Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Best way to move the cats?

I'm going to be moving the boys to Alabama from Florida in two weeks. Mako rides well in his carrier, but Foose just cries (more like Screams) the whole time....and the longest trip they've been on was about 15mins...
Whats the best way to move them? Would it be easier on them to let them just ride in the car? Or to keep them in their carriers? I dont want them to be TRAUMATIZED by the trip... But I'm also kind of against sedating them.
Also, since they've never been in the car this long, should I have the litter box on the floor for if they need to use it? The trip is only about 5 and a half hours long....
Do I feed them before I go? Can kitties get car sick?
Any ideas would be great!
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

We have driven across Canada three times with cats, lol. Lots of fun.

I would NOT sedate them, I think it makes it much worse on them. If you can keep them in the carrier while you are diving, that is the safest. Our cats have never used the litter pan while in the car as they were much to stressed, but we carried one just in case. We could not crate Snowball, so we did let him roam while we were driving. He would take an absolute fit in the carrier to the point his nose would be bleeding :sad:. We had to be extremely careful when the doors were being opened and usually one of us stayed in the car to hold him while the other got out.
I don't feed my cats before a car ride, I find it makes them nauseated more.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:40 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Just an added thought to L4H's advice. Maybe cover the carrier with a blanket or towel that smells of "home". It may help calm your fretful passenger. Most definitely on a trip of that length keep them in the carrier. You don't want to chance an escape when you stop for potty breaks along the way. (I'm talking potty breaks for humans, not kitties. ) Don't feed kitties before moving them. It does tend to make them nauseous which just leads to more stress for them.
Good luck on the move.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Thanks guys!
Mako does really good... he just chills in his carrier...(insert Bong smiley here, we call him Mako the Bakedo since he enjoys his kitty nip so much!)
Foose... literally cries the entire time...
I'm definitely going to try covering his carrier! I am soooo not looking forward to 5 and a half hours in the car with them, (AND Patrón) in the back of the CRV...thankfully I have that barrier thing that blocks the way back so Patrón cant pester the kitties at all!
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If your cats do not get physical (Snowball would literally smash his face in the carrier door) in the carrier while riding in the car, then I would keep them in the carrier. I love 14+'s idea of putting a towel or blanket with their scent on it

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Leave them in the carrier. If you let them loose all it takes is someone forgetting and opening a window or door and that will be the last time you see your cats.

Bite the bullet, see your Vet and get some meds to keep them calm.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
Leave them in the carrier. If you let them loose all it takes is someone forgetting and opening a window or door and that will be the last time you see your cats.

Bite the bullet, see your Vet and get some meds to keep them calm.
Meds should not be given to cats lightly. I found when I sedated one of my cats when I travelled from Winnipeg to Kingston, it made him more stressed. I would never, never do it again.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 13th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

this is a really interesting topic!!

I had the same problem when I drove my cats to guelph. Onnie, on the 5 minute ride to the vet, usually starts panting and meows (screams). Bunduk is calmer when Onnie isn't there.

When I went to gueplh tho it was horrible....he was panting soooo hard non stop, threw up twice. I didnt withhold food though. On the way back the boarding place withheld food...but then he pooped himself :sad:

I was really hoping to try sedation, Im so scared for him when he pants soooo much and gets himself in a frenzy. My other cat before was fine, even when drove to toronto (further than guelph), he would just pant a bit.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Ironically, when we adopted both boys they didnt make a peep in the car on way home. It seems like now that they know us they freak out more!

Old January 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

All cats react to stress in different ways, just like humans. I don't think doping a cat up for that long will do the cat any good. I can deal with a little mess at the end of a long trip. Not so sure I want to deal with a kitty who is doped. They can be very unpredictable.

The kitty is going to be stressed at the end of the trip too when he gets to his new home. Have you made plans as to what you are doing when you get there ABM? The best you can do for your kitties is to have a quiet room set up for them where they can chill for a few days. Let them get used to their new surroundings (the room) for a while before you let them out into the rest of your new home. Have all of their familiar things there. Litter boxes, toys, blankets, etc.

And please, do not let them outside. The first thing they will do is take off to find their "home", which to them is Florida.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:00 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Ironically, when we adopted both boys they didnt make a peep in the car on way home. It seems like now that they know us they freak out more!
That's cause they love you more. When you first adopted them they weren't sure where/what was going to happen to them. Now they know you and love you. They don't want to be dumped somewhere. Oh, if we could read a cat's mind. How/what do they think when we take them to the car, go for a drive to a place where they get poked, prodded, picked at, or left for an extended time? I don't blame them for panicking.

Old January 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I see what u mean 14+, I dont mind the clean up and , as much as it pains me, I can handle the panting and the screams.

I just literally fear for their lives..like is Onnie gonna have a heartache? hyperventilating for an hour plus scares me.

ABM, I read somewhere here that keeping them in the front helps with the motion sickness. I think it was Aslan who siad that? In relation to dogs but I think the same principle would apply..

Old January 13th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
That's cause they love you more. When you first adopted them they weren't sure where/what was going to happen to them. Now they know you and love you. They don't want to be dumped somewhere. Oh, if we could read a cat's mind. How/what do they think when we take them to the car, go for a drive to a place where they get poked, prodded, picked at, or left for an extended time? I don't blame them for panicking.
aww...that makes sense, ure right.

Old January 13th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

A safer option for cats than drugs is perhaps trying some flower essences like Rescue Remedy, or maybe the calming pheromones of Feliway spray. It may not totally mellow them out, but it could take the edge off and help them to recover from the whole experience faster.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
I see what u mean 14+, I dont mind the clean up and , as much as it pains me, I can handle the panting and the screams.

I just literally fear for their lives..like is Onnie gonna have a heartache? hyperventilating for an hour plus scares me.

ABM, I read somewhere here that keeping them in the front helps with the motion sickness. I think it was Aslan who siad that? In relation to dogs but I think the same principle would apply..

I know it sounds horrible. I hate to hear it too. In all the kitties I have taken to TO for s/n I have only had 3 that made a ruckus. 2 or them were ferals that I had trapped. They were in the car an hour and a half one way, usually 2+ hours on the way back because of traffic. The constant meowing and fretfullness was more upsetting to us than to them I think.
I don't think Onnie would have a heart attack. He's just wondering what's going on. What does Frenchy always say? Talk to them, let them know what's happening, be calm. I think that goes a long long way to a happy trip. Kitties pick up on our stress so easily.

Old January 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
All cats react to stress in different ways, just like humans. I don't think doping a cat up for that long will do the cat any good. I can deal with a little mess at the end of a long trip. Not so sure I want to deal with a kitty who is doped. They can be very unpredictable.

The kitty is going to be stressed at the end of the trip too when he gets to his new home. Have you made plans as to what you are doing when you get there ABM? The best you can do for your kitties is to have a quiet room set up for them where they can chill for a few days. Let them get used to their new surroundings (the room) for a while before you let them out into the rest of your new home. Have all of their familiar things there. Litter boxes, toys, blankets, etc.

And please, do not let them outside. The first thing they will do is take off to find their "home", which to them is Florida.
Great forethought to the "after the drive" . Yes very important that the kitties get some security at their new home to reduce the time the kitties are under stress.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)