Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 29th, 2015, 08:26 AM

Oral Melanoma

My 15 yr. old Bichon had surgery last month. He had a growth in his mouth and it turned out to be Oral Melanoma. I noticed that he was acting like he had something stuck in his throat and would paw at his face. I have always brushed his teeth but lately he wouldn't let me go any farther than his fang teeth, when I pushed his gums back I was shocked at the growth. I also noticed his breath was strong. The Vet said this is an aggressive cancer and my heart just sank. Well it is a month later, he still coughs and occasionally paws at his face but he eats and drinks and is as playful as before. What can I expect and does anyone has experience with this.
Old October 29th, 2015, 11:27 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I have no advice to give--not sure what to expect from it--but we're going through something similar with Cole. At his last cleaning, the vet found an epulis on a premolar that looked a little strange and seemed to be growing toward the canine. As a precaution, he removed both the growth and the premolar. The biopsy came back as oral melanoma. The path report stated that if the growth is removed completely, the procedure is often curative. Unfortunately, we have no idea if the vet got it all---probably to be sure, they would have had to take adjacent parts of the jaw, and since Cole will be 13 on Halloween, we didn't want to put him through that.

The tumor was removed in May and so far, we've seen no further symptoms or regrowth, but we'll still have it checked every time he goes in.

So we don't know what to expect either, but I can sure relate to what you're going through! Maybe someone will be able to chime in and help us both out.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 30th, 2015, 10:47 AM

I guess our hope is that they got everything. Our Vet said he lasered the area much wider than the operation, however the lab. report was not good. He mentioned radiation but at 15 I wouldn't put him through that and he agreed. So all I can do is monitor his health.
Old October 30th, 2015, 10:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's the boat we're in, too.

With luck, they got it all from both our boys!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:27 PM

I have never been through this particular cancer but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear this news Windsor and Hazelrunpack. It is hard not fear the unknown and to worry but just go day by day and enjoy your time together. I'm sure you both know this already

Our Timber succumb to nasal cancer last year. Whether you are fighting a cancer or not at this point, support their immune system with healthy diet, exercise and supplements. That is what we did and I feel it is what kept our Timber here much longer than predicted.

We just monitored her quality of life and that's all you can really do. It is hard to think about but Timber never seemed to worry so I tried to focus on that.