Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM

As I read this thread I get more and more nervous for you. She sounds really stupid but unfortunately stupid people can be dangerous. Have you thought about trying kiiji or craigslist for a second hand fence? I have had good luck with second hand items so it may be worth a try. Freecycle is also a great way to go for fencing (or dear fencing) because sometimes people (especially dog lovers) would rather give that stuff away to someone who needs it rather than sell.

Talking to the police might be best for you and your dogs saftey. Goodluck to you
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW this woman has some serious issues.

I would definately take notes as to what's going on.Either call the station or head to the station and talk to someone at the desk.I suggest your neighbours do the same.As for the copper who just moved in,he may not work out of that station.If calling,you can ask for his name to see if he does.

As for going to his home to talk to him,I'd put that off.

As for being nervous,don't be,they don't bite...

In regards to the restraining order,that doesn't apply to this situation.A restraining order is actually against a spouse(ex or soon to be ex and an abusive one)

You also have what's called a peace bond.But that too wouldn't apply here.

Also,if she were my neighbour,she would have packed up as quick as she moved in.....

Good luck.
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
I have found three other people in the neighbourhood who have had dog issues with my lovely neighbours and they said they would willing to add their stories to mine if I needed them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
I'd get the other neighbours to put in writing and sign what their experiences were with this loon and add it to your stuff.
I agree with aslan...get your stuff all together and present it to a lawyer or the police now, before things get really ugly. Just so they have something in their records about it. Once the trouble really starts, you'll have a harder time fighting it if you're working from square one.

Even if you just take the stuff to the cop in your neighborhood, it would help. If he doesn't cover your area, he'll still be a very credible voice to the authorities if you need one.

And remember, cops put their pants on one leg at a time like everyone else...and they usually have very good social skills.

Good luck with this...neighbor problems can be a b**** :sad:

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks everyone.

Yesterday I was outside playing with Zoe, it was a chilly day and she just loves to go go go. So I was playing fetch and taking some pics and I hear the woman open her bedroom window, it's right next to the property line, and she sits the baby in the window and starts telling him to "woof woof" at the dog. So both her and the baby are woofing at Zoe. I was just thinking how annoying is that, until a friend of mine (thankyou!!) pointed out to me that that it is teasing. My mistake not seeing it for what is was or I would have said something. I was on the lines of she was just bothering me, trying to make me go back inside.

The good thing is Zoe didn't even look over and bother with all the hulla-balloo coming from the window, she just kept playing fetch. So I snapped a few pics and then brought the toy and Zoe inside.

I am going to go to the station on Monday, I have had enough.....well more than enough to tell you the truth. I will go around to my neighbours tomorrow and ask either for them to join me or to please write their stories down. I honestly do believe like some of you have said, It wouldn't matter if I had a fence or not.......she doesn't like dogs.

Thank you all again for your advice and support. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that I get some positive results.

I was going to ask about something another friend had said about, something about an order to keep the peace, but I take it that is what mona_b said wouldn't apply. Thankyou for that info.

As for my silly fear of talking to the police, well I think that stems from thinking my problem is a minor thing. That there are more important things for them to be dealing with than a problem between neighbours. It's beginning to sink in that this problem is only going to escalate, so it is my responsiblity to take the steps to stop it now before anything serious happens. It's not going to magically go away no matter how much I wish it would.

Thanks again for the support!! I will keep you updated!
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Doggie Wench

Do you have a video function on your camera? If so, use it and have Zoe run by the window so you can catch her doing it next time and not make it look so obvious. Actually, leave the camera going when she's outside, just place it on a table or somewhere nearby. If not, have you got a small pocket taperecorder? That ought to come in handy as well.

In the meantime, you can use such incidences as great training opportunities for Zoe. Everytime the neighbor makes an ass of herself, celebrate by giving Zoe very special treats.
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:41 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am so glad you are going to the police! It's the best thing you can do to protect you and Zoe! I would hate to see something happen to that sweet girl because of a of a neighbour!
I think I told you about the one I had. To make it worse I had to work with her on a daily basis! She did everything she could to make my life both at work and at home. Thankfully my super at work figured her out really fast and took my side. At home she had a rottie who had been half a**ed trained as a guard dog which she would release ever time she saw my coming down our shared drive. NOT a good situation. I finally moved but it wasn't because of her.
It won't get any better until something is done to stop her. She will keep on harassing you making it worse.
If you have a camera that is capable of taking videos, use it. Pretend to be taking pics of Zoe and use the video to show her woof woofing at you. She is the one who will look like an idiot and it gives you more to fight back with.
Good luck. I have my fingers crossed she will give up soon and put the house on the market!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:42 PM
chronically insane.

