that the Neopolitan Mastiff is an italian breed... have they banned their "own" breed too??

Bugsy and Peaches would like a moment to express thier opinion. Ahem....

"Since I'm to far to bite them... tell them to bite me"
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Hi folks. Re: children - I believe that portion might have been put in place for the 15-16 year olds who ran away from home and formed gangs. A normal child living with their parental units does not technically "own" the animal, even if it was a gift to the child - the parents are respinsible for it, legally speaking. As for criminals, I beleive that law does refer only to those with a history of violent criminal acts. Remember folks, the dogs aren't "banned". They are "restricted". And I do believe the Neopolitan Mastiff is on the list along with other Italian breeds. No patriotic amnesty there!
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

There's a very thin line between "restricted" and "banned". IF this legislation is put in place, my dog will be considered "restricted". Other pit bulls that enter the province AFTER the date set forth in the legislation are "banned".

Quote:
THE Queen's favourite breed of dog, the corgi, has been put on an Italian government list of dogs banned because they are dangerous.
That's a direct quote for Lucky's article... says banned...??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Remember folks, the dogs aren't "banned". They are "restricted".
This is VERY scary....
Quote:
He said: "Scientifically, it's difficult to define which dogs are aggressive or not, so its better to group them all together."
That's the direction I am afraid that Mr. Bryant might be headed....
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Of course MB says that is not the way that this bill is heading but I think if his lips are moving he is lying.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 13th, 2004, 04:58 AM

Just an observation on this I know an Italian who lives two doors from me with a very good friend of ours.He goes home regularly and our friend spends a lot of time over there also He comes from the south of Italy "altmaura" to be precise and they both are animal lovers dogs especially and they say that over here in the UK we look at our pets in an entirely differnet light Italians dont tend to treat thier pets on the whole as a part of the family as we do and there are lots of strays roaming around over there so it leads me to think that they are fearfull of dogs because of the way they view them maybe one day they will come to look on thier pets in the same light as we do Yes I agree of course,Banning dogs of any breed is wrong its people from owening dogs where the ban should put "GET TO KNOW YOUR DOG "
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:35 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart
Just an observation on this I know an Italian who lives two doors from me with a very good friend of ours.He goes home regularly and our friend spends a lot of time over there also He comes from the south of Italy "altmaura" to be precise and they both are animal lovers dogs especially and they say that over here in the UK we look at our pets in an entirely differnet light Italians dont tend to treat thier pets on the whole as a part of the family as we do and there are lots of strays roaming around over there so it leads me to think that they are fearfull of dogs because of the way they view them maybe one day they will come to look on thier pets in the same light as we do Yes I agree of course,Banning dogs of any breed is wrong its people from owening dogs where the ban should put "GET TO KNOW YOUR DOG "
Stewart

Altamura is a small town in the hills of Puglia. IMO you cannot base his opinion
of Italians as the standard.

Old November 14th, 2004, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy

Altamura is a small town in the hills of Puglia. IMO you cannot base his opinion
of Italians as the standard.

Bugsy what I was trying to point out is that the Italians way of life is quite different from the UK which in distance is not that great 2,500 miles little more maybe and yet here in the UK where I live we seem to treat and view our animals quite differently.Yes there are some folk over there who look upon dogs and cats etc much the same way as us but its not as widespread, My Italian friend said this himself.So no wonder they call for bans which we find hard to reason,And while this knee jerk reaction may seem right to them sadly its a case that its us the human animals that need legislating against maybe one day they may realise this Are you saying that to ban breeds is ok then I am not trying to dissrespect the Italians its thier choise in thier country just understand why and thats why I say this.Have you other suggestions as to why they may think that what they are doing is the thing to do then
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:05 PM
banned user

Europe

Stewart

Quote: Have you other suggestions as to why they may think that what they are doing is the thing to do then
Please read the following article....

