Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I'm a softy

crazy scary scottie dog

So I shall tell you all the story that happened to me the beginning of february.. I was attacked by a scottie dog.. Yup! Not a pitbull, had it been a pitbull I am sure it would have been front page news grrr, but alas it was a scottish terror so no headlines for me. I was alking my shih tzu with my oldest, she is 11, in our neighborhood and out of no where comes a little black scraggly looking dog he stopped by the stop sign looked at us, then came over, I was thinkin he was going to sniff my dog so no big deal, nope, he started a run about 15 feet away and like a flash was attached to my free hand, anything I moved he bit, so he got my other hand also, his owner came out, so that distracted him long enough to attack her hands also, he charged her got her hand in his mouth and shook it, I took the leash of my dog and had my daughter hole him, I made a noose thing and attempted to get it around the dogs neck, this got me bit another time but not as bad, at least then I was able to keep the dog off of people, the owner was in shock, I gave her her dog and she left, and we went home to try and clean my hands and arm, a couple bites were real bad, and were weeping clear fluid and ohh the pain, so my daughter and I went to the hospital.. There it was decided I needed surgery on my finger, the dog when he bit bit hard and shook and ripped my finger to the bone and through the nerves, my right index finger and the fatty part by your thumd got the worst.. Many stitches later, the swelling got so bad the had to be removed, I had to go to the doctor every second day for dressing changes, now finally, its all better, there are very noticible scars though on both hands and my finger may never be the same. Animal control went looking for the dog and couldn't find it, so the medical officer of health determind considering the nature of the unprovoked attack I need to get rabies shots, 4 in my legs of anibody serum and 5 of the vaccine in my arms, on day 1, 3, 7, 14 and 21, also got a tetnus shot... I would have got some info from the lady but with the shock amd pain you just don't think, of coarse this is the quick version, but seriously the dog just charged and attacked my hand so fast, it was a shock, I happened so fast I wasn't even watching the dog and all of a sudden it was on me. I don't know where the owner lady came from she seemed to just appear, but the dog went just as savage on her. All the nurses at the hospital came into my room, they heard about the nasty bites and wanted to see, some of the worst dog damage to hands they had seen I was told. So that's my story

It wasn't my daughter so that's what matters, I'm not angry at all about it, just wish we could have found the dog to see if it did have its shots and to be looked at after, as t may be dangerous. The thing that makes me the most mad though is this is proof of how dog attacks get no attention unless its a pitbull, ill bet my house that had it been a pittie it would have been told in the news! But a little black terror dog and life goes on, soooo messed up!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Holy crap . I am so glad it wasn't any worse . You are so right about the pitbull thing. Had it be one, you would have made national news

Sent you a pm

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

What a thing to have happen to you.not finding the dog do think it could have been visiting the area.
Old April 17th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

OMD,how terrible and you are certainly right about the Pit-Bull thing.
I beleive the owner probably had the dog put down and that's why you cannot find it.
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's very scary, LML! So glad you're on the mend I wonder if the woman didn't need medical care as well? Are dog bites treated at the hospital reported, do you know?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; April 17th, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:40 PM

This is crazzzzzy,I had a dog attack Lola yesterday that was off leash and everything. It was a little mutt as well. My post of it is in the "Pitbull Attack In Ottawa" thread if your interested to read. I got the owners address and name,even asked for proof from a license. Ill be reporting her if her dog is off leash again and or attacks another dog or person,I explained this to her as well.It is not right for such attacks to go unnoticed while they solidify their biased view on pitbulls.
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM
-

All dogs bite. Plain and simple.

What is wrong in this situation is we don't know why. Is it a sick dog, an irresponsible owner or a combination of both? We'll never know...because the "irresponsible owner" ran away and the "irresponsible" animal services staff couldn't or wouldn't track them down. Were the dog a large breed such as a GSD or a 'muscular-jawed' breed such as a Cattle Dog or a similar mutt-version such as a Pitbull have been treated differently? Yep. You bet. They would have been hunted down with every resource the city had. Headlines = money in the budget.

Pitbulls in the news? Always and forever until we make the change.