You should have started mooing back at her and see what happens.

P.S. why does THIS come to mind

*I'm allowed to be immature, I'm still a minor

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I have to say these last two events have shown me that as much as she wants to protect the baby, she is willing to use the baby to get a reaction. That is what has me scared.

Like I said the thought of her teaching the baby to tease the dog didn't even register. But thinking after the fact was pointed out to me, ok.....so if baby is outside and starts woofing, and the baby has a sharp peirced woofing noise......maybe Zoe reacts. With what I have seen all this woman would need is Zoe to bark "meanacingly" at her child and poop would hit the fan.

Nope.....I have had enough. I feel stupid for putting Zoe's safetly on the line this long. If you have a problem with me, well that is one thing. You have a problem with my dog.....whole different ball game.
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Good girl!! Go get her!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for positive results!!! At the very least, you'll get something on record about this woman!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
You should have started mooing back at her and see what happens.

P.S. why does THIS come to mind

*I'm allowed to be immature, I'm still a minor
LOL! Kathryn, you are too funny! I was just thinking about it when the pic opened up... What a ! I can't believe that she would teach her baby to tease the dog.
dogcatharmony, why dont you confront her next time she does such thing? and ask her flat out if she actually WANTS her child to get hurt? and if not, bcz thats what she will say, ask her why is she then provoking it?
I am hoping that your police visit will bear fruits, even as preventative measures.
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:45 AM

I hope things work out for you. hang in there.
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
As for my silly fear of talking to the police, well I think that stems from thinking my problem is a minor thing. That there are more important things for them to be dealing with than a problem between neighbours. It's beginning to sink in that this problem is only going to escalate, so it is my responsiblity to take the steps to stop it now before anything serious happens. It's not going to magically go away no matter how much I wish it would.
Minor situations grow into major situations.They deal with matters like this all the time.Trust me...Yours needs to be nipped in the bud now.

When you go Monday,have everything written down.And I mean EVERYTHING.Write down how she doesn't keep an eye on her child and how the child wonders on your property.How she walked up towards you while on your property.And so on.Do you still have the list she gave you?If so,show that also.You also said you sent her a registered letter.I take it you don't have a copy?Do you have a camcorder or video on your cell?This way you can video her teaching the child to tease Zoe.

Also,put up a "beware of dog" sign.As LP stated,it doen't necessarily mean your dog is aggressive.It's just stating that a dog lives there and you are being warned.Put one in the front,side and back of the house..That's where mine are...Heck my dads 80 year old neighbour has a JRT and he has a sign.LOL..To be honest,I think "everyone" with a dog should have one posted.

My suggestion,keep your nose clean.Don't retaliate in any way.This way she has nothing to say against you when the cops show up...

Also,talk to your neighbours.Let them know you are going to the station.Ask if it's ok to mention them in regards to their dealings with this nut job.So then this way the cops can talk to them.This is more of a back up for you.

Also,it wouldn't hurt for the "no trespassing" signs either.

Nope,a peace bond wouldn't work..A peace bond is in order when you have someone who is stalking you,keeps calling,harasses family members ect.There are no cops involed in this one.You go to your JP to obtain one.

Once agin,good luck.........
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:09 AM
-

I think WD has had a peace bond issued about his neighbour and him kicking the fence to antagonize the dogs into barking and then the neighbour calls Animal Control about excessive barking, another
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Hmmmm,I'll wait to see if he answers.But I doubt it was a peace bond.I obtained one a few weeks ago.I won't get into it...But I and the other party BOTH had to apear in front of the JP under oath..And as I said,a peace bond pertains to stalking(this is criminal harrasment),phone calls,threatening harm which includes family members and pets.This from the stalker.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Compromised account

dogcatharmony, any news for us?
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Good for you for going to the cops. Sooner or later this woman is going to escalate the situation to the point of no return. There are lots of people out there who will put themselves or their loved ones at risk just so they can scream victim when they get a reaction. Sounds to me like she's willing to risk her child's safety in order to get her way.
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
Good for you for going to the cops. Sooner or later this woman is going to escalate the situation to the point of no return. There are lots of people out there who will put themselves or their loved ones at risk just so they can scream victim when they get a reaction. Sounds to me like she's willing to risk her child's safety in order to get her way.
Yes, that's how it sounds to me. If Zoe attacks this child, then dogcatharmony may have her dog taken away and this neighbour will have her way.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Magical Mystery Tour

I'm timid of the police too - I think I'm just so scared of an authority figure scolding me or dismissing me as over-reacting. Be strong, dogcatharmony! I'll be sending strong "Listen to me, officer!" thoughts your way today.

