Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM
The demons' servant

Pawz is making my world explode

So all is good and all is wonderful and then I'd noticed a few days ago that Pawz's poop had some blood in it. It was also very icky. He was acting totally normal though, and wasn't straining or doing much of anything out of the ordinary. The last time I'd totally freaked out and it didn't turn out to being anything all that bad. So I sat on it for 24 hours to see if it was a "one off" thing or what. It wasn't.

Called the vet. Couldn't get in to see the vet until today (I had to work). Please bring a sample. OK I can do that.

Except now...now he's been trying for the last half hour and no success... He did just have a bit of a pee but not the other way.

So At 3:30 I'm taking the poor guy in and hopefully he'll have some sort of success before then.

*sigh*

Megan
Old January 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if pumpkin works for cats too? For dogs, a bit of pumpkin (the canned stuff) works great for any poop issues, might help to get things moving for pawz.

for you, this must be trying.
for Pawz
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)

Last edited by otter; January 13th, 2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: addition
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:57 PM
The demons' servant

Still nothing.

Leaving for the vet in a few minutes.

*sigh* frustrating beasts they are.

He's still eating. He's still drinking. He's still playing. He's still running around. He hasn't been outside really (ok so I dumped him in two feet of snow a few weeks back and he doesn't want to go outside now at all! Which was the point. Still working on Leo.)

The only thing mom and I could come up with is he's eaten some salt or something that was tracked in by the shoes. Or maybe a rock. Or maybe a pine needle.

Bah.

Off I go.

Megan
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

headed your way

Hopefully the vet can tell you something even without a sample
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM
The demons' servant

So he's on metronidozol (??) for five days.

Vet thinks it could be colitis. There was no sample because there's nothing in there apparently. So in a few days he wants a sample so they can test it.

Pawz kind of likes the new carrier but still isn't too happy with it. lol Ah well its a good investment.

So we wait and see....

Megan
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Remembering Lukka

I hope Pawz gets back to normal soon
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
The demons' servant

I can't see it being too too serious at the moment. I mean he's still eating and playing and having all sorts of fun chasing snowflakes and Leo.

The funnest part of my days are now going to be shoving half a pill down Pawz's throat at 6am.

The vet showed us how he pills cats and made it look like it was the easiest thing in the world. Either that or Pawz was on his best behaviour!

Megan
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:01 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbmnec View Post
The vet showed us how he pills cats and made it look like it was the easiest thing in the world. Either that or Pawz was on his best behaviour!

Megan

Yep.....they ALWAYS do that.

How is Pawz today?
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM

for Pawz

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
The demons' servant

Well some bad news

It seems like it was a urinary block all along. The cat had GONE pee just BEFORE I took him to the vet.

Ah well.

So I came home from work to a very sick kitty who layed there and did nothing (even for Pawz). So off to the vet I went.

So a day or so without the little fuzzbutt and he should be right as rain when he comes home.

Megs

P.S. Wait...this STILL means I need to give him pills don't I?
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:46 PM

poor Pawz

He'll be so happy to be home he won't mind too much if you do need to pill him

Old January 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM
-

Awwww.....hugs for Pawz. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM
The demons' servant

He came through the surgery just fine. All is good and right in the world. He's had TWO places that were blocked (not just one). Apparently he doesn't know how to take it easy! Reminds me of someone I know *coughdadcough*

So Wednesday morning will be the earliest he can come home.

And yet again, I'm broke...I sense a cycle coming on....

Megan
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM

YAY for Pawz

speedy recovery Pawz

Megan for you

Old January 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM
The demons' servant

So mom called for an update this morning on Pawz.

The catheter's going to be in for 24hours and his urine is very red and his temp is up in the 40's.

So it seems like he's doing OK.

The vet is going to call me back sometime after 7pm for another update.

And poor Leo is sorely missing his buddy. he keeps meowing and actually chased his OWN tail yesterday evening (something that he does rarely).

Megan
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear about Pawz and his pee problems. Hopefully he gets to come home soon!

Looks like both your kitties are in for a diet change now (and no, not what the vet recommends, which will undoubtedly be something along the lines of Hill's C/D ). I think I recall you switched them to an "indoor" dry formula a little while back, is that still the case? At the risk of sounding like a nag, it's absolutely crucial that all kibble be banned from your house from this point forward. To quote a vet tech I know: "No female cat should be allowed within 5 feet of dry food, no male cat within 50 feet, and a male cat that has had urinary tract problems should not be allowed in the same time zone as dry food."

There are lots of good canned foods out there, preferably something low-carb (grain-free is nice) with quality protein (not too heavy on the by-products). Wellness, Nature's Variety, Innova, etc are some that come to mind. Even the gluten-free Fancy Feast flavours are going to be heads and tails above the very best dry food. If you have trouble making the switch, here are some tips to help: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

Good luck, and I hope Pawz makes a full recovery!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Senior Contributor

good Luck to Pawz hughs & kisses from sasha and me for quick recovery. patti
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
To quote a vet tech I know: "No female cat should be allowed within 5 feet of dry food, no male cat within 50 feet, and a male cat that has had urinary tract problems should not be allowed in the same time zone as dry food."

