Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Id call to make sure they have it. Maybe what you could do, take atrip to the store, & write down all the brands they carry. Then we can tell ya whats best. Innova Evo is a great food. Out of my three cats, one wouldnt eat the felidae. but all three love the Evo.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Okay ...I made the trip to the store that sells Innova Evo and I can only get it at 1 location in the city...Not really a huge problem just not quick to get too!

Scott you probably think I am not too bright ! But I think it is just information overload! I walk into the store and there are a million kinds of food....you think you have found something and wow! there is something else not good about it!! Anyway here are some of the brands that they carry
-Innova EVO (another store)
-Orijen
-Timberwolf
-Merrrick
-Go Natural
-Natural Balance
-Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul
-Royal Canine
-Wysong
-Solid Gold
-Prairie ?????
I am sure there are more...I was leaning towards a chicken base only because that is what was in the Hills CD garbage! but with my cats I really have not tried another flavor..

They are 10 years old (brother & sister) and very healthy so far!

Thanks
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,to be totally honest,I would not fret about it so much.
You have 2 healthy beautiful cats,you must have done something right
My 3 are healthy too,except for Rockys Hyperthyroidism and they have eaten all kinds of foods over the years.
You are right,looking at all the foods can be overwhelming
What is most important,is buying something your cats will eat,definet no,no's are Purina,Iams anything bought in a grocerystore.
Otherwise,if you are lucky to find something the cats really like(try to get samples!)stick with it.
My cats can eagerly gulp down,loving something one week,but the next won't touch it,but that's what cats do
It's been suggested here,Chicken-Soup is not THE best,but my cats like it and the ingredients are ok...no corn!! They also like Solid Gold+canned food.
A friend of mine has 5 cats,2 19 yr olds and 3 between 7-15 yrs old,feeds then Miss Meiw(sp?) and other stuffs from Walmart,but I don't even try to convince him to buy something better,his 5 indoor cats are doing great.
Not that I would ever recommend what he's feeding his cats to anyone but what's good for some cats,would not be good for others.
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:52 AM

ohhh, id try the ORIJEN if ya can! Looks great!

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old March 13th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Scott..looking at the ingrediants it shows whole eggs? I guess it is the dried eggs in the previous food you did not like?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Its all in the wording. Whole eggs are just that, whole eggs. So you know they're geting all the nutrition from the whole egg.

Dried Egg Product is something different. Its whatever they get their hands on.

Old March 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Scott you have replied on some of my posts regarding my boy Winston's food change as well...He is eating DVP Duck & Potato..I am giving him the Eaglepack Digestive Enzyme...but wondering if the Orijen Dog Food might work for him as well as the cats? I am due to buy more food for him very soon? I am not completely happy with the food as of yet so what are your thoughts on that?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Orijen looks great. Of your list, these are the best brands, but even with a brand there's variation...
-Innova AND Innova EVO (the regular innova is great too)
-Orijen
-Timberwolf
-Natural Balance (great for allergies, but a little low protein)
-Merrrick (a little grainy)
-Solid Gold (grainy... except for grain free Barking at the Moon)
-Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul (they've gotten better recently)
-Go Natural (grainy)

Canidae is great too...

For kitties, if you want the best out there, it's either Evo, Orijen or Felidae. The rest are lacking somehow, IMO.
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Pretty much summed it up Prin

Old March 19th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well, I decided on Orijen for both the dog & cats! So far all seem to like it! The cats stools are a bit softer than normal but I think they still need more time to adjust! As for Winston I noticed that his appetite has increased! He normally eats 4 cups per day, but this is day 3 and he is asking for more food each time. I have given in and given him an extra 1/2 cup to 1 cup more! His first BM of the day has been good but by the 2nd one! it is runny!

I have been adding the digestive enzyme to the food! Should I continue to do that for him?

Cindy

P.S I guess the Orijen has become popular because the pet store said that it has been flying off the shelves and that they cant keep enough of it in!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Do any of you know how Orijen is processed? Is it extruded or baked? I only ask because their website says their foods include 70% meat and I thought that was not possible with extruded food. The ingredients look great though!
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:22 AM

This is all i coiuld find

"ORIJEN ingredients are low
temperature cooked at 90C for 3 – 5
minutes – substantially lower temperature
and less time than what most people would
cook their dinner."

Old March 19th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Orijen is extruded. The difficulty in extruding high meat has more to do with the quantity of meal that meat, due to the moisture restrictions. IE Timberwolfs food
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Winston, with holistic foods that don't have stool hardeners, the stool can get really soft if you overfeed... Even if he pretends he's hungry, don't overfeed him. He should actually eat less of this food than most of the other foods he's eaten so far.
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM

My experience has been that even when you don't overfeed you sometimes still get runny stools on the no grains food that doesn;t have some fiber like apple or tomato pomace or pumpkin. Usually I find adding the pumpkin works, but if you are using then Eagle Pack Solution it has fiber in the form of inulin, so I am not sure why you would be getting loose stools, except for three reasons:
overfeeding, an intollerance, or not enough fiber. Even though "fiber" in and of itself is not considered neccesary, for some dogs on grain free they do have looser stools, even with reducing.