THE LATEST NEWS ON BREED SPECIFIC LEGISLATION FROM EUROPE AND THE REST OF THE WORLD

Europe

Denmark, Netherlands (Holland) (proposal on enforced psychological test for the breeds: American staffordshire terrier, fila brasiliero, dogo argentino, mastino napoletano, mastiff [all breeds] and rottweilers), Norway have banned Pit Bulls and Tosa Inu, France does not allow Pit Bulls and Boerbulls (Cat. 1) in Public Housing and has additional restrictions as muzzling in public and ownership limitations. Owners of Pit Bulls and Boerbulls must register and neuter them. The penalty for not doing so is a maximum of six months in prison and a 100.000 franc fine. Restrictions against 'guard and protective dogs' (Cat. 2): Tosa Inu, American Staffordshire Terrier, fila brasileiro, Bullterrier, mastiffs (all breeds), German Sheppard, Dobermann and Rottweiler. All dogs with a similar morphology as the above mentioned without pedigree are also restricted (registration and neutering)! Britain has outlawed the breeding, importing and selling of American Pit Bull Terriers and has heavy breed restrictions. Germany has banned Pit Bulls and Tosa Inu. Pit Bulls are declared vicious in Poland. Pit Bulls are on the list specifically named dangerous in Belgium. Romania bans pit bulls and Rottweilers. Sweden has banned Wolf dogs. Italy has passed Restrictions or bans on 92 breeds, including pit bulls.

With regard to breed specific legislation, it is very difficult to find out the situation in many countries around the world and to keep the information updated. The following is a summary of the current situation in many of the
key areas.

Austria - At present there is no general breed specific legislation for the whole country and one province, Upper Austria, has rejected a proposal to include it. However, the state of Tirol has announced plans to introduce breed specific legislation to include some restrictions on owning particular breeds.

Belgium - Breed lists were initially introduced to restrict 15 breeds of fighting¹ dogs , including the American Pit Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, Fila Braziliero, Mastiff, Tosa Inu, Ban Dog, Akita, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dogo Argentino, Dogue de Bordeaux, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the Rottweiler. These laws have been abandoned as unworkable.

Denmark - The Pit Bull Terrier and Japanese Tosa are banned from breeding. Other breeds continue to be Œunder consideration¹.

France - Several breeds are heavily restricted unless registered at the local town hall with substantial licence fees including the Pit Bull Terrier. Several other breeds are on a specially controlled list, including the American Staffordshire Terrier, Rottweiler and Japanese Tosa.

Germany - Current national law bans the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Some individual state laws also include a ban on dogs over a certain height. The law is being reviewed following court hearings and Bull Terrier owners owners had their day in Court on November 5th to challenge the inclusion of their breed. At the time of going to press we were unaware of the outcome, but if successful it is hoped that other owners will be able to also have the inclusion of their breed revoked by the courts.

Holland - has banned the American Staffordshire Terrier, Fila Brasiliero, Dogo Argentino and Neapolitan Mastiff. The Rottweiler is also being considered.

Ireland - Leash and muzzle laws apply to the American Pit Bull Terrier, Bulldog, Bull Mastiff, Dobermann Pinscher, Bull Terrier, German Shepherd (Alsatian), Japanese Akita, Japanese Tosa, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler and Staffordshire Bull Terrier and crosses of these breeds.

Italy - has just introduced tough new laws targeting 'potentially aggressive' breeds, but has steered clear of out and out breed specific bans. However, the new laws are flawed, branding breeds such as Border Collies and Corgis as 'dangerous'.

Luxembourg - Trying to introduce laws similar to those in France but has not yet excluded the Staffordshire Bull Terrier from the list

Norway - Trying to introduce laws similar to those in Germany which includes banning the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Poland - The regulation requires the owner to obtain permits, provide reinforced fencing, and Œbeware of dog¹ signs in order to keep their American Pit Bull Terrier, Perro de Presa Mallorquin, American Bulldog, Dogo Argentino, Canary Dog, Japanese Tosa, Rottweiler, Akbash Dog and Anatolian Karabash.

Portugal -has banned seven breeds - the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Rottweiler, American Staffordshire Terrier, Fila Brasiliero, Dogo Argentino, Tosa Inu and Pit Bull.

