Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:43 PM

Exclamation dog bleeds when bathing

My dog has a flea problem and I belive that this issue is from fleas but I want to know what is happening to make this happen. When I give my dog a bath he seems to bleed from his back and right above his tail on his ass end. We will put just a little water on his back and comb it down to his skin and the water will drip down to the floor and it is bright red like blood. It seems like there is more liquid (blood) dripping off of him then we put on him. It seems like when we put the water on him it starts the bleeding. The water will clear up after a while and runn clear but its alot of rinseing. I have soaked his hair down and combed it up to see his skin and I see nothing. His skin looks a pale white with no scabs or cuts. His skins looks normal and healthy. What would cause this and what can I do to prevent this? This issue doesn't seem to bother the dog but he does have a real, real (bark at you when you stop and beg untill you continue) obsession with having his ass scratched. He cannot reach the areas that the blood is coming from with his mouth or his feet so he is not scratching or biting is own skin../// !!!!!!! I am clueless someone please help me!!!!!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

The residue on your dog which is turning the water red, if there really isn't any skin problems, is likely from the fleas. One way to check for fleas, for example, is to brush a dog over white paper and then add a bit of water to look for red spots left on the paper. The lower back, near the tail, is also a hot spot for fleas.

Honestly though, I've only heard of water turning red in this manner from really sever fleas infestations. If you're not already, you'll want to get a handle on this both by treating the dog and dealing with the flea population in your house.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM

I have dipped and sprayed him and gotten rid of most the fleas. He is not really infested nor is the house. That's what I don't understand. do the fleas bore into the skin and leave an open wound persay that would bleed. The blood is bright red like it is fresh. would the fleas be bored into the hide and when we put the shampoo or flea spray on they come loose causeing the bleeding.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM

fleas fecies contain blood so basically it's the fecies that make the water red. and i'm afraid it's not enough to get rid of "most", one flea lies 600-2000 eggs so in no time you have the problem back. There are many spot-ons which kill fleas in all stages, eggs laso.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
~Cat Servent~

And although you don't see them in your house, if you haven't vigilantly cleaned or sprayed, they are there, the eggs can stay up to 7 months and then hatch (behind baseboards...everywhere), and the problem starts all over again. I used a spray called Siphotrol from VetChem... worked great, now I spray every spring and fall at least by the doors as my guys are indoor only as a preventative measure. When we had an issue though, the were given revolution every month for 6 months too. I wanted to make sure we got em all! Stupid little buggers!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I would also check to see if he has an allergy to the flea stuff your using. I think some dogs and cats react that way with it if they allergic.

Have you been to a vet? perhaps your not killing all the fleas??

GOod Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
I'm a softy

we have treated many dogs with flea problems, and when there are fleas it was common for us to see that when we washed them. the water always ran for a long time red reddish brown.. I would go get a treatment to take care of them, and if that does not fix it, get the vet to check out why your dog is so itchy back there. does he chew and scratch at himself a lot? have you had the vet check him recently? good lulck I hope you find answers for the poor guy, how misserable..!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

If you are giving him an over-the-counter flea remedy, forget it. If they work, it is only temporary, and sometimes they don't work at all. The vet has the medications you need, one or two doses spaced a month apart will do the trick (aside from cleaning your house, thoroughly, as above).

With that amount of flea 'waste', your dog must be really suffering, I hope you can get him to the vet soon. I wouldn't give him any more baths either, it will dry out his skin and may even make the itching worse.
Old February 18th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Neo+cats

When I lived in France we used to be able to buy "bombs" ... flea/insect/bug spray cans we simply set off in a closed room, leaving for 2-4 hoyrs depending on the brand, and all pesky pests would be dead, no matter where they were hiding. I used them twice a year. It was just regular bug spray, but the spray-top locked into open position and spread a fog which would cover a certain area.

I don't think this is available in Canada though

However, I got bedbugs after a moving company wrapped my furniture in the blankets they use for every customer (and obviously don't wash between each move, I don't care what they claimed when I told them!). A friend at a natural remedies store sold me three bottles of essential oils to sorinkle 3 times a day, 7 drops of each, onto the couch, bed, in the closet, across the floors ... tea tree, lavender and verveine oils. I mixed these in my bath water too, to be sure, and it took away the itch!

So, now I use this a few times a year, whether I know of an issue or not. It can't hurt anyway.