Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 5th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Halo has a sore back

Poor Halo isn't feeling well since last night (she's my 5 year old lab X). Don't know what she did, but she's moping around with her tail down and yelping when she goes up the stairs and when she tried to roll in the grass at the park. :sad: She's not limping at all, and didn't react when I manipulated her legs. So I think she's pinched a nerve or something in her back. She was restless last night and whining a bit, but better than I thought she'd be. We're going to the vet this afternoon, but I'm leaning towards having her put on something for swelling and pain and limit her activity (doggy jail) for the next week to see if it improves. Definitely vet today though. What do you guys think???
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Geek Club CEO

Defintely vet asap. I'd ask for xrays if you suspect the back is involved. No messing around with that.
Keep us posted.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:41 PM

i agree. emergency vet if regular vet is closed or can't get you in. back problems can progress quickly and the sooner they are treated the better the prognosis. the best way to do initial assessment is x-rays. then go from there...
good luck.
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Well go figure - we took Halo to the vet and he gave her some really good pain pills to make her comfortable (after a thorough examination) and felt that it was most likely muscular in nature. He said he also wanted to run a urine test to rule out kidney problems. If she didn't feel better after five days on the pills and some rest (no running around or stairs) then they'd have to look at other options and tests. I went home and collected a urine sample and took it back to them, then no sooner got home and they called to say that Halo had a massive UTI and required antibiotics. She also has crystals in her urine so they are sending the urine out for a full work up at a different lab and that will take about five days. So it appears this is what was causing her discomfort. I must say that the pills he gave her (Deramaxx) did wonders. Within two hours of taking the first 1/2 pill she was back to her usual happy self. I know the pills just mask her discomfort, but it was so nice to see her wag her tail again! I was surprised because the vet went on to ask me what we are feeding Halo - and I told him it was Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue - a fish and vegetable/fruit based product due to her poultry allergies. He suggested we put her on a raw beef diet. I always thought vets weren't big on raw diets, and was surprised to hear him say this. So now I have to do my homework and research the crystals and figure out what to do about her diet. But it appears we're on the road to recovery! So far it's cost $250, and here's hoping no further tests are needed, but if so then so be it. Oh yeah, he also discovered that she had broken a molar and has to have a tooth pulled so she doesn't get any infection there. But he said that will have to wait until we finish all this up.

Last edited by Dog Dancer; July 6th, 2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:34 PM
-

Wow....it is rare to find a vet that recommends raw. I don't feed raw myself but the "Raw Food" sub-forum here has lots of good information. Also, if you're not "into" feeding raw Orijen makes a fish based grain free kibble. It's called Orijen 6 Fish & Vegetables.

www.championpetfoods.com

I hope Halo's UTI clears up quickly.
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Rainbow, thanks for the reply. Yes I was surprised that he recommended that too. I'll do some research on it - unfortunately she's very allergic to poultry and I know most people use chicken/turkey necks to keep some of the costs down on the meet so that's part of why I've never really looked into it for my two.

I was already waiting for my pet store to bring in the Orijen 6 fish, but they didn't have it yet. So I have printed out the ingredient list and such to show to the vet and ask him what he thinks of that one. Tks again.
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry to hear that Halo's been ailing, DD! Hope she's 100% again soon.

UTIs can be painful...and not just the dogs tell me that ...used to get them a lot as a kid. Poor Halo.

Glad she's got some meds now and is feeling better!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Hi Rainbow, thanks for the reply. Yes I was surprised that he recommended that too. I'll do some research on it - unfortunately she's very allergic to poultry and I know most people use chicken/turkey necks to keep some of the costs down on the meet so that's part of why I've never really looked into it for my two.

I was already waiting for my pet store to bring in the Orijen 6 fish, but they didn't have it yet. So I have printed out the ingredient list and such to show to the vet and ask him what he thinks of that one. Tks again.
you might be okay with the EVO red meat formula
http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1491
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks you guys for the good wishes and info. I have printed off the Evo info to take to the vet as well. Halo is feeling much more like herself these days and taking her meds nicely. Good girl!