Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 30th, 2014, 07:24 AM

Unhappy My 19 year old cat cant poop. HELP!

ok I have a 19 year old cat she will be 20 this year, and she has been two days with out going number two. it looks like it could be an impaction. I took her to the vet today and the guy stuck his finger up her butt and got some poop out. he also gave her some saline 100ml because she hasn't really been drinking water in these last two days. when I got her home from the vet she seemed fine so I went to work. wen I came back 4hrs later still no poop but now I see a little blood coming out of her butt. I can only assume its from the vets finger. also she walks funny and im not sure what to do. she wont eat the pumpkin or anything else I give her. anyone know what maybe going on with my baby?
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:14 AM

Your cat should probably have an enema done at this point? Did the vet take xrays to see how blocked up she was? When my cat ended up badly constipated, he was at the vet for nearly 3 days - on an IV due to dehydration and not eating properly, plus to make sure he fully emptied his bowels from the enemas given.

I'd suggest calling your vet to discuss or seeing a new one. I wouldn't wait though.
Old March 30th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree your cat probably needs an enema. I wonder why your Vet did not do that? I wonder if you should see a different Vet. We went through this a couple of times with our 17 year old, long haired cat. Even though we brushed her as much as we could she ended up needing an enema twice.

DO NOT give your cat any kind of laxative till you have resolved what the issue is. That includes pumpkin. Giving your poor cat a laxative will only soften matter that is backed up behind a possible impaction and your cat will be in agony. Good luck. I really think you need another (different?) Vet visit.
Old March 30th, 2014, 11:37 PM

Yes well we have an apt for tomorrow with a diff vet, but she started drinking and eating water again. I think the poop that he got out helped. I haven't got an xray yet. I'm hoping this dim all clear up by tomorrow. My poor baby has been through enough.
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:26 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Good luck with this!

If constipation becomes a regular problem you may want to try a teaspoon of prune baby food with kitty's regular food. Our cat twiggy is regularly constipated and the prune (at least 1-2 times a day in our case) helps big time.

But as LB suggests - For right now, cat likely needs an enema...so great idea that you are seeing a second vet.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 4th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Willing cat servant

Lactulose is a gentle laxative that can be added to food as well. When the dinosaur was a kitten she used to get constipated and she had from 1 to 2 ml a day. It has no color and looks like a syrup it also has a sweet flavor but she didn't seem to mind.
The best to your awesome cat.