Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 24th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Owned by Saints

Fish based kibble

Per vet instructions I need to switch Bubba's food.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on a good fish based kibble? Must be fish only and can't contain corn, wheat or soy due to allergies. I'd prefer no stool hardeners beet pulp and definitely no menadione (synthetic vit K).

I was going to go with Fromm's Salmon a la veg. But it contains menadione. I did email them though asking if they are going to be removing it from their line of foods. I'm hoping they are.. but if they don't I need to find another kibble.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Honest Contributor

Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish
Wellness Fish & Sweet Potatoes
Eagle Pack Anchvoy, Sardine & Salmon Meal

...those are three that come to mind... good luck!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
Eagle Pack Anchvoy, Sardine & Salmon Meal
This is what we feed our rescues. They freak out for it because the smell is quite strong. We have great sucess with it. We have had a few rescues lately with mange, bacterial infections on their skin and other problems with their coats due to poor care % poor nutrition. They all leave us much healthier, and with super shiny, full coats.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:35 AM

My post #2 here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ighlight=bison I posted a few...
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Will be interested in reply from Fromm's. My Eskimo does extremely well on the Salmon A La Veg - has been on it since January 2005 - made a huge difference to his bowel movements and skin. Eskies are very sensitive to corn and somewhat to wheat.
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Owned by Saints

I still haven't recieved a reply from Fromm yet. But I will post it when I get it.

I'm thinking about trying the Eagle Pack Anchvoy, Sardine & Salmon Meal. I'm not too keen on a couple ingredients, but at least there is no menadione in it.

Here's the ingredient list.. in bold are the questionable ingredients. I don't really like that the beet pulp is soo high on the list. But I do like that the first 3 ingredients are fish meals. Lots of fish in this food.

Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meals (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Oatmeal, Ground Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Menhaden Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Air Dried Peas, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dried Carrots, Dried Apples, Inulin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dandelion (Organic), Garlic Powder, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes (sequestered) of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Why do they add salt too? Dog foods (according to a friend of mine who tries them out) are already quite salty- especially with sardines and anchovies...

Did you try the DVP fish and sweet potato one yet? It's not the best but it's simple...
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Performance Spaniels

I avoided the eagle pack listed here because of the serious salt wholop. I went with a different eagle pack holistic, and it cause funny poop, which is how I ended up with the wellness whitefish.
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Honest Contributor

fish, in their natural state, do not contain salt more than any other meats. it's when the fish are cooked & packed that whopping amounts of salt are added to the packing water/ oil/ brine. so if the fish meal is from fresh fish, salt is not a consideration in the overall finished product other than the amount they add to the mix, listed in the ingredients.

Old April 25th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Owned by Saints

I'm working on getting Timberwolf Organics, Ocean Blue. There is a Global pet food store that carries it in Toronto, so I contacted one of the local Global stores to see if they can get it in. They didn't call me back though today, so I'm going to call them back tomorrow. Maybe I can get them to become a supplier?

I don't know if the Eagle pack is fresh fish or not.. I'm email them and see what they say. But yeah if that's canned anchvoys and sardines it's going to be hella salty.

Prin, I really don't like the DVP fish and Potato. There's more potato than fish.. that kinda put me off. But if I can't find anything else that's suitable then I more than likely will give it a try.

Thanks all, I'm off to email Eagle pack..
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Owned by Saints

Found this on Eagle Packs website...

""Anchovy and Sardine Meals used in Eagle Pack formulas are harvested from pure, cold, Antarctic Ocean waters and put on ice. We buy a special premium grade that is cooked at moderate temperatures. Regular meals are cooked to almost burning temperatures, which greatly reduces nutrient values. Our darker fleshed fish are high in Omega 3 fatty acids, so beneficial to coat and skin health. “Whitefish” (not used in Eagle Pack formulas), is a generic name for a number of species of white fish used in some brands. The species will vary bag-to-bag, formula-to-formula. They have minimal Omega 3 fatty acid levels. Most fish meals are preserved with ethoxyquin; our meal is preserved naturally.""

So by the sounds of it they would be fresh/frozen fish. Not canned stuff.... So the salt content shouldn't too high then right?
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
So by the sounds of it they would be fresh/frozen fish. Not canned stuff.... So the salt content shouldn't too high then right?
sounds like it to me. besides, i doubt eagle pack would taint their reputation by producing a superhigh salt-content holistic food that would dehydrate dogs and make them sick... ya know?

Old April 25th, 2006, 09:42 PM

Yeah, but they put corn in more than half their foods and beet pulp, so personally, I refrain from using the "H" word in reference to Eagle Pack. High end Purina sounds better to me. JMO... No offense to those who feed the cornless ones.

Yeah, DVP is potato first, but to a little potato is better then beet pulp and the rest... But for sure, if you can get Timberwolf, do.
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Owned by Saints

Well noone can get Timberwolf Organics, or so they say. If Toronto can get it they should be able to also. Sounds fishy to me. No pun intended. LOL

In anycase I guess I'm going to go with the Natural Balance. Although I don't like the potato's first on their ingredient list.. I'll just add some of their canned food for extra fish a few times a week.

Thanks all. I hope this one works..
Old April 26th, 2006, 05:31 PM
-

Quote:
I'm working on getting Timberwolf Organics, Ocean Blue. There is a Global pet food store that carries it in Toronto, so I contacted one of the local Global stores to see if they can get it in. They didn't call me back though today, so I'm going to call them back tomorrow. Maybe I can get them to become a supplier?
Quote:
Well noone can get Timberwolf Organics, or so they say. If Toronto can get it they should be able to also. Sounds fishy to me. No pun intended. LOL
Try contacting Mark Heyward (mark@timberwolforganics.com) and let him know. He told me that all Global Pet Stores would be carrying Timberwolf products. He's really good at answering emails. Good luck.
Old April 29th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Owned by Saints

Well I went to get the Natural Balance and all the bags they had contained menadione. Olny the new bags dated to expire in 2007 do not contain it. They were not willing to order me a newer bag and I wasn't going to wait for those to sell. So I bought the Eagle Pack fish and oatmeal. I'm mixing it in slowly with his old kibble.. Bubba loves it but my god does it stink. LOL