Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old January 18th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I really hope they will be ok. If I had a garage this would not have been a problem... I just don't have enough rooms in this house....Let me see if I can round up friends that can atleast foster them until something comes up...will be getting back to you...
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM

I know you're trying hard cpietra, thank you.

Two of them have been missing for the last 3 days....
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh No which ones???
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Charlie (black cat) and Thelma, one of the ferals
Attached Images

Old January 18th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Here's Thelma
Attached Images

Old January 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Have they ever disappeared before? Maybe they are just hiding because of the bad weather?
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM

Usually, on the worst days, on most days, they hide under my balcony which tells me there's no better place for them. Puma use to hide and give birth in a hole in a tree 3 stories high. 5 week old kitties would fall out of the tree every few months. since her operation, She doesn't go there anymore and squirrels have moved in.

Thelma comes and goes...she is the least tamed. But Charlie sticks around.
I always feed them at the same time everyday and have a special whistle that they answer to.

Within the hour of their feeding, they're usually waiting on the stairs for me or under the balcony but if they aren't, I whistle the special whistle and they come running. But Charlie hasn't been around the last 3 days (we call him Charlie because he's the only male and he watches over his 4 other angels).

I know it's inevitable that something will happen to them. I just don't know which one and when. I think it was a big mistake taming Tiger, Puma and Charlie. I realized this too late.

For their own protection, I don't bother taming Thelma and Louise.

Last edited by catsnatcher-CDN; January 18th, 2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you checked the SPCA...could someone have taken him in ...would he go to anyone??? I hate the unknown...this is really upsetting.
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Thank you for sharing in my panic, cpietra. It's how feel most of the time when I don't see one of them under my balcony.

There's no way I can call the SPCA for so many reason.

1. he is a black cat among hundreds of black cats.
2. He is a stray among so many in my district
3. he has no collar, no distinctive feature
4. because he is semi-feral, he will go NUTS in an enclosed cage (which I've seen first hand) and won't survive ten minutes at the SPCA.
5. Most importantly, I don't want the SPCA roaming my neighborhood. I don't want to criticize their hard work or minimize the tough decision they have to make, but the last thing I want is their van pulling up in my alley. Tiger, Puma and Charlie would be the easiest to catch, the first to go and the most impossible to adopt and we know that formula guarantees them only one fate.

I can guarantee noone will take him in. It's not that kind of neighborhood. And stray cats are not the priority here where most have to think of their own security and survival.

Last edited by catsnatcher-CDN; January 18th, 2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

What a terrible situation,I can soo understand how you feel.
I don't think I could deal with all this cat-misery,I would be climbing the walls.
I hope Charlie finds his way back and that nothing has happened to him,my Chico looks just like your Charlie,a carbon copy:sad:
I am happy there are people like you guys who care,but it seems it just is never enough,one sad story after the other:sad: no end.
I wish I had a magic wand to make all these wonderful cats/kittens get a warm loving home.
But a great big hug to you and others for helping these beautiful sad little creatures.
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Please keep me posted. I will hope for the best.
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Catsnatcher, I was looking thru the SPCA 24/7 web site and saw a few cats that looked like Thelma..now I know she's feral but I always want to hope for the best ... . There is one that was found in your neck of the woods and they say she may be pregnant...but they also thought that my Tess was a senior and she turned out to be 3 years old...they make mistakes...
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsnatcher-CDN
Here's Thelma
could they be the same???
Attached Images

Old January 20th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

She looks a little darker than Thelma,but then again,you never know..
Would the SPCA bother with a pic,if the cat is feral and probably deemed unadoptable?
After all they killed a couple of Calico kittens,not feral to the same extent and probably hundreds more.
I hope both Thelma and Charlie have returned by now
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Chico...they have this cat listed as found...so maybe I was hoping that they will try to find the owner before they put her down, if she were unadoptable. I realize that it is darker, but it could also be the lighting...I know that its a long shot but miracles have been known to happen
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM

They're all back today!

Here's Charlie and Thelma today
Attached Images

Old January 20th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Here's Tiger, the Maincoon
Attached Images

Old January 20th, 2006, 11:12 AM

This is where they live.

I put planks so that they can walk and eat on the ground because they were stuck on top of all the objects since the balcony flooded. I raised their food up also so it won't flood.
Attached Images

Old January 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh thank you for letting us know...It was driving me crazy not knowing. I have the word out and I hope to have answers soon. Have you tried contacting Canine14, she was very helpful with Tess....just another avenue
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Catsnatcher,that's wonderful news,even better news would be if someone,somewhere could bring them inside.
I know what you are doing for them,probably saved their lives this winter and for that you are a kitty
They are all beautiful,but Tiger really tugs at my heartstrings,I sooo wish I could have him.
I had a cat just like him,his name was Tigger,he unfortunately only lived to be 3 yrs old:sad:
I see you have lots of snow,which makes it worse,here we had springweather today with +12C and no snow at all,just mud.
What will happen to the cats when you move?? They will more than likely stick around waiting for you to feed them:sad:
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought I would go back to your thread instead of highjacking Badgers
I hate to think this way but when you move out, I would rather see them put down humanely than live outside thinking they will have a place that will provide them food. The next people moving in may not be as loving towards cats. I have a feeling that the SPCA will be called in they would be put down anyway...would it be possible to have them adopted to people outside Quebec...would you be willing to have someone take them in but keep them as outdoor cats?
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I know it's a long shot, but I saw this lost cat listing, and it looks a bit like Tiger. http://www.canadastrays.com/search/d...ov=QC&type=cat

And maybe this is Charlie
LOST CAT!

My cat Saphir left my appartment April 29th and has not been seen since. He left from the back
door into the alley way between Lorne av and Aylmer st.He's black with yellow eyes and weighs about 15 pounds. If you look at his fur closely you can notice some white hairs, as well as a little white patch on the lower front of his neck. He's very friendly and enjoys people. Please call: 514-378-7467 in the evenings or email me at:lostblackcat@primus.ca if you have found/seen him. My other cat and I miss him much.

04-29-05

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by happycats; January 25th, 2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:27 PM

hope you find your kitty, happycats. The lost cat looks exactly like Tiger except that Tiger has lost the tip of her ear to frostbite and has been here since she was 6 months old.

Cpietra,

I see your point but I couldn't euthanize these cats. I wouldn't have the heart. They are healthy and so sweet. I just couldn't....

The problem with keeping them as outdoor cats elsewhere is that they have to remain enclosed for at least 6 months because they will try to come back here.
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
hope you find your kitty, happycats.

Cpietra,

I see your point but I couldn't euthanize these cats. I wouldn't have the heart. They are healthy and so sweet. I just couldn't....

The problem with keeping them as outdoor cats elsewhere is that they have to remain enclosed for at least 6 months because they will try to come back here.
Thats' a posting (by someone else) for a lost cat. THe first looks like your tiger, and the second sounds like your Charlie

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old January 25th, 2006, 09:43 PM

Oh Sorry happycats. I thought it was your post.

These cats have been here in the alley since they were six months. They've never been adopted by anyone.
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Oh Sorry happycats. I thought it was your post.

These cats have been here in the alley since they were six months. They've never been adopted by anyone.

I'm sorry , those poor babies!! How sad! Maybe you can find a good farmer who would be able to take these guys on?

I know how you feel, as I looked after a stray for a year, before finding a good home for her, so please don;t give up hope, sometimes it just takes time ( I know with your situation time isn't on your side) If you move would you be able to take them with you?

Old January 31st, 2006, 02:44 AM

Catsnatcher-
Its such a shame you don't live around here(Idaho.) My Aunt has a pretty good size farm out here, and last year her kittens died before they had a chance to grow up (Genetics on them weren't the greatest.) Theres so many people here that want and need cats. With me and my mom rescuing cats, we've placed well over thirty in farms and houses all over Idaho, and we've only ever had to take in one ourselves. (He was too cute to give away.)
If there was any way you could bring him to the states, which I serious doubt, there are more then plenty of homes that are eager to take in any of them.
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:43 PM

