Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM

Serious Cat health problem - need advice

Hello. I am new to this Forum. I will be going to the vet first thing in the morning. But I would feel better being prepared, a little, for what the vet might say. So, I'm hoping you have some ideas to help me speak to the vet confidently. Sorry this is such a long story. If I broke any rules regarding length.

Here is my question, and my cat's problem. I have been working with a vet to treat Jessie's diabetes. We tried a special diet, and when that didn't work, we tried insulin injections. She was doing very well - not drinking and peeing as much, she was perkier and more her old self. That was a little over a week ago. Then she started losing her appetite. So,with the help of my vet, we cut back on her insulin dose, and I gave her some B12, to help stimulate her appetite. This worked a little, for a day or so, then she stopped eating again.

Yesterday, when I got home from work and saw that she hadn't eaten, I called the vet. While I was waiting for a call back, I noticed that she had a little poop oozing from her butt. I looked closer, and it seemed like there was something blocking the opening. It was almost coming out, but it looked wierd, so I got scared and put Jessie back on her feet. I brought her to the vet shortly after that, and he thought she had impacted feces. He tried cleaning her out and gave me an enema to give her when we go home. I wasn't too successful administering that, but I was hoping that since the blockage was gone, she might eat. She ate this morning, and she seemed a little less swollen and sore, so I went to work, confident that she'd feel even better when I got home.

No such luck. She hadn't eaten at all. I let her sit outside on the deck for a little while to see if it helped her appetite. Finally, late this evening, I looked at her butt again and I'm sure that whatever it was, is back. It does not look like a foreign object, like a cat toy or something she ate. I looks like it's possible that there is a hair ball involved, however, whatever it is, it is hard. It is not poop.

I am afraid that part of her body, one of her internal organs, has fallen and is coming out her butt! That's what it looks like to me. What could this possibly be? Can a part of the body get to that spot? Could it be her stomach? She's spayed, so it's probably not her uterus. Does anyone have any ideas?

Please help if you can.
Thank you.
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, I can't imagine what it might be. Didn't your vet tell you anything during your last visit? Don't forget to ask lots of questions; maybe this is a chronic problem, such as constipation, which will have to be managed so it doesn't get to the point where your cat needs an enema. I hope so.
Good luck, try not to worry.

Last edited by badger; February 6th, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:19 PM

please take time to go to the general discussion part of our forum and look under a post called what is wrong with my cat snoopy. On page 2 sugarcat gives a lot of really good advice, and links for diabetic cats. I am not going to recommend any treatment for the constipation, as my first concern is that you said there still looks to be something coming out from behind her. I would be asking first about an xray, that would give you a good idea of what is inside, and what is going on, and then act from there.
Even in a scenario with something such as megacolon, and other bowel issues that sound similar to yours, they are treatable. You said he cleaned her out, I was curious how he did that as you also said he gave you an enema to give her. If the enema was not successful, and he didnt really fully clean her out, she may still have some very hard inpacted feces there as well. I have mixed feelings about enemas, some can be rather hard on a cat depending on their current state of health , but i will let others comment about that.
There are many natural safe alternatives to give a cat that is constipated, one is pumpkin. As well many things that help their tummies that can be given even though she is diabetic.
Another thought that crosses my mind is change of diet, and how quickly that was taken on, that can affect a cats system, especially one with diabetes.

My main concern is that she is not eating, as well as what you have said around her bowels. it is good that you are taking her back there, i would consider an xray.
I am sure that there are a few others that have much more informed answers for you, best of luck with Jesse i hope she feels better soon, please update us
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sorry to hear about your cat. Please keep us updated on her. that the diagnosis is a simple one.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM

No advice here sorry but wanted to send you some and
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What did the vet say, Bedhamster? that your cat is better.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."