Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 6th, 2007, 11:43 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Thumbs down Montreal--Absolutely no dogs in parks...leashed or unleashed

FYI...we live in Pierrefonds, borough of Montreal, and the by-law that permitted leashed dogs in parks has been rescinded and they are now prohibited at all times; leashed or unleashed. I have neighbors who has already received $150 ticket, no warning. This is so stupid but it is true so be careful and proceed accordingly. I have not seen this written anywhere. Have only heard from people who were spoken to by public security!!!

Last edited by diandpat; August 8th, 2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Add city name
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is weird that there are no signs posted to warn people. Any idea why there would be such a by-law? I can undertand not allowing unleashed, but leashed also?? Dogs need to be exercised daily and where better than a park???

Is there any dog only, unleashed parks in your neighbourhood?
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

You need to go to the cities web site and take a look at the by-law. There must have been something that led up to this. Do you remember any news articles about problems with dogs in parks?

Cindy
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:02 PM
-

You could also email your city/ municipal councillor and ask for a electronic or paper copy of the by-law. Toronto seems to be moving in that direction as well...
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I'm not sure about Mississauga, but the parks around me aren't safe enough for me to want to take my dogs to. Because of the heat, we can't walk them until the sun starts to go down and all the drug dealers appear to like hanging around the entrances to the parks near me. There's a law against drug dealers but I'm not seeing that enforced here to well.

Cindy
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I've never heard of such a thing! That is awful! Just when you think the world is beginning to become more dog friendly, something sad like that happens. Makes you wonder what some idiotic dog owner(s) did to ruin it for everyone else.
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
-

I have a book that lists the trails in Quebec (it also says if dogs are allowd or not). I saw a couple in West Island, altought you do have to take your car to get there.
Here are the ones near your place that allowd dogs , pm me if you would like more details

St-AnneDe-Bellevue (Canal Historique 2.0 kms of trail)
DDO (Parc du centenaire 4.9 kms of trail)
Pointe-Claire (Parc Terra Cotta 6.0 kms of trail)
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM

Frenchy, thanks for those alternate locations.

Mostly I just want people to know that this is a Montreal by-law and that the boroughs may or may not have changed their policies since the merger.

They are very strict about this and it really really gets under my skin. The park where I like to walk my dogs in the evening is on school grounds of a school that was not built when I was in school, where the kids that I do not and will not have will never go to school yet I HAVE to pay school taxes every year and cannot even walk my dogs there!!!!! It makes no sense at all.

This is what happens I guess when people do not pick up their dogs "business"...we all pay!
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Please, I've been to some parks where I've seen diapers just thrown in bushes. Maybe they should have the same law for kids.
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Lightbulb The Gazette Story

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...435&k=6407&p=1

don't know if this works but here is the link to a July 25 story in the Gazette. Please sign the petition if/when you see it. This is ridiculous.
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM

pierrefonds

I have lived in Pierrefonds for the last couple of years, and it's been a very difficult adjustment in terms of going out with the dogs.
It's awful to walk the dogs in the street, as there are no sidewalks in a lot of Pierrefonds, and where the streets become narrow, (more in winter with snow accumulation), it's murderous.
Supposedly it's all to protect 2 yr olds from eating poop according to the guy at the burrough office.
Well a lot of people are absolutely fuming mad about this. There's been letter writing back and forth in local papers by pro and anti dog folks, and one woman is doing a great job of speaking for us. However, I do think we have to get a little more organized and unified in our plight.
I actually agree with restricting dogs from some areas of the parks, like near the sand boxes, playground equipments, etc, but the truth is that in the majority of the parks around Pierrefonds, it's rare to see a child, or anyone at all, some of them seem to serve a decorative only purpose.
Really, we need to refine the laws in Pierrefonds. Maybe what we need is a Pierrefonds dog owners association, to sort this out.
Interested anyone?