Thanks Xix,

You're too far out west, but thanks for the offer! I wish we had your problem of 'lack of cats' here in Quebec!! If only you really knew how bad it was here...
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Catsnatcher- Just to update on the farm... he hasn't said no yet He needs to think it through as he just got 2 other cats given to him to live on his farm...they are declawed so they have to be indoors.
Your 2 ferals cats will have to stay inside the home for awhile so that they don't run off which means he now has to think about how 2 declawed cats and 2 ferral cats will get along in a home. He will get back to me ASAP.
I am still trying to find homes for my 2 foster babies and I hope I will be able to help you with the other cats. Can you take the cats with you when you move, which may give me more time to play with?
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

They are all beautiful and I love black cats (I never understood the notion that black kitties are the last adopted- it makes no sense to me at all!!!!!)
I adore Thelma though - she is just beautiful.

Oh - and I missed those posts Happycats - that your kitty is missing/ I'll think some good thoughts and say some prayers. A frie d said prayers for me the other nitre when I was feeling pretty mserable and even tho it did not stop tge pain, it made me feel good knwoing he cared enough to do that and the soothing tone of his praying out loud seemed to be well, soothing in a way~ Have you done all the things they tell you do on those sites like catinthebag and lost pets? They contend there is a difference in searching for a cat that is indoor vs one that is used to the outdoors - and that most never really go that far - one man (a real live pet detective and there is a pet detective, Melanie soemthing I think her name is that has a great site with wqonderful ideas that have worked for many) had a grid pattern he works out - lool evert where close by that might haver a hiding place and cats who have strayed for whatever reason (wunderlust, adventure, curiosity...) can become scared of humans very quickly and will even run for their owner. One of the best ideas I believe in - because it has worked for me when I helped other friends who have lost kitties - is to trap your cat as if s/he were feral with a humane trap. Place his fav food. I have done this maybe 5 times now and it has always worked so I am quite a believer in it now. You do get some other small animals in the process sometimes - and other neighboorhood cats or small dogs and of course , wild animals of various species but it's winter and some are hibernating. So you might try that - s/he may be - and is most likely not all that far away!! If worse comes to worse, I hve even come to believe (scientist and all) in people who know how to talk to cats and figure out the problem - if there was a prob as to why they ran off - and lets them know things will be better. I know it sounds change but I have seen that work with someone else's cat - and heard two stories by two people I consider reputable and not publicity seekers. Just a few thoughts...... I so hope you find her!

Do you have blankets and straw and other essentials that could help them leep warm. This may already have beensaid and I just noticed there is a 2nd page - I am at work but it is quiet here since we have a majr storm in Hfx and I only got in because of a neighbour who is in the RCMP and prob more so than me, is considered essential and so I drove with him even tho "civilians" are not supposed to be in their SUV. And we followed the plow. (plow - I can never spell that, got into trouble once for writing an article when on a summer job I spelled it wrong and I am doing it again I am sure, lol - of course that was not as bad as mytypo of "toetruck", lol - the newspaper rec'd so many calls for that, but my quiestion is where was the typesetter and the editor - I was just a mere summer student. Luckily, my family owned the newspaper or I may have not had much future for the rest of the summer, hehheh)

I also have an aching back that has brought me to tears and I am pretty good at handling pain - a walk down te aisle is just torture, so I am going to get an injection of something before I leave - since I am not driving - to see if that will at least help me sleep tonite

Sorry for the hijack. It is one of those days. Good in that only one appt showed up (from New Brunswick where it was not stomring when they left and had they not some in, I may have stayed and worked from home but they drove 7 hours to see me so they deserve the best attention and treatment their child can get!!!) And so I also got to be PlayLady - she did not make it in and I am wondering why I did not obtain a Bachelor's degree in Child Studies (avail at a local univ - Mount St. Vincent). Less money but I don't do this for the money - if I did, I would be in the US or some suny tropic island that tries to recruit me year after year, lol If you do this job for the money, you should not be in the profession. (Unfortunately, to be honest, not every pediatric hematologist/ oncologist shares my view of the world.

Anyway - as I said about another kitty, wish I was closer!!! IU hate to see those poor babies outside in the cold tho am glad they have you as their kitty angel.

Last edited by CyberKitten; February 1st, 2006 at 04:54 PM.