Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 5th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Need Help with Diet for Dog with crystals in urine

Marty has crystals in his urine and the the vet said I can feed him a canned dog food called Weruva . Each can has 10% protein and the vet said I could mix 1/4 cup of dried food called Blue Buffalo to a 5.5 0z can of food twice a day. I went to a farmer Co- op to buy a case of Weruva and a woman who is the buyer for the pets food told me that feeding Marty two cans per day has two much protein for a dog that has crystals in his urine. She said I should feed him one 5.5 oz of can per day , giving him half in morning and the rest in the evening and I should mix some kind of veggie and little dry food to make it more filling. Needless to say I find this very frustrating as the vet said it was OK to feed my dog two cans per day . Can anyone tell how much protein is too much for a small dog weighing about 17 lbs . There is some good news Marty peed in the co op and there was no blood in in his pee and it was good long pee!
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:34 PM

Barkindog - I wish I could help, but I really dont have experience in this area, I did take a look on my natural health bible for dogs and cats, and they recomend a natural diet and no dry food, cranberry extract, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin e, herbs like: alfalfa to alkalinize the urine, plantain, oregon grape....

Hope marty gets well soon

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post
Barkindog - I wish I could help, but I really dont have experience in this area, I did take a look on my natural health bible for dogs and cats, and they recomend a natural diet and no dry food, cranberry extract, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin e, herbs like: alfalfa to alkalinize the urine, plantain, oregon grape....

Hope marty gets well soon
Thank you Jull! I forgot about cranberry extract , I wonder if my fussy little doggie will like it. I guess Marty can't have any more dog cookies , he is not going to be happy about this. I will try the omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin e. I have some vitamin e caplets . Thanks looking this up.
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Barkingdog, it completely depends on the type of crystals. Did the vet tell you which type? The 2 most common are calcium oxylate and struvite, and both are treated differently. Our Thorin had calcium oxylate and Nookie is prone to struvite. If you can let me know which Marty has, I can give ya some info

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

As for cranberry, oregon grape etc, those are only useful for treating infections. Cranberry, for example, helps if it's an e-coli infection, but they won't help with bladder stones/crystals. If Marty has struvite, it can be food related (urine is too alkaline), but struvites are also caused by bladder infections, whereas oxylate stones can be hereditary and/or diet related.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Barkingdog, it completely depends on the type of crystals. Did the vet tell you which type? The 2 most common are calcium oxylate and struvite, and both are treated differently. Our Thorin had calcium oxylate and Nookie is prone to struvite. If you can let me know which Marty has, I can give ya some info
No my vet only said my dog had crystals and to feed him wet food . I will call the vet tomorrow and see which kind of crystals my dogs has. Thank you! I did not know there where more than one type , I wish I vet had told me.
The vet put him on clavamox 125 mg #8400 for 10 days and Marty take these BID and on Rimadyl 75 mg , and I wastold togive this to Marty for 4 days.
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
As for cranberry, oregon grape etc, those are only useful for treating infections. Cranberry, for example, helps if it's an e-coli infection, but they won't help with bladder stones/crystals. If Marty has struvite, it can be food related (urine is too alkaline), but struvites are also caused by bladder infections, whereas oxylate stones can be hereditary and/or diet related.
Marty is a small white dog and the vet said these dogs are prone to getting crystals in their urine. So I guess it would hereditary and diet related. I never had this happen to dog before , so this is all new to me. Thank you!