Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Lab goes crazy when someone comes to the house

Our 5 year old lab goes completely nuts when someone comes up the drive way. She barks and when I try to open the door she is frantic to get out, pulling, jumping, pushing her way through the door. If I try to pull her back she either pushes me out of the way ( she is over 85lbs) or gets loose from her collar and she will run toward who ever is there, barking with her fur up, then pick up a stick for them to play with her. She is very friendly and I don't think she would hurt anyone, besides giving them a heart attack when she charges them.
She is a great friend and mentor to our young lab but I certainly don't want the baby to pick up her terrible habit. I really don't know who to cure her of this unacceptable behavior and any advice is appreciated
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM

We have a 3 1//2 year old yellow Lab. She's a rescue so we really don't know her history. She was doing the exact same thing when anyone came to the door. That, and other alpha behavior.

On day I was thinking, hmmm wonder how she'd react to a spray bottle of water. So one day I took the bottle, sneaked around to the front door and rang the bell. She went nuts of course. I threw open the door and sprayed her full in the face. She took off and hid in the bedroom.

Since then we always keep a spray bottle by the front door. When someone comes we just point they spray bottle at her and she won't come come within 10 feet of the door.

We also enlisted the help of friends and neighbors. I would meet them outside and give them the spray bottle. They would ring the bell and when my wife opened the door they would zap our dog with water.

Now, the dog thinks that if she goes to the door she'll get sprayed.

Problem solved
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I think we all have different views of training, YOU need to find what works for you. I personally have to disagree firmly with spraying an animal to keep undesired behavior at bay.

The first thing you need to recognize is that barking when someone is approaching your home is a very, very natural thing for a dog to do. She's warning you that someone is coming, and warning them that they are on her turf.
I know I wouldn't like water thrown in my face if I was trying to explain something to someone; I certainly wouldn't reccomend doing this to your dog either.
I personally am GLAD that my dogs bark when someone comes. Its their way of warning the entire family. But I also expect them to be respectful of guests, of myself, and *stop* barking when I tell them thankyou.

Has your lab mastered the sit/stay command? Does she have a bed, or a spot she can sit on (a specific rug or blanket) that you can direct her to when someone is coming?

It also sounds like her collar is either too loose, or you need to invest in a different style like a martingale. When a dog slips out of a collar, this is entirely dangerous for the dog and everyone involved.

The second thing you want to do is practice through the day ensuring that she realizes that the door is YOUR space and not hers. Try to map out a little area around the door that she's never allowed to walk into unless you ask her too. Whenever anyone in your family notices that she's lingering in your front entrance, or going to the door, make sure someone tells her to get back and away from the door - even blocking her with their body.
It's important for her to understand that the door is not something she can barge - regardless of whether or not someone is there.

It will take patience and consistancy, but if you give her a few firm rules and expectations, this is something that can be overcome.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
The first thing you need to recognize is that barking when someone is approaching your home is a very, very natural thing for a dog to do. She's warning you that someone is coming, and warning them that they are on her turf.
I know I wouldn't like water thrown in my face if I was trying to explain something to someone; I certainly wouldn't reccomend doing this to your dog either.
I personally am GLAD that my dogs bark when someone comes. Its their way of warning the entire family. But I also expect them to be respectful of guests, of myself, and *stop* barking when I tell them thankyou.

Has your lab mastered the sit/stay command? Does she have a bed, or a spot she can sit on (a specific rug or blanket) that you can direct her to when someone is coming?
I most certainly agree with Bailey.

Here's a wonderful way to teach your dogs the "place" or "bed" cue that doesn't use aversives and can be lots of fun to practice. You can replace a clicker by using a verbal "yes" or "great."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQzXd...eature=related

Start working with each dog separately. The more you practice, the quicker they'll get it. Once they've got it without distractions, have friends/family help you out by coming to the door. You can also put up a sign by your front entrance, "Please be patient, dogs in training" so visitors don't ring the bell or knock repeatedly.
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:24 PM
-

I knew LP was going to answer this post

Pennyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Doggie Wench

Oh, and if you have friends like Frenchy who get down on the floor and talk high pitched and excitedly to your dogs while tickling their belies....umm, the exercises won't work .
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:30 PM

Your pup sounds like my little guy.

I point to the living room bay window (where he first sees the person approaching the door) and that's where he goes when I open the door. This training was kind of accidentally-on-purpose; he likes pretending he's a big guard doggie when he's at the window (he's a sweet little twerp in person) so redirecting back to the window when I open the door seems to work for both of us.

Once the person comes in the house however, Buddy does make demands for attention, which is still a problem (for the person, not for Buddy ).

Tags
barking, charging, pusning, unacceptiable behaviour