Zoe's so lucky to have such a brave momma protecting her.

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am." - Toby and Eileen Green
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Didn't get to go today.......had a Zoe bum emergency. I just got her back from the vet's, I need to have a little relax....it's been a "B" of a Monday.

I do have all my stuff together so tomorrow morning I am on my way.
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I hope Zoe is okay!
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

yeah Zoe is fine now. I woke up this morning to a carpet streaked with blood and pus and she was hiding under the dining room table. Zoe was acting weird last night but not the kinda weird you would put to a dog that wasn't feeling well. She was zoomin and digging the bed up....I thought it was from the storm. She was like hyper in a playfull way. Then this morning.....

Just some serious anal gland problems .....again. The one vet could not get the one to empty and she said it was super huge full.....so Zoe needed to stay there until the senior vet, who was in surgery all morning, could take a look at her. Had me seriously worried. They called at quarter after 2 and said she was ready to go home. So meds for 2 weeks and some serious thinking about having the glands removed. The senior vet said the one gland was way too full, scary full. And if she hadn't been showing any signs of them bothering her......no scooting or anything, how will I know next time if it gets that full again. And she just came off of two weeks of Cephalexin last month for a bacteria infection. Her poor bum is infected pretty bad.

Same poop......different day. Whatcha' going to do
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

That really sucks that Zoe is still having her bum issues. Does the vet think it will solve the problem if you have her glands removed?
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I don't know......he told me to think about it. And I went and scared myself silly reading about it on the net for three hours!! I have to have a serious talk with Zoe and tell her to start showing some darn "symptoms" so I can get her checked. I dont know...surgery spooks me, plus there would be the whole bum trust issue thing all over again......ohhh heck. I started a thread asking about removal.....I have two weeks to think it over. I should have just came home and relaxed instead of freaking myself out.
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

The only thing I can think of would be to just periodically have her checked, but that could effect the whole 'bum trust' issue again too. What's really bad is that Zoe's bum issues could be the thing that gets your neighbors kid bit. If that kid grabs her back end she would not appreciate that. Of course that shouldn't factor into any decision that you make, after all - Zoe's health and comfort are your top concern and I know that you would never let that kid anywhere near Zoe without you right there....
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Well did you go?If so,how did it go??????
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Compromised account

dch, any news? how is Zoe doing? just remember that we are all thinking about you!

Last edited by JennieV; September 9th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Hi Dogcatharmony,

I've just pm you, with the info. of a brilliant Sault Ste. Marie lawyer who is also on the board of the Sault Ste. Marie Humane Society.

She's very nice.

Daizy
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Well it's done......almost talked myself out of going, I was nervous. But it's done. I had two of the other neighbour's come with me and I made my complaint. Unfortunetly she has done nothing illegal, so it's really nothing more than a complaint. But they did tell me I was doing everything right in writing down the events. I have to make it clear that I do not want her in my back yard uninvited, if she needs to contact me I have a front door and she is to use that. If she continues to come into my yard after that then I can call the police and someone will be sent. They said the night she was in my back yard in the dark would have been a good time to have called them.

I was told to continue keeping my interactions with her civil, contiune to keep record of anything that happens and that is that.

Soooooooo.....in a way I kinda feel a little stupid (just my head talking) but I am taking the proper steps. I don't know if I should tell her that I made a complaint to the police, or wait until she comes back into my yard to say "hey, I don't want you here, I have spoken to the police about this and if you don't leave my yard now I will call them again" In a way I was thinking that if I told her I made a complaint then maybe she would think "hmmm she is serious" but then I think about the letter reaction and it could go the other way also. Best to just follow the advice and avoid any contact started by me.

On a brighter note, since the chilly weather has started they haven't been outside in the backyard at all. The only time I have seen them was last Friday with the window teasing event. Hopefully they will stay inside until spring and then the fence goes up!!! Not even going to ask for them to pay part, I will put it up on my side of the property line and then I don't have to see them in my backyard again!
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Good job dogcatharmony Sometime you just have to step out of your comfort zone and go for it. My parents had problems with their neighbours too, they don't even own an animal but they kept tresspassing and even using our driveway as their own (they didn't have one). We decided to put a 6" wood fence and it stopped them. They moved shortly after and it was one of the happiest days ever for us.
Don't tell her about the complaint, just go about your business as usual. She'll find out soon enough