Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:29 PM

Joint supplement question

hi all,
i'm new to this forum and came here looking for some advice.
i've had my chocolate lab Lily on a raw food diet for over half a year now and would like to include a joint supplement. i've narrowed it down to two products that seem to fit what i'm looking for:

BiologicVET BioJOINT
WellyTails Cartilage, Hip & Joint

i haven't found too many reviews on either product, more so with the WellyTails. so my question to everyone here is, have you used or are you using either of these supplements? do you recommend one over the other or recommend another product all together?

any information will be greatly appreciated, and if there's an existing thread on the subject (i've searched and couldn't find the answers i'm looking for) please direct me where to go

hope to learn from everyone here to ensure my Lily lives a long and joyful life and share mine and her experiences with you all
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I just googled that. It's said to be for dogs who already have damage so may be too strong, or not necessary, for one where it's only needed as a preventative. I could not find the amounts of each ingredient listed.

IMO they have listed chondrotin twice as it is derived from shark cartilege. They say it is from sharks harvested for their meat but I am personally reluctant to use any product with shark cartilege in it due to the threat of endangerment of some shark species. This ingredient is easily available from other more easily checked sources like chicken.

Personally, for my Lab, I use a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM tablet sold for human consumption, 500/400/400, with the blessing of my Vet and take the same one ourselves. I buy whatever is on sale. Cannot give you reports with this dog but with our last Lab girl, who did have arthritis in her later years, a missed dose (2xdaily) was apparent.
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

BiologicVET BioJOINT I use this one for Clark and used it as well with Buddy. I like it and seems to help Clark gets a little stiff in the back end sometimes. I make it into gravy with warm water he loves it.
PS when there is a Woofstock or pet fair they usually have a 2 for 1 special so I buy a years supply then.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM

thanks for the feedback.
i was wary too when i saw shark cartilage as an ingredient...i find the shark for food thing a sensitive issue.

i've been told that biologic has been around much longer, so i think i'll go with the product with more "experience in the field" at this point.
but i will look into the human consumption option as well...that could kill two birds with one stone since i have a couple knee issues myself.

and thanks for the tip on Woofstock...will def check it out next time around.

appreciate the help and if others have any more input, feel free to chime in!
Old February 27th, 2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I just googled that. It's said to be for dogs who already have damage so may be too strong, or not necessary, for one where it's only needed as a preventative. I could not find the amounts of each ingredient listed.

IMO they have listed chondrotin twice as it is derived from shark cartilege. They say it is from sharks harvested for their meat but I am personally reluctant to use any product with shark cartilege in it due to the threat of endangerment of some shark species. This ingredient is easily available from other more easily checked sources like chicken.

Personally, for my Lab, I use a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM tablet sold for human consumption, 500/400/400, with the blessing of my Vet and take the same one ourselves. I buy whatever is on sale. Cannot give you reports with this dog but with our last Lab girl, who did have arthritis in her later years, a missed dose (2xdaily) was apparent.
I concur with the human supplement varieties. I use a Webber 1200 mg capsule every day for both my pooch and myself. Just open the capsule and sprinkle it on the dog's food. I did it with my late lamented Golden who came from a bloodline that had severe hip problems (thankfully there is no further issue from this bloodline). I gave her two capsules every day and she lived for 13 years with absolutely no arthritic problems - the only one in this line that I know about that didn't need to be put down early or have surgery for this reason.

Tags
biologic, joint, supplement, wellytails