Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old June 21st, 2011, 05:52 AM
Gettin' Iggy With It

Raw fed dogs

Anyone else feed only raw to their dogs? What do you feed?

Ophelia and Chester have been raw fed since they were weaned. They are completely grain free, with no 'treats' as well. We feed Nature's Variety, as well as supplement with fresh human grade meats, ie whole chicken pieces, beef chunks, beef hearts/liver/kidney, chicken gizzards, and tripe.

I find they are just so much healthier and glossier than a kibble fed dog (IMO), we get so many compliments on coat at shows. Wouldn't dream of switching.

Ophelia (Libelle's Black Orchid - Italian Greyhound)
Chester (Libelle's Atomaestro - Italian Greyhound)

My Past Dogs, Forever in my Heart:

Java (rottweiler rescue, my heart dog)
Titus (rottweiler rescue)
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:50 AM

We've been feeding Loki raw since mid December. We don't use any premade (with the exception of beef offal from Urban Carnivore). We have found sources for chicken quarters, beef and beef trimmings, pork, tongue and heart, as well as some tripe. Loki is still a diva picky eater, but he's doing much better on average with raw
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:24 AM
Doggie Wench

We also do raw and sometimes home-cooking. Our guys are fed a variety of meat/bones/organs...chicken, pork, beef, turkey, rabbit & duck (occasionally as it's pretty pricey here), frozen whole sardines, and, for the cooked meals, cod and salmon with potatoes and veggies.

It's been nearly 4 years now and both have never been physically ill since we made the switch. Besides the lovely coats, they have gorgeous white teeth!
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:02 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

We have been feeding prey model raw here for over 5 years now. I would never dream of switching back to kibble.
I don't bother with pre made raw since it is 7 dogs we are feeding.
They get a wide variety of protien sources that vary depending on the time of year.
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Gettin' Iggy With It

With small dogs, it was easier for us to do premade, plus it increased my boyfriends comfort level with the raw. I agree, the teeth are fantastic!

Ophelia (Libelle's Black Orchid - Italian Greyhound)
Chester (Libelle's Atomaestro - Italian Greyhound)

My Past Dogs, Forever in my Heart:

Java (rottweiler rescue, my heart dog)
Titus (rottweiler rescue)
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I have 2 Corgi's on raw here, size doesn't matter but comfort levels do, and if I only had the corgi's I would maybe consider pre made raw
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:33 PM

well I'm feed up with a store bought premade raw(pets 4 life) My puppy refuses to eat it at all. I was making him food myself(mostly raw) than tried him on the convenient premade food. first couple of days he ate it begrudgingly than decided he wouldn't eat at all. I tried every flavor(protein) they have and no go. he would sniff it shake his head and back up away from his bowl. I tried making gravy and pouring on it I tried yogurt, he'd just like the gravy or yogurt off and walk away. so I gave up

back to making it myself. I buy chicken and turkey necks from my pet store I'm hoping to find cheaper somewhere else but for now at least I can get it in bulk. hey have an awesome raw green tripe. I just found a butcher that I can get beef and organs for $2/lb and they said they would ground me some chicken backs for the same price. they also told me they would ground wild meat I bring in. Hopefully my husband and my hunting and fishing can help with cost.
I got a feeling if I'm going to be doing the work that i will eventually end up feeding the cats raw too.

If anyone knows a good source in Ottawa for bulk and or wants to share a huge bulk meat order let me know. I will be happy to drive a couple of hours to save some money