It's up to us to change the perception. It shouldn't be the case but apparently it is~ up to us to ensure that Animal Services are JUST as vigilant in tracking down errant dogs and their owners. There's no headline in a Scottie bite.

My experience with a dog bite and Animal Services in Toronto was more than frustrating. And I knew, as did Public Health and Animal Service where the lived. Yet, I came within minutes of a needle(s) because of THEIR inactivity and their collective poor management of the situation. What would have happened to someone who isn't able to or doesn't have the resources to navigate City service or perhaps worse, a less than vigilant GP?

I'm still wondering whether Animal Services should be removed from the City. Alternatives? Not too crazy about the OSPCA either.

On the MAIN note...wow LMP. What a horrible thing to have happened to you, your daughter and your dog.

It's hard not to develop a prejudice against little dogs with major, untrained/unsocialized 'tude and their "little-dog-attacking-oh-isn't that-cutesy-wootsey" people. I know it's something I struggle with...
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:16 PM

That is just awful, LML. I've always believed little dogs were the bitiest. Why? Ill-informed owners never correct them because they're little and harmless. Harmless, my ass. And your fingers!
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM

Terriers tend to have a more "snap snap snap" and shake type of bite, Pit's being terriers have this tendency and also the tendency to hold on and shake, combined with powerful jaws this causes a lot of tissue damage with puncture and tearing.
I am surprised you kept your cool, I can't say I wouldn't have simply reacted and kicked the poor dog. Bad I know but a reaction is a reaction in the face of danger. Did anything happen to the owner/dog? it doesn't sound like this dog was well, I would have wanted it euthanized. If it was my dog I would have euthanized it (it would be completely out of character for my dog so he would probably have to be sick to act this way), my tolerance is low on aggression ESPECIALLY unprovoked.
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
Terriers tend to have a more "snap snap snap" and shake type of bite, Pit's being terriers have this tendency and also the tendency to hold on and shake, combined with powerful jaws this causes a lot of tissue damage with puncture and tearing.
I really hope this is not one sided to "muscular mouthed dogs" it does not need to have "big powerful jaws" to tear tissue or muscles,nerves,tendons. This case is a perfect example,look at the jaw structure of a scottish terrier. It is not thick bone,or thich muscles. Exact opposite almost. The main cause of that damage is caused most of the time with the k9 tooth/teeth,and in some cases the dogs ability to have "lock jaw" are a result too. These tend to be smaller and pointier as well in smaller breeds of dogs. Science proves smaller surface area is more likely to puncture or break then with a thicker surface area.Therefore it is also going to be more likely to tear and damage any body tissue.
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:27 PM

I am so sorry this happened to you. Permanent hand damage, surgery, rabies shots and having your child witness this. This is my breed and an attack like this is hard for me to read about. I have a true passion for these dogs, but there are bad ones. A Scottie with a nasty temperament is a horrible dog. While I want to think maybe this dog was sick, I know that some are just mean, nasty biters. Yes, the dog may be small (18-24 pounds typically), but these are fierce dogs with mouths that are huge for their bodies. My first Scottie was a large boy (30 pounds) and my vet always said he had the mouth and teeth of a German Shepherd. These dogs were bred to take on foxes and badgers inside the underground dens. Scotties are very strong dogs and dogs that when they start something will do everything in their power to finish it.

I am sorry that the owner was attacked too, but it was highly irresponsible to have this dog unleashed, so she does bear responsibility. It breaks my heart that you had to experience this breed at its worse. And it angers me that the owner didn't attempt to do the right things and provide the dog's medical records, and assume responsibility for your medical expenses. Sadly, you will have both physical and mental scars from this.

I love Scotties, but never forget the power and potential damage these jaws can give.
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
I am so sorry this happened to you. Permanent hand damage, surgery, rabies shots and having your child witness this. This is my breed and an attack like this is hard for me to read about. I have a true passion for these dogs, but there are bad ones. A Scottie with a nasty temperament is a horrible dog. While I want to think maybe this dog was sick, I know that some are just mean, nasty biters. Yes, the dog may be small (18-24 pounds typically), but these are fierce dogs with mouths that are huge for their bodies. My first Scottie was a large boy (30 pounds) and my vet always said he had the mouth and teeth of a German Shepherd. These dogs were bred to take on foxes and badgers inside the underground dens. Scotties are very strong dogs and dogs that when they start something will do everything in their power to finish it.

I am sorry that the owner was attacked too, but it was highly irresponsible to have this dog unleashed, so she does bear responsibility. It breaks my heart that you had to experience this breed at its worse. And it angers me that the owner didn't attempt to do the right things and provide the dog's medical records, and assume responsibility for your medical expenses. Sadly, you will have both physical and mental scars from this.

I love Scotties, but never forget the power and potential damage these jaws can give.
Dont get me wrong not putting down the breed,they are fierce.The dog could have also been lost or in a panic and acting irrationally(COULD HAVE).I believe it is not the dogs fault,had it of been leashed it would have been a controlled situation. Yes their jaws along with all terriers are well developed for their structures. ITs too bad it went this far.
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I'm a softy

Thanks
The aco has tried very very hard to track down this dog, what we believe is it has been sent to a farm. Yes the hospital does report dog bites, in fact I was surprised at what a big deal it seemed to be.. Sadly yes these dogs do have quite the mouth lol my left hand has a 2 inch scar not so bad, my right hand though has nerve damage, many large scars, and this weird buildup of hard callouse like skin.. I have no anger toward the dog whatsoever, I have yet to see this woman again. But yes it shouldn't have been loose, even then accidents happen, they are dogs, all I wish for is that they reported their end, provided shots records at least, and made me feel that the dog was going to be kept in a safe manner.. IF it was illness free... I groom dogs, I've been bit before lol, but this was not just a bite, so hard to descibe how vicious, and intense it was, he would have my hand and bit so hard and shook tearing everything, each bite wasn't a tooth mark but an inch or two long gash, the ones on my finger right to the bone..
The whole time though I was thinking had this been a 'dangerous' breed... Perhaps I should start campaigning to ban scotties? Or all terriers? (That is a JOKE) ban the damn idiot humans please
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
Thanks
The aco has tried very very hard to track down this dog, what we believe is it has been sent to a farm. Yes the hospital does report dog bites, in fact I was surprised at what a big deal it seemed to be.. Sadly yes these dogs do have quite the mouth lol my left hand has a 2 inch scar not so bad, my right hand though has nerve damage, many large scars, and this weird buildup of hard callouse like skin.. I have no anger toward the dog whatsoever, I have yet to see this woman again. But yes it shouldn't have been loose, even then accidents happen, they are dogs, all I wish for is that they reported their end, provided shots records at least, and made me feel that the dog was going to be kept in a safe manner.. IF it was illness free... I groom dogs, I've been bit before lol, but this was not just a bite, so hard to descibe how vicious, and intense it was, he would have my hand and bit so hard and shook tearing everything, each bite wasn't a tooth mark but an inch or two long gash, the ones on my finger right to the bone..
The whole time though I was thinking had this been a 'dangerous' breed... Perhaps I should start campaigning to ban scotties? Or all terriers? (That is a JOKE) ban the damn idiot humans please
I wish the fastest recovery possible.Might not even have the damage,hard to tell untill its healed,takes forever. Ive got some in my right arm that prevents me from putting all my fingers together,I make a lazy spok salute,my pinky and ring finger stay out.Wasnt as bad as they thought it would be. I appreciate your respectful mannor in dealing with the results. Takes a real person to not blame the dog,or owner,and even joke about it. The most I would do is try to find a localized newspaper that will run an article like this case and mention the breed of dog when its not a pitbull or type dog and bring some awareness publicly. In most cases the breed is never mentioned in articles and if it is,its only a couple articles later that it is softly mentioned. I even seen one case where they said it was a black and tan colored dog that attacked(it was an obvious german sheapard purebred) Not cool. I just hope people will realise and educate to the best of the abilities. Again great way you handled it,and contained the situation. You deserve a pat on the back.
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Senior Contributor

