Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old February 13th, 2011, 03:31 PM
banned user

What do you recommand for sugar substitute

I was diagnosed as borderline diabetic about 6 months ago...I've been using Sugartwin and/or Splenda as a replacement in my coffee. I've noticed some side effects (stomach) that goes away if I stop taking it for a week...and since most of the artificial sweeteners are not too good for our health, I am looking for a more natural replacement that won't sent my sugar level skyhigh.

I've tried Stevia but I'm not crazy about the taste...Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I guess the brown raw sugar is out of the question for you? my DH uses this now and only uses a teeny bit of the package? me I'm a double double kinda gal! I dont care for the taste of the sweeteners either

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I have not tried this but my Mom uses it, Agave, supposed to be good for you. patti
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
I have not tried this but my Mom uses it, Agave, supposed to be good for you. patti
Looked it up...still a sugar product. Can't have any and I'm addicted to my sweet coffees..
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:00 PM

My dad uses a product that is called "Just like Sugar" maybe it would be good for you, my dad is not diabetic though. It is suppose to be non chemical and natural. Remember most local health food stores will evaluate and order a product if they feel it suits their store policies, or you can get it online. It's also Canadian.
Also remember if you have dogs some sugar free products contain Xylitol which is poisonous to dogs and care must be taken they do not eat anything containing the product.

oh look they have a website http://www.justlikesugar.ca/
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
Also remember if you have dogs some sugar free products contain Xylitol which is poisonous to dogs and care must be take they do not eat anything containing the product.
Well aware of that one....Chewing gum as an example...or any alcohol based sugars.
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:09 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
oh look they have a website http://www.justlikesugar.ca/
Thanks for the link...I found some info on the product and it looks like it will fit the bill...
Old February 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Stevia tastes like sugar all natural you can buy it at Bulk Barn or health food stores
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm diabetic, but I'm also a cancer survivor so artificial sweeteners scare the daylights out of me. I do use agave and I've been fine with that. Also Sucanat and organic cane juice crystals. These are not as processed as refined white sugar and so they are more easily assimilated in the body. Maple syrup is grea too but it has to be real maple syrup, not maple flavored stuff.

At least that's what I've found. Everyone is different. My brother, who is also diabetic, can handle starches better than sugar but he hasn't tried these more natural forms.

I, on the other hand, can NOT eat most starches with the exception of grains. Potatoes spike my sugar like you wouldn't believe.

What's been great for me is eating many small meals throughout the day and cutting back on sweeteners of all kinds until I could enjoy my tea without anything in it. I do enjoy the clestial seasonings apple cinnamon tea. If it steeps a long while it's very sweet without adding anything.
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Stevia is wonderful stuff! You can buy it most anywhere now, but it used to be just healthfood stores

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:33 PM
~Cat Servent~

I have been diabetic for over 5 years, 3 of those on insulin. I have tried a lot of the sweetners over the years and find that Splenda is still best for baking with and one called Truvia is my favorite for sweetening coffee/tea etc, it's made from stevia but I found that stevia from the health food store had a weird aftertaste and Truvia doesn't. The things that I cut out of my diet or really watch my portion sizes on are grains, fruits and starches...they are the quickest to spike your sugars. I do buy sugar free products at stores too, I know they aren't the best because of the artificial sweeteners, but especially after this surgery, some of the only things I can eat are sugar free jello and pudding.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M