Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 4th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Question Performatrin

Any thoughts on the dog food named Performatrin? It's sold in Pet Value. I haven't seen any on the Wellness products in the pet stores here. I live in Sudbury. My dogs really like it but I would like to hear if anyone else has used it. The little "s I have won't eat dry food alone. Missie refuses all kibbles except what she can steal from the cat. Sophie will eat kibble only if it is mixed with canned food. Fussy little dogs that they are. Thanks all..
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Hi!

I'm in Toronto, moving to Sudbury in 3 weeks! I've heard of Performatrin, I've heard it's okay, not nearly as good as Wellness, which is what I feed my 1 year old GSD. What kind of dog do you have? I checked the old mother hubbard website (makers of wellness) it says that the Pet Food Warehouse on Lasalle and on Regent Street carry their products. Let me know if you find it. This is the only food my little monster will eat!! Also do you know of any good off leash areas to run my dog in Sudbury, preferably ones that are enclosed? Thanks a million!
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM

I'm feeding my dog a couple of different types of food. Fromm (any that doesn't contain chicken), and Perforatrin. It's a great food!! They use human grade ingredients and my dog just goes Ape over it!

I highly recommend Performatrin as the poops have been cut down dramatically since she started eating it. Seeing as she's currently eating a chicken free diet, when you're dealing with a dog such as mine, you're kind of limited with options.

I wish I knew about Wellness before. Now I'll have to do some research on their ingredients list. Thanks for mentioning it! It'll be nice to give her a bit of variety.
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey Crazy I donot know of any off leash parks here in Sudbury. Most people just take their dogs to abandoned school yards and let their dogs go there. In Sudbury, I find that the locals don't poop n scoop and leashes are some times a rarity. The only really nice park we have here is Ramsey Lake and your fur kid has (or supposed to be) on a leash. I sure hope you have only one or two dogs, because here in hooter ville the bylaw states only 2 dogs and cats per residence. What a crock of pigeon poop.Any way welcome to Sudbury, the land of really strange by laws and an invisible Mayor.
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Talking

Sorry Crazy I have a Shih Tzu ( Sophie ) and Missie a terri-poo and Piper the cat who's one dude.
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the info. Did you find wellness there? I went to Ramsey Lake when we visited Sudbury. It was absolutely beautiful, and Maxx LOVED it. He was running in the lake having on heck of a time! I saw the by-law about only 2 dogs....kinda silly if you ask me. I only have one fur kid though, and we're thinking about getting another. Are people in Sudbury pretty dog friendly? I found alot of people in Toronto afraid of larger breed dogs, and ignorance really gets to me!!!

Karen
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdDiamond
I highly recommend Performatrin as the poops have been cut down dramatically since she started eating it. Seeing as she's currently eating a chicken free diet, when you're dealing with a dog such as mine, you're kind of limited with options.
Yup me too - I've been feeding Performatrin ULTRA though. It's great - less poop... much less hair and my Rosie has way more energy - which is saying something for an 8 yr old Rottie

I would recommend the Ultra over the regular - but both are good foods.
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I found the wellness

Hey Crazy. I found the wellness. It is at Pet Food Warehouse on Lasalle blvd.
Old November 6th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Great! Thanks for letting me know!
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM

My sister just started her female springer on Performatrin Lamb and Rice, due to allergies she wants to see if this will help. She has already noticed less poos, and is eating less, just started last wk. I think when Scottie is finished his bag and closer to being done puppy will also be feeding the same. We'll see.
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:38 AM

performatrin

Hi!

Performatrin ultra is an excellent food. I myself, like to give variety to my dogs. We as humans do not like to eat the same dam thing all the time why would our dogs. Any of the all natural dogs food are good. Right now I'm giving my dogs the nutro ultra which is a new food that nutro came out with. They absolutely love it!!!!