Spain - Staffordshire Bull Terrier owners are working with the Spanish Kennel Club and Veterinary authorities, to mount a legal challenge to the Royal decree restricting several breeds,including the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They urgently need funds.

Switzerland - No countrywide law but several cantons (states) have begun to introduce their own breed specific laws based around the German legislation.

United Kingdom - A total of four Œbreeds¹ are currently banned or at least severely restricted to the point where they cannot be bred, sold, imported, etc. The four breeds are; the Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasiliero, Japanese Tosa and Œthe type of dog known as the Pit Bull Terrier¹. The Home Secretary has the right to add any other breed at any time if he believes it is a threat to the public.

Australia - Several states are currently planning to introduce laws restricting the keeping of various breeds but full details are not yet available.

New Zealand - A recent spate of dog attack reports in the media has led to a public outcry for breed specific legislation to be introduced to ban any dog with bull or pit in the name¹. Several newspaper journalists and TV pundits are actively campaigning for dogs to be killed and tough new dog control laws are in the process of being introduced.
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:06 PM
banned user

United States +

United States - Several Cities and States have introduced breed bans

Alabama
Pit bulls are banned Irondale
Pit Bull Restrictions in Midfield - Must be muzzled and restrained when off owners property.

Arizona
Luke Airforce Base - Pit Bull restrictions.

Arkansas
Pit Bulls are banned in Caraway (also Dobes and Rotts), Maumell (code), Jonesboro (also German Shepard's) Sherwood and Mt. Home (Ord. 530) and Fordyce.

Restrictions on pit bulls in Siloam Springs (see codes - Chapter 10 Article III)

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Gosnell, North Little Rock and Piggot.

California
The state of California has a comprehensive Dangerous Dog Law and legislation prohibiting breed specific restrictions.

Restrictions on pit bulls in Santa Monica and Naval Base Ventura Count:Point Mugu/Hueneme

Colorado - State Law HB1279 Prohibiting BSL!
HB1279 was signed into law on 4/21/04! Denver has vowed to fight the State on this new law. Until there is a decision on this challenge, Denver has repealed their ban on Pit Bulls. PLEASE keep in mind, this could change at any time!

Pit Bulls are restricted in Commerce City, they must be kept behind a fence of a specific height.

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Wellington.

Note: Broomfield votes against BSL in favor of Non-Breed Specific Law!

Connecticut
Pit Bulls are banned in Wethersfield

Delaware
Heavy Restrictions in Wilmington (Municipal Code 3.16).

Florida
The state of Florida has a comprehensive Dangerous Dog Law and legislation prohibiting breed specific restrictions. Section 767.14

Pit Bulls are banned in North Miami/Dade County - Both pure and mixed breed Pit Bull dogs are classified as dangerous. It has been illegal to acquire a new Pit Bull dog since January 1, 1990. Failure to register, muzzle, confine, and insure a Pit Bull is a violation of the law subject to severe penalty. Section 5-17.1, Miami-Dade Code.

Restrictions in Cape Coral, Sunrise, and Tamarac

Georgia
Pit Bulls are banned in Dekalb County, no new pit bulls will be registered after May 2000. Owners with registered pit bulls/mixes will be grand-fathered. Owners who can't prove ownership of their pit bull/mix prior to May 2000 will be fined and their dog seized and destroyed. This is unconfirmed, from email reports only - if anyone can help verify, please send documentation.
Restrictions on Pit Bulls in Lawrenceville

Hawai
Marine Corp. Base - Restrictions on Pit Bulls

Idaho
BSL reported but unconfirmed in Kellog and Payette

Indiana
Pit Bulls are banned in Fowler.
Restrictions on Pit Bulls in Gary (Definitions)South Bend (Chapter 5, Article 4.5) on American Pit Bull Terriers (see definitions) does not apply to Am Staffs or Staffy Bulls. Mishawaka (code) and Walkerton

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Gary, Williamsport and Winchester

Ilinois - 8/19/03 HB184 signed into law.
Pit Bulls are banned: Addison, Greenville, Gillespie, Lombard (click for code), Northlake (also Rottweilers/Rott Mixes) Westfield (also Dobermans), Wheeling (code) and Wilsonville. Banned in Cicero (per Article II sec 18-47). Effingham (code)

Restrictions: Mullberry Grove ( Pit Bull owners must carry $100,000 insurance per dog), Buffalo Grove, Bourbonnais, Hoffmann Estates and Streater and Salem (per chapter 5, article II, Div. 2).

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Central City, Chester, Dixon, Elmwood, Johnson City, Oden, Peru, Rock Falls, Sadorous and Silvis

ALERT: Alderman Rugai has proposed a ban on Pit Bulls in Chicago. Proposed Legislation

Iowa
Pit Bulls are banned in: Anamosa (code) Benton County, Clutier, Lake Mills (plus Rottweilers & mixes), Lockridge (plus Rottweilers), Muscataine (no new pit bulls), Ottumwa (ACF has filed a lawsuit challenging this ban), Sigourney, Wapello (banned American Staffordshire terriers, Staffordshire Bull terriers, BUT its ok to own an American Pit Bull Terrier) Conrad, banned Rottweilers.
Restrictions: Des Moines: Pit Bulls are defined as vicious dogs and have special license requirements per Section 18-44(e) of the municipal code. has banned Pit Bulls

BSL Reported but unconfirmed: Pocahontas, Rockwell, Wilton and Winterset.

Council Bluffs looking at banning pit bulls.

Kansas - BSL Alert
Pit Bulls are banned in Arkansas City, Arlington, Bonner Springs, Cheney, El Dorado, Ellinwood, Fredonia, Fort Scott, Garden City, Garnet, Inman (plus rottweilers), Kansas City, Kingman, Liberal, Leawood, Marion, Maize, Marysville, Nickerson, Parks, Park City, Pittsburg (click here), Preston, Salina, Shawnee (click here), Stafford, St. John (plus Rotties), Sterling, Topeka (click here), Ulysses (also banned Akitas) and Westwood. Pit Bulls are banned from all municipalities in the following counties: Cherokee County, Jackson County, Shawnee County (Code), Wyandotte County. Also banned in most of Johnson County (except Olathe, Mission, Lenexa, Merriam).

Heavy requirements in Iola (click here) and Junction City (code). Pit Bulls are considered dangerous dogs in Manhattan (click here) and Overland Park (click Here) and have special requirements. Pit Bulls are restricted in Minneapolis.

Dodge City is looking at passing a ban on pit bulls.

Mission has repealed their breed ban in favor of a vicious dog law that is not breed specific!

Wichita - has voted against BSL in favor of Non Breed Specific dangerous dog law! This was due to the emails and phone calls recevied from dog owners opposed to the BSL!

Kentucky
Heavy Restrictions in Covington (code), Pit Bulls and Wolf Hybrids delcared Vicious. Heavy Restrictions [Registered with 2 photos, Microchipped, spayed/nuetered, muzzled, etc

Louisiana
Pit Bulls banned in Welsh a new town law approved Tuesday, April 16th 2002, gives owners of pit bull dogs 90 days to remove the dogs from the town's limits. Mayor Jimmy Cormier said pit pull dog owners have until Aug. 1 to find a place for their dogs. The measure provides for a maximum penalty of $500 and 60 days in jail , or both, for violators.

Morgan City has restricted Pit Bulls and Rottweilers (Chapter 18, Article II, Sec. 18-64).

BSL reported but unconfirmed in St. Parish and Luling

Maryland
Pit Bulls are banned in Prince George County (Cities: Accokeek, Adelphia, Aquasco, Beltsville, Berwyn Heights, Bladensburg, Bowie, Brentwood, Calverton, Camp Springs, Capital Heights, Cheverly,Clinton, Colmar Manor, Cottage City, District Heights, Eagle Harbor, Edmonston, Fairmount Height, Forest Heights, Forestville, Glenarden, Glenn Dale, Hyattsville, Indian Head, Landrover, Landover Hills, Langley Park, Lanham, Largo, Laurel, Mitchellville, Morningside, Mount Rainer, New Carrollton, North Brentwood, Riverdale Park, Seat Pleasant, Sprindale, University Park, Upper Marlboro, Woodmore)

