Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM

Advice wanted about introducing our dogs to a Bluetick Coonhound

Hello! Our family is looking to adopt a male Bluetick Coonhound from a local shelter. He has been wonderful but now it's time for him to meet our dogs.

I was hoping someone out there is an experienced Bluetick Coonhound owner who could help up with some tips, specific to his breed, to help with introductions. The shelter has told us that he got a bit aggressive with another male dog his own size but has been fine with smaller dogs. We have a 75lb. female Black Lab named Luna and an 8lb. male Pomeranian named Koti.

I've read as much as I can about the breed and learned they enjoy the company of other dogs as well as their humans but introductions can sometimes be difficult.

Please help with any advice you can as the poor boy is so depressed with his shelter life. He has been there since October last year and is now refusing to eat We really want it to work out so we can get him home, happy, and healthy!

Thanks in advance!

This is him
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

He is absolutely stunning I am not the best at giving advice on introductions, but there are a lot of experienced people on this forum. Where is everybody????? Great that your giving him a chance, I know it will take time and patience.
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:29 PM

Thanks! I did get in touch with a Bluetick Coonhound rescue in Ontario who has been kind enough to give me some advice. We get to introduce our dogs to him on Monday Super excited but wish it was sooner!
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Gorgeous dog.
The key to success is the introduction. If you are going through a rescue, they will provide you with alot of information on how to do this. I recommend you bring your dog with you but leave him/her in the car until they set up the proper scenario and instructions. I am sure that they will support you as it is in their best interest as well as the dogs.

Best of luck.
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:22 AM

I also have questions about "introductions".

We have a dominant female beagle/walker hound mix (~50lbs) and are wanting to adopt a male dog (lab or other similar size mix).

Our hound doesn't really care for most other dogs. Lots of our friends have dogs of all sizes and genders (collie, Boston terriers, labs, etc). At best she just tolerates the other dogs and at worst has given warning snaps to some of the female labs.

HOWEVER, for some unknown reason, sometimes, she'll meet a dog she LOVES. There is some male mix (retriever/shepard?) about her size down the street from us that she absolutely adores! She turns into a puppy around him and could play for hours. I have NO idea how she chooses...

Are there any good ways to introduce her to the dog we want to adopt? (Unfortunately for us, the dog down the street already has a loving family, hehe). If we set up a meeting and it appears that she doesn't love the new dog, can we expect that over time they'll become friends?

Any advice appreciated!

Tags
advice, bluetick, coonhound, introduction