Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

A question for those involved in rescue.......

This is a rather sad question really, but I'm wondering I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about what to do about cats when their owner dies?

I've recently had a death in the family, which has left 2 cats in a situation which isn't really great for them. They're not immediately homeless or anything, but their primary caretaker died and those left are not really in a position to take adequate care. I know nothing about the shelters in Ottawa, so I don't even know if that's a good option or if cat rescues take cats in this type of situation.

Anyways, all that to say, any suggestions would be much appreciated, I don't want these two cats to end up in a mess because of circumstance.
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

There is a rescue in Ottawa that is fairly big and I believe they are no kill.

http://www.foap.on.ca/

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks. I'm going to contact them, I don't know if this really counts as an owner surrender or not
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

SPCA of Western Quebec. They are no kill and are trustworthy. Too bad a family member cannot take them.

I think it is a good lesson to all of us that own an animal. We should be seeking out our 'chosen' people who will agree to take in case we never make it home. I know that i for one, would want to rest in peace knowing that my friends and family are on board to ensure the safety of my pets.

It does puzzle me however that when a loved one passes, would you not expect trying to hold onto something that is so dear to them? I wonder if it were a huge diamond that could not be squeezed through the front door - would there not be drastic measures one would take to get it in?

Sorry - i do know that there are circumstances but I am miffed as to why this happens.
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Is it possible to ensure that both cats will go to the same new home?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
SPCA of Western Quebec. They are no kill and are trustworthy. Too bad a family member cannot take them.

I think it is a good lesson to all of us that own an animal. We should be seeking out our 'chosen' people who will agree to take in case we never make it home. I know that i for one, would want to rest in peace knowing that my friends and family are on board to ensure the safety of my pets.

It does puzzle me however that when a loved one passes, would you not expect trying to hold onto something that is so dear to them? I wonder if it were a huge diamond that could not be squeezed through the front door - would there not be drastic measures one would take to get it in?

Sorry - i do know that there are circumstances but I am miffed as to why this happens.
Respectfully BenMax, this situation is riddled with some very serious problems which I'm not about to post on an open forum. Though I basically agree with your sentiment, I think passing judgement on a situation which you know nothing about is presumptuous to say the least.

If I were in any position to take the cats myself, I would, but I'm not about to subject them to living with two dogs who want to eat them and no ability to safely separate.

I'm looking to do the very best I can for these two cats given the situation and I would appreciate it if doing that did not get me painted as another person irresponsibly dumping animals into shelters without a thought.
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I understand and I am not judging - I am simply stating. Re-reading i can appreciate that I came off rather heartlessly.

I am sorry that things are difficult for you right now. I did provide something to help you.

Since this is a thread that you brought up I think that it is important for everyone to think about the fate of their animals just in case. No bad intentions made on my part.

Good luck.

Last edited by BenMax; March 16th, 2009 at 02:02 PM.