Naval District - Dogs (no pit breeds)

*Hagerstown is proposing a BAN (click here for article)

Alert - Possible BSL at the State Level. Delegate Charles Boutin has written a bill that he intends to pursue during the upcoming legislative session. This bill would label Pit Bulls as vicous and require a muzzle while in public. For details and a list of the email addresses for the Maryland State Legislators please visit this website

MassachusettsBreed restrictions reported in Amesbury, Rockport, and but are unconfirmed. New Bedford and Holyoke require a permit ($50.00) to own. Fall River requires insurance. Haverhill has breed restrictions for Pit Bulls. Lundenberg has reported BSL on large breeds. Medway has restrictions on pit bulls. Possible BSL in Winthrop, no confirmation.

Boston passed a law restricting Pit Bull ownership. Dogs must be muzzled in public, owner has to have a yellow sign on home indicating a pit bull lives there and only allowed 2 in a home.

The state of MA is looking at passing a non breed specific dangerous dog law (click here)

Michigan
Pit Bulls banned in Alma (code), Crystal Falls, Grosse Pointe Woods (code), Hudsonville, Waterford and Redford
Restrictions in Detroit (click here), Ramsey, Westland (code detail) and Dearborn Heights, Muskegon (click here)

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Muskegon Heights

Pontiac - **Ban has been repealed! in favor of a Dangerous Dog Law (click here for article).

Minnesota
Section 347.51, Subd. 8. Local ordinances. A statutory or home rule charter city, or a county, may not adopt an ordinance regulating dangerous or potentially dangerous dogs based solely on the specific breed of the dog. Ordinances inconsistent with this subdivision are void.

Mississippi
BSL reported but unconfirmed in Greenville.

Missouri
Pit Bulls banned in Ashland, Booneville, Camdenton, Carl Junction (plus Rottweilers), Drexel, Ferguson (codes), Greenwood, Liberty, New Franklin and Pagedale. In Salisbury, no new pit bulls allowed, existing pit bulls must be registered with city.

Restrictions in Butler (code), Clayton (details), University City (Section 6.08.110) In Hallsville and Wentzville. Persons owning Pit bulls must have reinforced windows and doors, $50,000 of liability insurance on home owners policy, if outside, dogs must be kept in a kennel with a top and concrete floor and walked on a leash longer than 4' and muzzled at all times. Pit bulls must be registered with the city for $35.00 each. Hazzlewood Pit Bulls are defined as Dangerous Animals and have restrictions (code)

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Cameron, Fenton, Grandby, Greenwood, Macon, Springfield and Wooden Terrace.

Belton - has repealed their ban!

Black Jack - has repealed their ban!

Kansas City - has voted against BSL in favor of Non Breed Specific dangerous dog law! This was due to the emails and phone calls received from dog owners opposed to the BSL!

Montana
BSL reported but unconfirmed in Libby and Ekalaka

Nebraska - Alert
BSL reported but unconfirmed in Friend

New Jersey
Restrictions on pit bulls in Millville (code) Englewood and Bergan County.

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Atlantic City, Highland Park and West New York.

The NJ "vicious dog law" is found at N.J.S.A. 4:19-17 et seq., it defines vicious and aggressive dogs, includes ample due process before a dog may be adjudicated vicious or aggressive, allows for the settlement of pending cases, and specifically supercedes any local laws. See specifically, N.J.S.A. 4:19-36: "Act to supersede inconsistent local laws. The provisions of this act shall supersede any law, ordinance, or regulation concerning vicious or potentially dangerous dogs, any specific breed of dog, or any other type of dog inconsistent with this act enacted by any municipality, county, or county or local board of health."

NEW JERSEY STATE LEGISLATURE (Bill NJ-S2381) Please take a moment to read the proposed bill and pass this information along to those people and organizations whom you feel may be interested in this information. This bill is almost identical to Bill NJ-2906 which was defeated - It will severely restrict Pit Bulls and Rottweilers.

