Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 4th, 2010, 07:18 AM

I am thinking of switching to Origen or Acana.

I can't afford to buy canned cat food, is the dry Origen/Acana still a good food?

When people say that they are using both dry and canned cat food how much of each are you giving?

Thanks!
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:03 PM

I switched from Nutro Ultra to Origen about 5 or 6 months ago
the reason being I eat wild game I figure my dog should eat wild game.
and the bottem line is no matter how hard one chooses to shop and choose a healthy lifestyle you can't get any more organic than eating wild.
That goes for fruit and veggies as well.
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:03 AM

We bought the largest bag once for my pit bull and Shepard/black lab mix... it did amazing things for my pitbull but made my black lab gain a bunch of weight she can't handle (bad hind legs, she was hit by a car last year which shattered her right hind leg and hip)
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:08 PM

My dogs (a 3 year old lab and a 6 year old lab mix) have been on Orijen for about a month now. I've been very happy with it so far. We just finished up a bag of Regional Red and are trying Six Fish. They run or hike with me daily and the lab does agility, so they are pretty active dogs. They are both eating about 2 cups a day total, split into two meals.

Initially their poops did smell a lot worse, but that has gotten better. Consistency was initially a little soft, but nothing abnormal, and it is firm now. With my lab mix I have actually noticed less gas from her now that she is eating a grain-free kibble. They were on California Natural Lamb & Rice before. The lab has food allergies to the big four (wheat, corn, soy, and chicken) but hasn't had any issues with the Orijen flavors above.
Old July 10th, 2010, 07:23 AM

orijen problems

i used to feed my dog orijen until i found out about all the problem they have. First of all it is too many calories and will make a lot of dogs be fat, have soft stool or have gaz. Not all, but a if you do the ratio, more dogs have problems going on it than any other holistic dog food. My holistic vet told me. He deals with all these brands.

You have to watch out for large breed dogs, especially in pups. Too much protien. I know what everyone is going to say, but it is true. These companies all pride themselves of as being as close to feeding RAW food (which is the best by the way). Not even RAW diet has that much protien or fat. Check it out for yourself. Only working or highly active dogs should be on it.

Regional red uses PORK in its diet and sell for so expensive for about the same money by EVO RED MEAT much better ingredients. Or for less money and a bit less protien 32% use Taste of the Wild Bison.

Orijen is a 4 year old brand and they have been playing with the ingredients even with ACANA. They have changed the ingredients 3 time up to now without telling anyone. Also how about the whole Australia thing, they never gave a clear answer of what happend. I mean they tried to excuse themselves, but I question their excuse. Don't other brands go their going through the same process, I didn't hear thier brands killing animals. Also check out what they replied to this store owner who found bones that looked like magets in the food. http://www.dogforums.com/5-dog-food-...ease-read.html

or how about the problems they are constantly having http://itchmoforums.com/your-problem...o-t9873.0.html

My problem with them is that they are unreliable and the never apologize for their mistakes, just make excuses.

I just heard that they got sold to a big company now and might change the ingredients again. Not sure yet, but just heads up.