Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old December 10th, 2010, 08:45 AM

plaque attack

I have a kitty with severely red gums and horrible breath. He's had his teeth cleaned recently, but because his mouth hurts, he doesn't eat like he should. Dry food is totally out. Does plaque attack work? I hate to keep having him go under anasthesia to get his teeth cleaned. Thanks!
Old December 10th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

How old is your cat? Does he have any mouth ulcers? Any teeth that need removing? I'm concerned that his appetite is affected by his dental health, because it could mean he has something like Stomatitis, which is an auto-immue disease resulting in chronic, painful mouth inflammation. Can be very difficult to treat, and something like Plaque Attack is not likely to make any difference whatsoever. Even if Stomatitis isn't the issue, I'd stay away from Plaque Attack. Not only does it contain ingredients cats shouldn't be ingesting, but good luck to anyone that actually tries to spray this stuff in their mouth!
http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+2121&aid=368

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 10th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Plaque Attack for cats

I am with Plaque Attack and I would like to clear up the mis-information posted here.

Plaque Attack is not only safe for cats and dogs, but it has primarily been sold though veterinarians who would prefer to prevent illnesses instead of treatments.

Plaque Attack works. Its ingredients are safe and have proven to be so. Additionally, there is a gel version with Wild Salmon oil which can be swiped on the teeth, on a paw or on a treat to get into the mouth. The product does need at least 30 minutes without the pet drinking to avoid having it rinsed off.

A full ingredient list is on www.plaqueattack.ca - upper right corner for the FAQ and the ingredient list.

Last edited by Blackbear; December 10th, 2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: No promotion, pls
Old December 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

plaque attack

My vet advised me that it has grain alcohol as one of the main ingredients which is actually wood alcohol. I can't see how that would be safe for either a cat or dog. My vet suggested Pet Dental as a safer alternative.
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellontv View Post
Plaque Attack is not only safe for cats and dogs, but it has primarily been sold though veterinarians who would prefer to prevent illnesses instead of treatments.
You and your company apparently don't know much about cats. For starters, cats are not small dogs. Their livers are quite unique, lacking the necessary enzymes to metabolize certain compounds in essential oils. With repeat exposure, these compounds will accumulate to toxic levels, causing liver damage and even death. Therefore, essential oils are poisonous to cats. Plaque Attack contains essential oils. Particularly bad are peppermint and thyme. Unfortunately Plaque Attack isn't the first company to make products dangerous to cats, but maybe you can pass the following info on to someone there so they can remedy the situation.
http://cats.about.com/od/housekeepin...omatherapy.htm
http://www.thelavendercat.com/3201/index.html
http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/a...oils-for-pets/
http://www.holisticat.com/aromatherapy.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:01 PM

Post Essential oil ingredients contraindicated for pets

I am a clinician and formulary herbalist and clinical aromatherapist who founded a company that manufacturers among other products, a line of Equine and Pet herbal products. We also manufacture a Premium Line (for Adults) and Children's Line (the first commercially available line of true alcohol-free formulas for Children in the herbal/natural products industry starting in 1991). My company was the first company in the industry to introduce the Aromaceutical™ concept into liquid herbal products, e.g. adding a small ingredient amount of Essential Oils (EO's) blends into the finished liquid herbal products.
Studies in Europe have clearly shown that EO's are toxic (and even poisonous) to small pets, dogs and cats included, but ESPECIALLY CATS! This is not hubris or something drawn out of thin air but a proven scientific fact!
We were approached by a Veterinarian in Virginia about doing a specific line of our products for small pets, as she had already been using the Children's products for her small pet patients. This of course prompted me to inform her not to use any products that contained our Aromaceutical™ ingredient. A complete line of Pets products was developed/formulated followed shortly thereafter with an Equine line of products. In both our Equine and Pets products NO EO's are used at anytime. Why? Because dogs and cats, and especially cats, cannot matabolize the heavy mole weight constituents of EO's, such as the terpines, esters and aldehyde compounds. These compounds build up in the liver of dogs and cats and over time WILL result in serious liver problems and damage, that can result in death.Even external use of diluted EO's solutions are damaging. Sadly, most Veterinarians don't recognize the symptoms for EO's toxicity/poisoning and can accidentally utilize a protocol that can exacerbate the condition.
Dr. George is a dentist who's schooling and degree are for HUMAN medicine, not veterinarian medicine. He obviously has no knowledge or understanding of dog and cat physiology, biochemistry or animal medicine considerations. He (or she) has patented a product that has no reliable basis in clinical studies as to toxicity/poisoning issues specifically for Plaque Attack. As for the people who say they have used Plaque Attack for years on their pets "safely," well... that needs to be substantiated with a full liver panel of these pets to ascertain if indeed they have not been damaged with the EO's ingredients in this product. Those testimonials are a very shallow assessment and ignore the need for much deeper assessment of this premise done on a scientific basis, not cheap anecdotal stories that completely ignore the evidence otherwise and put innocent pets at risk. No matter how you cut it using Plaque Attack with its EO's ingredients is a form of cruelty to pets I cannot not broker.
I have studied EO's and their uses in general aromatherapy (topical use), clinical aromatherapy (internal use), herbalism, nutritional science, foods, beverages, confectionaries, etc., and have a highly weighted understanding of the physiological and biochemical effects on humans AND animals, and have collaborated with numerous veterinarians who completely agree with my assessments. In other words, I can safely say I know much more about this subject of using EO's as ingredients in products and their effects both short term and long term on pets than the creator(s)/purveyor(s) of Plaque Attack do.
In closing, Plaque Attack's EO's ingredients are contraindicated for pets in many respectable and credible texts on the subject both here in the U.S. and abroad, especially Europe. Also, my personal experience verifies that the EO's ingredients in Plaque Attack are a ticking time bomb of toxicity and poisoning for innocent pets. This is fact, not the fantasy hubris the owner/marketers of Plaque Attack are foisting on an unsuspecting public and ill informed veterinarian community.
Old October 21st, 2012, 01:15 PM