New Mexico - May be looking at State Level BSL on Pit Bulls
Pit Bulls are banned in the village of Tijeras.
Kirtland Air Force Base - Pit Bulls, American Staffordshire Bull Terriers, English Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Rottweilers (full or mixed breed), wolf hybrids, or any canine breed with dominant traits geared towards aggression are not permitted in MFH.

New York - ALERT
Pit Bulls banned in Larchmont.

Restrictions in Yonkers requires proof of insurance coverage of $100,000 in order to obtain a license for a pit bull or pit bull mix.

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Jamestown, Maybrook, Mount Vernon, North Hempstead, New Rochelle, Newburgh, Sand Point, Village of Hempstead and Villiage of Haverstraw.

New York is now the 12th state to prohibit passage of breed-specific legislation; dogs are judged on the deeds, not breeds.

ALERT: Kingston NY, is considering a law regulating Pit Bulls. The meeting will be Tuesday, January 27 at 7:30pm.

ALERT: Assemblymen are trying to pass a Statewide bill that would require ALL owners, rescues, etc to carry liability. This bill also allows for local municipalities to pass BSL.

North Carolina

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Transylvania County

North Dakota

Pit Bulls banned in, Minot. Velva has banned Rottweilers

BSL Reported but unconfirmed in Kildear and Bismark.

Ohio
Statewide "vicious dog" law which includes "Pit Bulls." Statewide requirement of $100,000 liability insurance coverage per dog ($50,000 in Cleveland and some other cities), and have 6-foot, padlocked fences or kennel with enclosed top.

Pit Bulls banned in Bexley, Cincinnati, Defiance code, Fairfield code, Gold Manor, Mansfield (code), Mayfield code, Mentor on the Lake code, Reynoldsburg (city ord. #505.35) and Silver Lake (code).

Additional restrictions in Akron, Bay Village (code), Bellvue (code), Celina (code), Cleveland, East Cleveland, Findlay (code), Highland Heights (code), Louisville (code), Middlefield (code), Mt. Vernon (code), Napolean (code), New Albany (code), Oxford (code), Perrysburg (code), Powel (code), Richmond Heights, Springboro, St. Mary's, Tiffin (one pit bull per household), Toledo, Wickliffe (code), Wooster (code) and Yellow Springs (code).

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Cambridge, Franklin County, Girard, Heath, Lucas County, Ludlow Falls, Miami County, Newark, North Perry, Parma, S. Euclid, Shaker Heights, Silverlake, South Point, Warrensville Heights and Washington Court House.

Oklahoma
The State of Oklahoma has a law prohibiting BSL (details)
Pit Bulls banned in Del City and Midwest City (suburb of Oklahoma City).

BSL Reported but unconfirmed in Eufaula and Quenton

Pennsylvania
The state of Pennsylvania has a law prohibiting BSL. However, Philadelphia is currently trying to get it overturned in the city for their own "special" situation - be sure to stay on the look out.

Reading has removed Pit Bulls from the list of vicious dogs!

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Elizabeth

Puerto Rico
The US Territory of Puerto Rico has a ban on Pit Bull ownership

Rhode Island *new*
Pawtucket bans new pit bulls effective January 1, 2004. Current owners need to register there pit bulls. Providence requires a $20 license fee, registration forms, and proof of 25,000 insurance. East Greenwich also has a mandatory insurance requirement for Pit Bulls. Bristol requires insurance on Pits, Am. Staffs & Bull Terriers.

Newport has banned Rotties, Chows and Dobermans

South Carolina
Travelers Rest has banned Rotties, Chows and Dobermans
BSL reported but unconfirmed in Columbia.

South Dakota
Sisseton has banned Dobermans

Tennesse
Lynville it's Illegal to own, keep, train or possess a Rottie, pit bull, chow, doberman or GSD.
BSL reported but unconfirmed in Jackson, Smyrma and Waterton

Texas
The state of Texas has a law prohibiting BSL. Section 822.047
Pit Bulls banned in Neisville, existing pit bulls have been restricted in the city.