There are lots of good canned foods out there, preferably something low-carb (grain-free is nice) with quality protein (not too heavy on the by-products). Wellness, Nature's Variety, Innova, etc are some that come to mind. Even the gluten-free Fancy Feast flavours are going to be heads and tails above the very best dry food. If you have trouble making the switch, here are some tips to help: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

Good luck, and I hope Pawz makes a full recovery!
Ditto, Sugarcatmom, excellent quote!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:31 AM
The demons' servant

Well the vet says I need to keep Pawz on the Medical S/O Urinary whatevers food. Its gotta be the vet prescribed stuff too. Not just ANY wet food I feel. I had asked that.

Its also gotta be an immediate swap for Pawz. He has to stay on this wet stuff only for the next month. After that I can TRY for a wet/dry combo. I suppose by then it'll depend on how he's eating and all that. *shrugs*

So far its...having issues LOL

Neither of them are used to being fed once or twice a day and only wet. So, right now I'm going to be feeding/locking Leo into the bathroom to eat the dry (the stuff I have now to use it up) and feeding the wet to Pawz. Today, mom's home so she'll be feeding a bit more often than I will be. The only trick is to get dad to go along with this /sigh.

Other than Pawz wrangling at 6am for the meds, all is good in the world.

More updates later...gotta get off to work!

Megan

Last edited by dtbmnec; January 17th, 2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Just so you know, you can leave wet food out for free-feeding if that makes it easier. That's what I do.

And while I understand if you feel more comfortable using the prescribed food for now, it really isn't necessary (of course the vet would say that it is! that's what they've been "taught" by the sales reps). The most critical factor is that the food be wet. I really hope you don't start adding dry back in later. http://www.catinfo.org/

Quote:
With regard to overall kidney and bladder health, I cannot stress strongly enough how important WATER, WATER, WATER is in both the prevention and treatment of diseases involving this organ system.

When a cat is on a diet of water-depleted dry food, they produce a more highly concentrated urine (higher urine specific gravity - USG) and they produce a lower volume of urine which means that a higher concentration of crystals will be present in the urine. This increases the chance of these crystals forming life-threatening stones. The concentrated urine and the lack of volume production can also be very irritating to the lining of the bladder wall predisposing them to painful cystitis.

Please keep in mind that a cat has a very low thirst drive and is designed to get water with their food. A diet of canned food will keep a proper amount of water flowing through the urinary tract system and help maintain its health.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:29 PM
The demons' servant

The wet food is going to cost me an arm and a leg. The stuff Pawz is on now is at least $10/month more than I was paying. That's only if I'm feeding Pawz on it at 1 1/2 cans. It'd double if I'm feeding Leo that as well.

I'll do a bit more research...

The vet also said that NO treats at ALL of any sort, unless they are specific medical treats too...No table scraps (sorry guys no more vids of him eating the spaghetti sauce).

This is what he's eating now: http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning%2...13-canned.html
This was what he was on before the evil crystals: http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/cat_w...hy_weight.html

Pawz so far hasn't eaten much of his wet food. Not for lack of trying, but he doesn't want the wet. Bah.

How long can you keep the wet food out for though? Whenever I have it tends to turn crusty and brown and dried. I only ask because I'm out from about 6:30am till 4pm and while dad IS home, he spends most of the day asleep and "can't bend over" (and yet still manages to bend over for change....)

Megan

Last edited by dtbmnec; January 17th, 2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The wet food is going to cost me an arm and a leg. The stuff Pawz is on now is at least $10/month more than I was paying. That's only if I'm feeding Pawz on it at 1 1/2 cans. It'd double if I'm feeding Leo that as well.
And how much did Pawz's emergency hospital stay cost? Sorry to be blunt, but nutrition is "pay me now or pay me later" kinda thing. Also, you really truly do not need to feed the prescription urinary diet. There are foods with much better ingredients for less money. Let's take a look at the ingredients in the Medi-cal SO:

Quote:
INGREDIENTS:
WATER, MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, CORN GRITS, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCTS, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT),..... SALT, POWDERED CELLULOSE, DRIED EGG PRODUCT....
Full of mystery-meat by-products, preserved with BHA & BHT (potentially carcinogenic stuff that most other petfood companies stopped using long ago), salt (in an attempt to get the cat/dog to drink more), powdered cellulose (since when did an obligate carnivore need wood pulp in their diet?).....and you're paying how much for a can???? Highway robbery.