To Buddahcowboy

Thank you for your info on Plaque attack. I wonder how I could research the info from the studies in Europe that you refer to. So far I am not even able to find a list of ingredients used in the product.
I have 2 small dogs. One has diabetes.
I did not like the smell of the product and was wary of using it, but did so against my better judgment, in the hopes of taking better care of their teeth.
I have been using it for about a week. For the last few days I notice that my diabetic dog is drinking A Lot more water. Today she didn't want to get up for breakfast, tho eventually she did eat. This was Very unusual.
I am wondering how long it would take for liver damage to show up in a blood test. And I am wondering what I can do to undo damage if there has been any.
Her last blood test was about a month ago and she was in very good shape at that time, except for the need for tooth extractions.
I wish I had trusted my instincts and not used the Plaque Attack.
Yours seems to be the Most informative thing I have read about plaque attack. I would definitely like to read the studies you speak of, but search results seem to be limited, or I do not know the proper way to search in depth.
I hope to hear from you.
Thank you, Ames
PS, I am new to this forum. I don't know if I will be notified if you or anyone else replys here.
{ Edited. No personal eMail addresses, pls}

Last edited by hazelrunpack; October 21st, 2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: more certain contact
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
You and your company apparently don't know much about cats. For starters, cats are not small dogs. Their livers are quite unique, lacking the necessary enzymes to metabolize certain compounds in essential oils. With repeat exposure, these compounds will accumulate to toxic levels, causing liver damage and even death. Therefore, essential oils are poisonous to cats. Plaque Attack contains essential oils. Particularly bad are peppermint and thyme. Unfortunately Plaque Attack isn't the first company to make products dangerous to cats, but maybe you can pass the following info on to someone there so they can remedy the situation.
http://cats.about.com/od/housekeepin...omatherapy.htm
http://www.thelavendercat.com/3201/index.html
http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/a...oils-for-pets/
http://www.holisticat.com/aromatherapy.html
I am not trying to go off topic , I brought my small dog a natural flea collar and within half a hour I had a horrible headache. There was pennyroyal oil in the collar and I looked it up on line and was shocked to read it was harmful to pets and can cause headaches. I think something need to be done to made companies that sell pets products have warning labels that their products can be harmful to people pets.
Old April 26th, 2016, 10:03 PM

Treatment "PlaqueOff" that help with plaque in cats (it has helped to my cat)

* Fights Bad Breath
* Fights Tartar
* Fights Plaque

PlaqueOff is a powder. The ingredients are:
  • Seaweed meal (specially selected Ascophyllum nodosum D1070)
  • Brewer’s yeast
(http://stomatitisincat.ucoz.com/inde..._for_cats/0-14)

Old June 9th, 2016, 12:27 AM

Thanks for your post. I too was in search of a solution for this problem.

Tags
plaque attack