Pit Bulls banned at Fort Bliss, restrictions on existing pit bulls (unconfirmed).

Kyle has an ordinance on new pit bull ownership

BSL reported but unconfirmed in Terrel

Utah
Rotties and Shar-Pei's are banned in N. South Lake City and Smithfield.

Pit Bulls banned in South Jordan, existing pit bulls have been restricted in the city (Section 6.12.100 of code).

Vermont
Ban on pit bulls in the TOWN of Albans (not the city) reported but not confirmed

Virginia
Prohibits passage of breed-specific legislation; dogs are judged on the deeds, not their breeds.

Washington
Pit Bulls banned in Algona, (click for ordinance), Enumclaw (code), Issaquah Highland Subdivision (click here).
Restrictions in Buckly, Everett (code details), Inland, Kennewick (code) ($250 license fee for dangerous dog permit and $50,000 bond and other requirements -see chapter 8), Kirkland (code), Moxee, Oak Harbor (click for Oak Harbor municipal code), Prosser, Quincy, Sea tac (code), Sunnyside, Toppenosh, Yakima (click for codes).

BSL reported but uncomfirmed in Neah Bay, King County

BSL Alert - Auburn is considering a ban on Pit Bulls

Wisconsin
Pit Bulls and are banned in Fox Lake, Randolph, South Milwaukee and East Troy. Neisville has banned all new pit bulls and restricted existing pit bulls.
BSL reported but unconfirmed in Oconto and Baldwin.

-----------------------------------------

Bermuda
BSL has been reported in Bermuda, ALL large breeds are banned.

-----------------------------------------
South America
Brazil has placed Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers on the list of dogs declared vicious.
There is new proposed legislation in Chile and Honduras

------------------------------------------
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:07 PM
banned user

Canada

Canada (Updated August 31, 2004)

Canada
British Columbia: Vancouver and Coquitlam have declared Pit bulls as dangerous and vicious and have special requirements. Alberta: Brooks has restricted all pit types and some cross breeds are banned, Edmonton has declared pit bulls as dangerous and vicious requiring liability insurance. Manitoba: Winnipeg, Macdonald have banned Pit Bulls. Ontario: Kitchener and Waterloo banned pit bulls, Lakeshore has prohibited pit bulls from city limits and Midland requires pit bulls, Mastiffs and Rottweilers to be muzzled at all times; the City of Vaughn considers APBTs as vicious as well as Am Staffs and Staffy Bulls unless registered with AKC or CKC. Windsor (code). Quebec: pit bulls are banned in Chapais, Chibougamau, Saint-Jean-sur-Richilieu, Lachine, Kirkland, Outremont, Ville St-Laurent, Saint Genevieve, Sherbrooke (bans new pit bulls). Nova Scotia: banned pit bulls in Clark's Harbor. Prince Edward Island: Montague has banned pit bulls and Rottweilers. Saskatchewan: Clavet has banned pit bulls.

British Columbia Vancouver
Vicious Dog bylaw defines a vicious dog as any with a known propensity to attack a person or animal or that has attacked without provocation. Pit bulls are automatically considered vicious.

Coquitlam
Animal Control bylaw designates pit bulls and bull terriers as vicious.

Surrey
Dog Responsibility bylaw (passed May 1, 2000), defines dangerous dogs as those that have pursued, bitten, attacked or injured without provocation. Any dog running at large is considered potentially dangerous. Owners pay higher licence fees and fines, and must purchase liability insurance.

Nanaimo, Maple Ridge
Have vicious dog bylaws that are not breed-specific.

Alberta Edmonton
Community has enacted a Vicious Dog bylaw and restriction on pit bulls. Licence fees and fines for these dogs are higher, and owners must take out liability insurance.

Calgary
Dangerous Dog bylaw means owners with dogs designated dangerous pay higher licence fees and higher fines.

Brooks, St. Paul, Wainwright, Chestermere, Stony Plain, County of Newell, Sexsmith
Municipalities have dangerous dog bylaws.