Has anyone ever tried making some dog food? Once a week I make my babies what I call Goulash. I boil brown rice, white rice, regular ground beef, sardines, some veggies (carrots, broc) and 2 eggs. I let it all cook together until the water is gone. They sit around the pot as it cooks. How can you beat a home cooked meal?

Sometimes, I have to laugh at all the thought that we put into buying dog food. Whatever happened to Alpo and Dog Chow. Everybody used to feed it there pets years ago and had good long living healthy dogs.
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:55 AM

performatrin Ultra

Hi everyone I am new to this list as of today. I was looking around and saw the thread on Performatrin. Well that makes me feel welcome reading all the nice things you had to say. I own a Pet Valu Store in Scarborough :-) I also breed Leonbergers. I love to meet and talk to other pet owners.

There is a big difference in regualr Performatrin and Perfom Ultra. The Perform Ultra can go up against any of the holistic foods on the market right now. It is made with only fresh natural ingredients. I am not a lover of many grains in a diet. the way the grains are utilized in the Perform is great. They are only whole grains and not grain fractions eg. corn gluten meal ,rice flowr etc. Fresh and lamb meal give it one of the highest meat ratios in dog food.

Wellness is also a good choice although a lot of dogs done like it because it is baked and that seems ot throw them off. If they like it great!!

The New Nutro Ultra looks good also. We also carry that. So I hope you guys dont mind me jumping in here.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Wellness is excellent food,but extremely over-priced....I was kind of happy my cats did not like it I always check the ingredients and you can get "humane grade"very good food for half the price of Wellness.
I pay premium price for my cat-food,canned or dry,but paying $20+for a bag of wellness,when I get CSFPLS for $13 all the same ingredients,except Wellness uses sweet-potato instead of reg potato,does not make sense.We all want what is best for our animals and a little research will really open your eyes.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Leolvr,forgive my dog-ignorance,but what is a Leonberger??? sounds like something to eat
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:11 PM

performatrin Ultra (leonberger)

Hi Chico

A leonberger is a giant breed dog. they originated form Germany. they were bred to look like the lion on the coat of arms in Leonberg.

What is the name of the food you used letters for :-) Heck I can't figure out which one you were talking aobut LOL

Lori

Last edited by Ford; December 13th, 2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Hi and welcome!
I love your dogs! They look so soft and cuddly, yet something I would not want to piss off.
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Talking

Can I blow up a picture and post it at my front door. Attention all who contemplate breaking in..This maybe sitting on the other side of the door you are about to kick in. LOL Nice looking dog. Right now we have a sign up in the house, telling them we have a silent alarm. Please donot harm the animals, take what you want we are over insured. I worry what would happen to Missie and Sophie if someone was to break in. A Sih Tzu and a Terri poo wouldn't stand a chance.
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Leolvr,wow,wonderful dogs!! CSFCLS stands for Chicken-soup-for-cat-lovers-soul...it's made by a company in Texas for dogs,cats,kittens and puppies.
It is not available in stores like Pet-Smart,I've checked,or Pet-Value...
The store I buy if from is a big family-owned store...my cats love it and it has all the right ingredients.you can check it out at..
www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Talking perform ultra and leos and Chicken soup !!

You would not be able t rob my house because you would be licked and slurped and sat on. Leos are not the best watch dogs in the world I am glad they are big and imposing but not mean. I take them to the store with me. Of course not all together that would leave no room for customers!!

As for the Chicken soup. My brain could not get aorund the letters :-) I was going to be the first person in Canada carrying it , but I held off for awhile. We had introduced to many foods in the past year. It will be in our store in the new year. Along with another freezer with 2 new raw diets.

We carry a lot of holistic foods and supplements. I do l;ike Chicken soup it is a good food. Dogs and cats seem to enjoy it also. Great choice
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Sudbury's my hometown!

If you want, try the area around Laurentian University, the athletic fields aren't too bad...also lots of trails around there.

