Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Closed Thread

Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Personally, I find this thread kind of oppressive. Especially when the OP comes on and "reprimands" raw-feeders for not giving an Anti-raw annecdote. Seriously, you can't start a thread and say "No, you can't reply like that, I don't like your response. Tsk Tsk."
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Happy cats, I am beyond touchy right now, and have been for the last few days. One major downfall to the internet, cant read tone.
Sorry to over react as well as blunty type "who judged" I should have elaborated more I know.
However, ON TOPIC and them Im gone.
There are downfalls to BOTH diets.
Kibble- trusting complete strangers to feed your dogs or cats. No control of what is going in each meal, imported ingredients that could poision your pet, fillers!

And from a "pro raw" standpoint: the downfalls of raw.
Raw- Except for certain circumstances, there is no way to know the source of your meat, Lots of work, hazards )ie choking, perforations, intestinal blockages ect.), bacteria ( although not a big concern of mine) and for some, not researching thourougly ( again, not for all "raw gone bad " situations)
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM

I'm interested in the BARF diet but not convinced YET this is what's best for my pooch. Right now, she's healthy & doing great with kibble.

Thought this article was interesting (The BARF diet - a critique):

http://www.worldwidehealth.com/article.php?id=104
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez View Post
Right, there have been several hundred posts regarding the benefits of feeding raw and why everyone should be doing it

HOWEVER

There are many people who don't feed raw and they have heir own specific reasons...

Let's hear them here

The question was ; for those who don't feed raw,what are the reasons.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
The question was ; for those who don't feed raw,what are the reasons.
and those of us who do aren't allowed to say anything? People who don't feed raw still pipe up in raw-positive threads, but you don't see any of the raw feeders saying "No! You're off topic! Stop it! I want to only know about why raw is good!"?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyluv View Post
and those of us who do aren't allowed to say anything? People who don't feed raw still pipe up in raw-positive threads, but you don't see any of the raw feeders saying "No! You're off topic! Stop it! I want to only know about why raw is good!"?
I don't think this was meant to start conflict between raw and kibble feeders.

If we all had the same opinion, this place would be pretty boring, and everyone has the right to post their opinions in any thread, as long as it's done in a respectfull manner.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Honest Contributor

this is worse than a Stanley Cup finals game, Montreal vs Toronto! LOL

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:36 PM

Crappy food sucks. Good food rocks. That's the jist of it. Form is secondary.

I think where this thread went off the tracks was when the OP asked why people don't feed raw, and the raw feeders basically said "They don't feed raw because..."

My turn to get preachy.

It's one thing to plug raw. It's a whole other thing pushing kibble down while you do it, and vice versa. That's just unnecessary. If everybody kept their comments personal, we probably wouldn't clash as much. By personal, I mean, "I feed kibble because I know my dogs and I've researched everything and I feel this is the best choice for my dogs." Not personal is "People don't feed kibble because they're too lazy to scoop it out of the bag." You know what I mean? Say what you do and what you've decided on without implying things of others.

End preach/

Last edited by Prin; April 23rd, 2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyluv View Post
Personally, I find this thread kind of oppressive. Especially when the OP comes on and "reprimands" raw-feeders for not giving an Anti-raw annecdote. Seriously, you can't start a thread and say "No, you can't reply like that, I don't like your response. Tsk Tsk."
Awwwww Puppyluv, don't be like that! I was just trying to get it back on track and focused!

Please don't be offended, like I said, I started this post to see the other side of things, which isn't always discussed or obvious, NOT as a pot-stirring excercise...

There have been some great posts in here, it's always good to see the other side of the coin, don't you think?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
Live well, laugh often

From the BARF critique article that K9Friend posted.

Quote:
I agree with Dr Billinghurst that nutrition is the most important factor influencing health and I agree that the majority of the illness we see in pets is related to feeding commercial pet foods. I have no doubt that the type and quality of ingredients e.g. soya, cereal and animal bi-products, wheat, chemical adulterants which go into most commercial foods are largely responsible for this.

I am sure that the BARF Diet is effective for many pets and their owners but my own experience confounds Dr Billinghurst's claim that his is the only correct way.
Because of the diversity of the dog population there will undoubtedly be some dogs who will do better on a raw/BARF diet than on a cooked diet. But the opposite is equally true.

My experience over a number of years of recommending a diet based on unrefined cereals, vegetables and meats, whether cooked at home or commercially prepared, is that this acts holistically to provide health benefits equal to those claimed for the BARF diet.

My main criticism of the BARF philosophy is its self-righteousness. BARFism argues with a certainty which bears comparison to religious fundamentalism; it brooks no dissent. It advocates a system which is impractical and does not fit well into the lifestyle of present society, denying the possibility of alternatives, thereby condemning those pet owners, the majority, to feelings of inadequacy for failure to follow its teachings.

I said earlier that Dr Billinghurst gave a paper to the American Veterinary Holistic Society. His paper was called "Evolutionary Nutrition for Pets – Hearsay and Dangerous, or Hard Science and Healthy? I will leave you to make up your own mind on the answer to that question.

Is it not also unfortunate that those of us whose main interest is in improving pet health through proper nutrition should be criticising each other rather than the real culprits – the producers of the poor quality pet foods which do cause the problems?
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:04 AM

I have replied to a thread about this but here goes again. I had a Bullmastiff who died as a result of a chicken bone lodged in his intestine and his intestines ruptured. I did NOT give him the chicken bone, I did however cook food for him. Such as scrambled eggs,boiled or grilled boneless chicken, rice, beef roast, beef steak.He also got the quality dry dog food. I NEVER gave him meat with a bone in it, it is too dangerous. Blockage of the intestine, splintering and lacerating the insides. Sounds painfull doesn't it. I don't have a problem with feeding your dog meats as long as there is NO bone in it,and it is cooked. I don't have a problem with feeding dogs dry dog food as long as it is a quality, healthy food.
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Very sorry about your Bullie amsmom2njkz. Can you tell me, was it a raw or cooked chicken bone?

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_B View Post
Very sorry about your Bullie amsmom2njkz. Can you tell me, was it a raw or cooked chicken bone?
Thank You Scott. I would have to assume it was cooked and have to assume he got it out of the trash or outside somewhere.
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Diversity of opinion is fine - but let's keep things civil.

Some members are passionate about raw.
Some members are passionate about not feeding raw.

Like everything on this planet there are multiple points of view.

There comes a point in time where we need to pull back after we have stated our opinions many times in a particular thread. Failure to do so usually results in passionate threads becoming overheated and often rudeness, slander and other rule breakers are quick to surface.

This thread will now be closed.

thx

marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread