Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:11 AM

Don't know how many know this

Registering your rabies tags.

So I just got my cats their vaccines for this year which reminded me to take advantage of getmehome.ca

For those who are unfamiliar with it, it is a site where you can register your pets rabies tag number and other info for if they were to ever get lost and you can include a photo of your pet, it's free. Also most vet computer systems are not very reliable when it comes to looking up a rabies tag number as I have found out on many occasions with pets I have found and when people have called with a pet they have found. If you miss even one zero(as some start with 0000) or someone puts a - in the wrong place it is almost impossible to find who the pet belongs to.
Now being that I am paranoid I took advantage of the site and I also have my cats microchipped and will be getting new id tags made with updated info(they don't even go outside but....).

I know how much we all love our furbabies so I figure why not take advantage of as many ways as possible to get them home. On the back of the rabies tag it has the website, lets just hope someone would notice it if god forbid they wandered off....and that their collars don't fall off.

Just wanted to share and with it being spring and everyone getting spring fever.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Thx for the info Dusty - every bit of info helps!!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:04 PM

I never knew we had to register. Duh, eh?

http://www.getmehome.ca/

Thanks, dustybird!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:15 PM

You don't have to... but most clincs rabies tag tracking systems suck. The getmehome has only been going on for a few years, after I registered my cats I logged out and searched their tag numbers, sure enough the little buggers info an pics popped up. For the cell number I put my work number(never use the cell) and the alt number I used my mom(just hope my brother never answere's the phone...oh she's not here...my mommy always know's where to find me).
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM

daft question

but do I even have a rabies tag for my cat?

When we got her from the shelter at 8 weeks old they gave us a collar with 2 tags but I thought that had to do with the microchip. When the vet gave her the rabies shot at 16 weeks I was given a certificate but nothing was said about tags.

She is the first pet I have owned since childhood so I am not used to the bureaucracy. Could someone fill me in, please?
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM

I thought they always gave tags when given the rabies vaccine. If you don't have a tag you can get one from the clinic that gave the rabies, but if you have a rabies certificate and don't go to that clinic anymore the new place should give you one. The tag will say rabies on it, the tag for 2007 is a green bell, I don't know what the 2006 tags were. If your cat doesn't wear a collar, I don't know if you need a tag, as long as you know where your certificate is. If they don't wear tags registering the tag won't help. Dogs on the other hand I think are suppose to have them on all the time....don't really know what the rule is on cats, just that they are suppose to have the vaccine.

Not very helpful I know. I have just always had collars and tags on my cats, just in the off chance they ever got outside(breakaway collars of course).
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:41 PM
-

I knew about it but forgot to register. Thanks for the reminder, dustybird.