Quote:
I'll do a bit more research...
Please do, starting with this site: http://www.catinfo.org/
and this one: http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php
and this one: http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Quote:
The vet also said that NO treats at ALL of any sort, unless they are specific medical treats too...No table scraps (sorry guys no more vids of him eating the spaghetti sauce).
Plain meat treats (raw or cooked) would still be good. Stuff like Pounce or Temptations, probably not.

Quote:
Pawz so far hasn't eaten much of his wet food. Not for lack of trying, but he doesn't want the wet. Bah.
There are tips for transitioning to canned on the first link I gave you. Crush up some dry if you have to and sprinkle it on top of the canned. Powdered freeze dried meat-treats like Halo Liv-a-littles are great, as are bonito flakes. But I suspect a better canned food might also help. Try gluten-free Fancy Feast to get him interested and later you can slowly switch to something better.

Quote:
How long can you keep the wet food out for though? Whenever I have it tends to turn crusty and brown and dried.
I leave it out all day (12 hrs between meals). Usually my guy eats it within the first 5-6 hrs, but sometimes he's still nibbling just before I serve up the next meal. Add some extra water to it to prolong the "freshness".

Old January 17th, 2008, 10:39 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
And how much did Pawz's emergency hospital stay cost? Sorry to be blunt, but nutrition is "pay me now or pay me later" kinda thing. Also, you really truly do not need to feed the prescription urinary diet. There are foods with much better ingredients for less money. Let's take a look at the ingredients in the Medi-cal SO:

Full of mystery-meat by-products, preserved with BHA & BHT (potentially carcinogenic stuff that most other petfood companies stopped using long ago), salt (in an attempt to get the cat/dog to drink more), powdered cellulose (since when did an obligate carnivore need wood pulp in their diet?).....and you're paying how much for a can???? Highway robbery.

Plain meat treats (raw or cooked) would still be good. Stuff like Pounce or Temptations, probably not.

There are tips for transitioning to canned on the first link I gave you. Crush up some dry if you have to and sprinkle it on top of the canned. Powdered freeze dried meat-treats like Halo Liv-a-littles are great, as are bonito flakes. But I suspect a better canned food might also help. Try gluten-free Fancy Feast to get him interested and later you can slowly switch to something better.

I leave it out all day (12 hrs between meals). Usually my guy eats it within the first 5-6 hrs, but sometimes he's still nibbling just before I serve up the next meal. Add some extra water to it to prolong the "freshness".

Pawz's surgery et al cost me about a grand.

Guess Leo's gonna be getting all those treats I bought....I figured if they were gonna get "good food" for dinner and all that I'd buy them some McDonald's treats....Temptations and something else - something that came with a bag of food or litter or something....

Part of Pawz's problem with the canned was that I was a horrible owner and didn't "crush" up the wet food enough. He couldn't lick it up . BAD owner! He gobbled it down when I finally did that.

I'm just not sure what to do with the rest of my dry food. I can't leave it out (or Pawz'll eat it) and feeding the beasts separately isn't going so well. Something about them being able to eat out of the same dish appeals to them. I'd rather not see my OTHER $50 worth of food go down the drain.

I didn't know leaving it out for 12 hours was OK. I'll be sure to tell that to dad when he feeds the beasts tomorrow at noon-ish.
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Part of Pawz's problem with the canned was that I was a horrible owner and didn't "crush" up the wet food enough. He couldn't lick it up . BAD owner! He gobbled it down when I finally did that.
Ya, it does tend to be more about them training us when you get down to it. Aztec also demands his food be appropriately smooshed up, with a touch of warm water added (but not too much!!), and presented to him with adoring reverence.

Quote:
I'm just not sure what to do with the rest of my dry food. I can't leave it out (or Pawz'll eat it) and feeding the beasts separately isn't going so well. Something about them being able to eat out of the same dish appeals to them. I'd rather not see my OTHER $50 worth of food go down the drain.
I hear ya. You can save some for treats later on, although it would be a long long time before you got through the bag and it would probably go rancid. Maybe a friend would buy it off you? I know it doesn't get your money back, but I'd suggest donating most of it to a shelter. It's worth a few karma points at least.

Anyway, glad that Pawz is home and eating.

Old January 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:

The vet stuff is always crazy expensive - but it shouldn't be too expensive to get your kitties on canned - even with the expensive stuff. I've got Jake on Wellness grain free Chicken, and the Turkey (to spice it up), and because it's so high in calories (but low in carbs), I only give him 4/5ths of a can a day (split the can into 5 pieces) - so he doesn't even eat a full can. He IS on a diet, but the website Sugarcatmom mentioned (www.catinfo.org) can lead you to a guide on what a typical cat should eat. It works out that even though Wellness is $1.29, I feed him less than one, which works out to be slightly less than if I was feeding him the much cheaper (and worse for him) Friskies at $.59 a can, because I'd have to feed him two of them so that he got the right amount of calories.

Does that make any sense?

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)