No, perhaps you should have asked them to make it a story though so people could see the damage a smaller dog can still do? ScottieDog is responsible just in admitting what they are capable of. A friend's son went to play with friends of his that had a cattle dog and he got badly mauled, dragged around the yard by this dog in fact, and his injuries were so bad that a policeman who called in while they were treating them was nearly sick. Stupid idiot owners should not have left the dog loose unsupervised with visiting children who were bound to get excited when playing. Anyway, you have to admit to what your breed can do, they're dogs bred for purposes other than what most people have them for.
So sorry to learn there was such nasty injuries to your hands lUvMyLaB, I hope the nerve damage improves with time.
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon W View Post
Dont get me wrong not putting down the breed,they are fierce.The dog could have also been lost or in a panic and acting irrationally(COULD HAVE).I believe it is not the dogs fault,had it of been leashed it would have been a controlled situation. Yes their jaws along with all terriers are well developed for their structures. ITs too bad it went this far.
Brandon W, my post was in no way intended to contradict your information, it just happened to post below yours. If I wrote anything that offended you, it was not intentional and I'm sorry. I do agree with what you wrote. Scotties don't have the strongest jaws in the dog world, but for their size, they are powerful and the teeth larger than most dogs of this weight. It is the owner's fault beyond any question. I've seen the ripping power of these jaws directed towards plush squeak toys and it isn't pretty. I don't remember the television show, but a program had a section about Jack Russel terriers as ratters. They showed several JRs in a rat infested barn. The dogs would grab a rat, give one shake, then toss the dead, bloody rat aside. It was fascinatingly gruesome and showed the strength of a dog's bite coupled with the power of the head shaking while holding the prey.

Iluvmylab, I'm glad you don't hold any animosity towards Scotties. Sadly, you will never know what could have provoked the attack (fear from being lost, nasty temper, illness, injured, etc.) I do agree, idiot owners need to be banned. The media only wants to go after certain breeds. From information I've read the Dachshund is the top on the biter list. Had your bite been from one of the persecuted breeds, you would have been on the nightly news.
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
Brandon W, my post was in no way intended to contradict your information, it just happened to post below yours. If I wrote anything that offended you, it was not intentional and I'm sorry. I do agree with what you wrote. Scotties don't have the strongest jaws in the dog world, but for their size, they are powerful and the teeth larger than most dogs of this weight. It is the owner's fault beyond any question. I've seen the ripping power of these jaws directed towards plush squeak toys and it isn't pretty. I don't remember the television show, but a program had a section about Jack Russel terriers as ratters. They showed several JRs in a rat infested barn. The dogs would grab a rat, give one shake, then toss the dead, bloody rat aside. It was fascinatingly gruesome and showed the strength of a dog's bite coupled with the power of the head shaking while holding the prey.

Iluvmylab, I'm glad you don't hold any animosity towards Scotties. Sadly, you will never know what could have provoked the attack (fear from being lost, nasty temper, illness, injured, etc.) I do agree, idiot owners need to be banned. The media only wants to go after certain breeds. From information I've read the Dachshund is the top on the biter list. Had your bite been from one of the persecuted breeds, you would have been on the nightly news.
no no no you never offended me or came of like you were trying to back up scotties or anything.Please do not be sorry thats why I quoted it I was just not sure about the whole comment about muscles and big dogs,it was just worded a little off which is wht i thought you were not intending to do.

P.s there was another attack in Ottawa. This time it was a ****zu at homedepot,it bit a greeter. This was published in the paper second page in with a big pic of her nose. The dog literally got some of her nose,seven stitches. I just want equal conditions for all breeds of dogs which is unrealistic haha. But this makes me happy that it was brought to the publics attention that its a small dog. Not that I do not like them,I find they are given lighter consequences cause they are "tiny and innocent" and thats not fair for other breeds that have been banned.
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon W View Post
This time it was a ****zu at homedepot,it bit a greeter.
OHHHH,those breeds are so dangerous and mean they gotta censor their name !!!!
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
All dogs bite. Plain and simple.
Amen.

Sorry you had to experience that, LML . Hope you heal quickly .