Saskatchewan Province-wide
Saskatchewan has enacted Canada's only province wide Dangerous Dog legislation. Sentencing is costliest there, with a $10,000 fine and/or six months' imprisonment for any of the following:
A dog that has attacked, bitten, injured or killed without provocation
Owner not respecting court orders for keeping a dangerous dog
Dog owned for the purpose of fighting or encouraging a dog to make unprovoked attacks on people or domestic animals

Manitoba Winnipeg
Banned pit bulls in 1990.

Macdonald
Banned pit bulls.

Thompson
Has a Dangerous Dog bylaw.

Ontario Kitchener and Waterloo
Both communities have Dangerous Dog bylaws and have banned pit bulls. To ban a type of dog, they needed to have a private member's bill passed in Ontario legislature. Ban does not include bull terrier or English bull terrier.

Lakeshore
Dangerous Dog bylaw prohibits the ownership of "any dog of the Presa Canario, Pit Bull, Staffordshire, Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull, or American Staffordshire Terrier" or any hybrid or similar crossbreed.

Vaughan, Midland, Laurentian Valley Township, Grimsby, Pelham, Bonnechere Valley Township, Killaloe, Hogarty and Richards, Cambridge, Ingersoll, Mariposa, Mississauga
Have a Vicious or Dangerous Dog bylaw or references to vicious dogs in existing bylaws.

Town of Georgina (which governs Newmarket, East Gwillimbury and Stouffville)
Enacted a Vicious Dog bylaw after Courtney Trempe's death. In addition to muzzle, leash and pen regulations, the bylaw outlines that no one under the age of 16 may walk a dog deemed vicious. Dog must be microchipped.

Quebec Sherbrooke, Saint-Jean-sur-Richilieu, Lachine, Kirkland, Outremont, Saint Genevieve
These communities have banned pit bulls. In addition, Sherbrooke has controls on Rottweilers and Mastiffs.

New Brunswick No breed-specific bans in the province. The first reading of a province-wide bill, the "Restricted Dogs Act" took place May 28, 2004.

Nova Scotia Clark's Harbour
Banned pit bulls (as of May 1998), even though there are no pit bulls in the community. Based their bylaw on similar pit bulls bans in other Nova Scotia communities.

Halifax
City council introduced a bylaw pertaining to fierce or dangerous dogs but did not ban any specific breeds.

Guysborough
Banned pit bulls and rottweilers.

Cape Breton, Digby, Annapolis County, King's County
Have fierce and dangerous dog bylaws.

Prince Edward Island Province-wide
Province is considering changes to the Dog Act that would address vicious dogs and dog control.

Newfoundland No dangerous or vicious dog bylaws or bans, though the "Dog Act" has provisions for destroying a dog that is found to be dangerous.

Northwest Territories Numerous communities have dog control bylaws. Generally, dogs at large are picked up and destroyed if there's no ownership and after being quarantined for the rabies program.

Yellowknife
In the Dog Bylaw a dog is "vicious or a public nuisance if it has made an unprovoked attack upon any person or domesticated animal in the course of which such person or animal is bitten or injured or where such person suffers damage to his or her clothing or personal property."

Nunavut Territory's Dog Act pertains to dog control. Iqaluit's "Domestic Animal Control" bylaw includes references to vicious dogs.

Yukon No dangerous dog laws at the territorial level.
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:15 PM
banned user

Stewart I forgot to mention.... I'm Italian
Old November 16th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy
Stewart I forgot to mention.... I'm Italian
I guessed
Old December 9th, 2004, 07:54 PM
owned by Tucker

You look at such a wide variety of banned or restricted dogs and does anyone wonder that maybe it is the owner of the dogs that are the problem not the breed. I guess its easy to sit behind a desk and make rules. St. Bernards, Newfoundlanders, and my poor Tucker (border collie) thank god I don't live in Italy, and yes it could happen here, first pit bulls next who knows, I have a nasty cat would they like to ban her too.
Old December 10th, 2004, 01:52 PM

I'm pleased to write that Finland (where I'm originally from) hasn't banned or restricted any breeds.