At the west end of Sudbury, if you're near Long Lake and drive past Sunnyside Drive, there's a ton of gravel roads (my parents live back in that area) and it's gorgeous, just watch out for the wildlife.

Bear tried Performatrim, and he gets a tonne of hotspots from any natural foods. Now he's on the cheap-o walmart brand and we haven't had a problem since.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Leolvr,if you get it in your Pet Value,maybe the Pet Value close to me will get it too.I drive about 40min to my favourite store,but also because I get birds-seeds in great big bags and peanuts,corn on the cob for my squirrels and other critters.
Our Pet Value currently has 9 cats in the store,owned by a homeless woman living in a van.
Old November 25th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Performatrin Ultra and Chicken soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Leolvr,if you get it in your Pet Value,maybe the Pet Value close to me will get it too.
It really depends on your store. I do a lot of outside purchases. Which means I carry a lot of things most pet valus do not carry. If your store buys things other then what Pet Valu brings in then maybe you can talk them into it.

Most PV's do not carry raw foods. I was the first one. I think there are 3 others that carry it now. We have always been involved with natural products. We are a ways form you though. We are in Scarborough

The Perform Ultra is a great food you should ahve a look at it. Compare the labels you will be surprised. I am not talking aobut regular perform jsut the Ultra. Plus it is less expensive :-) Is anyone going to the whole health expo this weekend? I will be there on Sunday with PV so drop by and say hi.

Lori
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=leolvr]Hi Chico

A leonberger is a giant breed dog. they originated form Germany. they were bred to look like the lion on the coat of arms in Leonberg.

Here is my webpage What is the name of the food you used letters for :-) Heck I can't figure out which one you were talking aobut LOL

Lori
Those are absolutely the most beautiful dogs!!!!

Last edited by Ford; December 13th, 2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old November 26th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolvr
The Perform Ultra is a great food you should ahve a look at it. Compare the labels you will be surprised. I am not talking aobut regular perform jsut the Ultra. Plus it is less expensive :-) Is anyone going to the whole health expo this weekend? I will be there on Sunday with PV so drop by and say hi.

Lori
Thats what I found when I did my research... I just bought Rosie a bag of the new Chicken P.U. She seems to love that too.

I noticed on your site that you have horses too... what kind, what do you do with them?

I have 2 paints... one retired to trails and the other will be my up and coming barrel horse.
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRA518
Thats what I found when I did my research... I just bought Rosie a bag of the new Chicken P.U. She seems to love that too.

I noticed on your site that you have horses too... what kind, what do you do with them?

I have 2 paints... one retired to trails and the other will be my up and coming barrel horse.
I have been showing hunters for a long time. I did not show last summer or probably not this summer either. My kids are taking up to much of my free time I may breed one or two this year though. I used to do western whe0n I was a kid loved doing the games at the fairs.
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Leolvr just wanted to tell you how beautiful your dog is my OEM has a female Leonberger pal. You don't see a lot of them around they have such a wonderful temperment
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmom
Those are absolutely the most beautiful dogs!!!!

Thank you I think they are pretty special also
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Leolvr just wanted to tell you how beautiful your dog is my OEM has a female Leonberger pal. You don't see a lot of them around they have such a wonderful temperment
thats great do you know the dogs name. There are only 3 breeders in Ontario and I know pretty much all the leos that are out there :-) So it woudl be great to know who it is and if I kow them
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

The dogs name is pekoe and she lives around high park and she is close to a year old a little younger
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
The dogs name is pekoe and she lives around high park and she is close to a year old a little younger
Pekoe is a daughter of my Hannah She is a sweet dog. She was stepped on by mom when she was one day old so has a deformed foot. She could not have gone to better people then Linda and Ray. They adore her. Linda's feelings get hurt though when people comment on her foot. sometimes I wish I had just kept her. Pekoe has the sweetest face and when you meet her you forget all aobut her injury. She can certainly run and jump. She plays with my allmost 2 yr old girl and they both fly around here. What a small world!!