Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 25th, 2011, 07:56 PM

Can you recognize this cat food? (picture included)

I'm weaning my kitten off the cat or kitten food that came with her, but I'm running out quickly, I'd like to take longer to wean her. I don't know what it is though to buy a little more and no way to find out. I'm in Canada. Can anyone recognize it from the picture? Thank you!

(I bought Loblaws No-name cat food cuz it looked so much the same but at home I could see it was actually a little different.)

Last edited by Moi17; March 25th, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:59 PM
chronically insane.

Judging by the colors, it is something by Purina or Menu Foods... what area do you live in? That might help people narrow it down.. off the type of my head I've not seen any food like it and I'm pretty dang good at recognizing kibbles, but I am in the US. Depending on what you are weaning your cat on to, might not be a MAJOR issue if you don't do the weaning process. Many probiotics can help with tummy upset.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM
-

Moi, the sooner you get her off that stuff and on to a good raw or canned diet the better. As Kathryn noted you can supplement her diet to help with the transition but to buy another bag of the stuff... why waste your money?
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks Kathryn, I added that I'm in Canada in my initial post, hope that helps.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with mumx3, just get something better (ie wet food) and don't worry about doing a slower transition. I think the idea that cats have these super-sensitive digestive tracts and need very gradual food changes is overblown. In fact, I highly recommend feeding several brands/flavours and switching them frequently.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Moi, the sooner you get her off that stuff and on to a good raw or canned diet the better. As Kathryn noted you can supplement her diet to help with the transition but to buy another bag of the stuff... why waste your money?
I thought it was healthier to take a few weeks to transition to a different cat food increasing a little at a time and I only have enough left for, I think, a few days more. I plan to add canned in conjunction after the transition. Thanks!
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I agree with mumx3, just get something better (ie wet food) and don't worry about doing a slower transition. I think the idea that cats have these super-sensitive digestive tracts and need very gradual food changes is overblown. In fact, I highly recommend feeding several brands/flavours and switching them frequently.
You guys post faster than I can reply, lol. Thanks, my husband agrees to just go faster but I'm such a worrier and that's what I thought you were supposed to do.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:31 PM
-

If you don't think you are quite ready for raw, what you can do is start adding the canned to her diet now if you aren't already and phase out the kibble entirely. I'm with Sugarcatmom on shorter / unnecessary transition times and rotational diets.
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:14 PM
chronically insane.

You should be totally fine with a few days mix. When I took my cats off Innova because P&G bought it out, I directly switched them over to Fromm with really no mixing, they were fine and are doing great

This is VERY popular where I work

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Pack-Hol.../dp/B000VSZSBC

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:40 PM
banned user

This looks the same as the "compliment" line from IGA...
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That particular food is the cheapest food you can buy at a grocery store. It normally comes under whatever brand the store sells - Presidents Choice, Our Compliments, etc. It's made by the same company and just pkg differently for different stores. I think the bag costs around 2.50 or 3 bucks.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:41 PM

If it helps, my neighbor has a now 9 month old kitty, and she's been going through some difficult family stuff. She called me in desperation about three months ago to ask if she could borrow some food until the next day when she could shop. All I had was Wellness so I gave her a can. He loved it, and actually refused to go back to the Iams Kitten whatever she was feeding him. Not one fart, smelly poop, grumbly tummy - nothing. I made the same transition with my "seniors" a couple years ago - just a cold turkey switch. Also, no digestive problems (there was a week or so of "stink eye" but they like to eat more than they like to protest )! I'd say go for it - and just keep an eye on the output.

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Now is the time to get your cat on a really good raw diet, you will be AMAZED at the difference in your kitten's physique on a raw diet. It is equivalent to you feeding your children fresh fruits/veggies versus processed food with a vitamin pill attached.

No worries on the quick transition, my cats eat different brands of food daily with no problems .

Good luck with the transition!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post
This looks the same as the "compliment" line from IGA...
Thanks! Your grocery store suggestion put me on the right track, it seems to be the Sobey's brand.

I'm not going to take too long to wean her to the new food like suggested, but I'm glad to find the food even if I don't use much of it to make the transition because the baggy of cat food I was given by her previous owner was disgusting, it was full of human hair and little grey bits... some kind of kitty litter? Just ew.
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moi17 View Post
Thanks! Your grocery store suggestion put me on the right track, it seems to be the Sobey's brand.

I'm not going to take too long to wean her to the new food like suggested, but I'm glad to find the food even if I don't use much of it to make the transition because the baggy of cat food I was given by her previous owner was disgusting, it was full of human hair and little grey bits... some kind of kitty litter? Just ew.
So one of the cheapest varieties of kitty food, and they couldn't even give you a scoop fresh out of the bag, just floor sweepings. Nice.
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:59 PM
sempervivum

Ditto the others. Ive done cold turkey switches and mixed brands and not had issues

Canned or raw food has a higher moisture content which can prevent alot of expensive problems down the road. Its better to pay more for food now than more in vet bills later

Do you have pics of your kitty som'where?
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Hope this isn't too big, I don't know how to make it smaller...

Cookie! 12 weeks old

Old March 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM
sempervivum

Well thats just tooo stinkin' cute. Congrats
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww, what a sweetheart cookie is

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey