Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 21st, 2018, 11:00 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Pancreatitis and B12 deficiency

Hello all,

Spirit (our 16 year old black) was having coughing spells so we took him in. We did a number of tests including X-Rays and MRI, stool sample, and blood tests. We put him on Prednosolone and the coughing had completely stopped within 2 days. Yay! Unfortunately, the blood and stool samples came back and he was diagnosed with Pancreatitis and almost non-existent B-12 (in fact, it's so bad - they want us to bring him in today). We're picking up B-12 syringes so we can start giving him shots of B-12 which should help with that problem.

The pancreatitis is more worrying. First, I assume he's in pain - I know pancreatitis can be very painful. The vet didn't mention this when she called - should we ask for something? Will the Pred help with that?

Then the bigger issue. He needs to go on a bland diet. The vet recommended Royal Canin or Hills (both via a prescription). We'll do it if we have to but I wanted to do some research (hence my posting to you knowledgeable cat lovers) to find out if that's really the best option. I know that cats require some nutrients not available in people food but is it realistic to make cat food (especially for a bland diet)? Are there cheaper or better brands we could buy for him?

We currently have dry food (Wellness) down all the time but he rarely eats it. He generally waits for the canned food (1 can split between he and his two sisters daily - the girls strongly prefer the dry. They show up for the wet but rarely eat more than a bite or two). Our dog eats whatever they don't finish (I know but at least THEY don't eat HER food!)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:33 PM

Hi rjesak ! Wow, another o̶l̶d̶ seasoned member !

I just now saw your thread.

First, yes, pancreatitis is painful for cats too. Buprenorphine would be my choice of pain control as it's the safest and an extremely effective pain med for cats. (That said, I'm also giving you a lead to some experts, so I would be guided by their advice.) (I also have to say that I found it strange that she - the Vet - didn't even mention this...)

There's a specialized online community of people who are managing their kitties' pancreatitis. They've been on the go for 11 years - in my experience, these groups offer the best advice and support and they're in-the-know about the latest in treatment protocols, drug trials and the like. You'll find these folks here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s_Support/info

These groups use email as their 'operating platform' ('old school'). So, my advice (from personal experience) is to get yourself a new, separate email account (Yahoo works well) that you dedicate to the group. This will make your keeping track of the back-and-forth messages much easier.

Yes, the diet too is an important issue from my understanding - like you, I have a certain aversion for most things "prescription" when it relates to feline nutrition (while acknowledging that a few of them have a place in the temporary stabilizing of some cats' conditions). I'm sure that the collective experience in that group will have other food options and probably recommendations.

Anyways, I hope this may help. Managing a cat's chronic health issue can be draining on us and, there's the potential for poor decision-making without the support of other wise detached 'ears'.

I'm also going to drop you a message.