Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
Not-so-senior member

Need small kibble cat food

Anyone know of a good dry cat food with really small pieces? I'm currently feeding Iams weight control because it has very small pieces (about the size of a smilie ), but I'd like to switch to a better quality food. Our one kitty has dental problems and we've tried to get her to eat soft foods but she won't do more than sample canned stuff, then she's off searching for dry food. If we don't give her any dry food, she goes after our other cat's Nutro, which is very large kibble as far as cat food goes, and I worry she'll choke.

Whatever we give her needs to be small because she doesn't have enough teeth to chew it well. Websites don't seem to describe cat kibble sizes. Thanks for any suggestions.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:35 PM

I don't know about the sizes, but I had to say, I*** is nearly a swear word here...

Could you wet the food? Maybe it would soften it up?
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you considered Wellness? And there is also some very good canned food (tho a bit pricey at 1.99 a can) at the organic food store on Quinpool Rd. The name escapes me tho - it's found at the back if the store. They have a great chicken and rice. I try to stay away from the dry stuff just b/c wet food has more protein and helps YY and the S girls to get more water than they'd normally drink. Cats, unlike dogs, are not noted water drinkers.

And like many pet lovers, I avoid Iams like the Plague. I refuse to support a company that funds and supports research in which cats are tortured and killed. I do suspect they are not the only one who do that but I know Wellness food is high protein and good quality and YY and the Sphynx Girls like it. I buy Wellness at Global Pet Foods in Bayer's Lake Business Park. (Chain Lake Drive).

I feed them only human grade food and most food available at a grocery store or WalMart does not fit that category.

This is the Wellness Dry stuff they eat (on occasion):
http://www.omhpet.com/cats/wellness_...ryCatSup5Adult

But mostly, they eat canned food.

When YY was a klitten and 1st arrived, she was on Hills Science Kitten Food but I switched her gradually to Wellness. I feed her dry stuff only when I am away or she cannot come to my office. I figure it is her "fast food", lol

Last edited by CyberKitten; October 2nd, 2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Canned is better,but for dry Felidae and Eagle Pack Holistic Select have smaller size kibbles,can't recall which is smaller.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:26 PM
Not-so-senior member

I hear/read a lot of mixed opinions about dry vs canned for cats. I've been feeding both, but both of my cats prefer dry despite much experimentation with canned so I continue to give it to them. When I find a good quality, small sized kibble I will probably switch both cats to the same food and will continue to feed them both dry and moist food. But I'm not sure if I should switch Ruby too, the Nutro seems to do well for her.

Lucy is new to us and we're still trying to transition her to a diet that is healthy for her. She refuses to eat anything other than small amounts of a few canned foods--and we've tried many varieties since she has been with us. As for dry, if we don't give her the Iams, which is the only really small kibble I have been able to find, she's into our other cat's better quality, but much larger sized, kibble and I don't think it's safe for her since she doesn't chew it well.

Dry mixed with wet food or dry food moistened with broth gets very poor reviews around here--2 paws down. But thanks for the suggestion Prin.

I'm probably going to go with Wellness for the doggies so perhaps for the kitties too, as long as there's an 'itty bitty' variety. The brands you suggested LL1 look to be very good foods. Thanks for your help.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:03 AM

What about just crushing the Nutro a little bit?
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:33 PM
Not-so-senior member

I tried this without much success. I end up with a few pieces that are about the right size and a ton of powdery crumbs that the cats won't touch. I don't have a food processor, though I wondered if that would work on a coarse setting. I do have a coffee grinder...

Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

My cats eat both Nutro and Chicken-Soup-For-Cat-Lovers-Soul.The CSFCLS is small starshaped kibbles,has all natural human grade ingredients and reasonably priced.
My cats would not even touch Wellness,but like humans,they all have different tastes.
Of course,mine also eat canned,one tbsp each morning and night.
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry Shannon, for some reason, I thought you were from Nova Scotia (not sure why - I am usually in a rush, that may be why??) - so obviously if you are from NY, my reccs do not make any sense, lol Seriously, I like Wellness - or rather my kitty does.
Old October 4th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Well, CK, Fur City is everywhere! Especially in the fall and spring...
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Not-so-senior member

Quote:
mine also eat canned,one tbsp each morning and night.
Chico, why the odd amount? I figure that's about all that mine eat, but I was wondering if you purposely feed that amount, or if yours also just sample, then move on.....Also, I was wondering if you feed the natural choice indoor variety of Nutro? That's what Ruby has, which is so large.
Quote:
for some reason, I thought you were from Nova Scotia
No worries, CK, I figured it was a case of mistaken identity or something.

Last edited by shannonRN; October 5th, 2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Shannon,I started giving them just one third of a small can each(3 cats)and they always leave a little,so obviously it's enough.
However they have 2 bowls of the dried food I mentioned 24/7,cats are nibblers and seldom gulp down all their food like some dogs.
Yes,I buy the Nutro Indoors,Nutro has now come out with smaller kibbles and one of my cats likes it.
Nutro does not have the best of ingredients,but with 3 cats one likes Nutro,the other CSFPLS,so I buy both.
My bag of Wellness I tried,went to the Crows,I have 3 semitamed Crows that I feed
Cats are finicky little buggers it takes a while to figure out what they like I wish more cat-food companies would sell samplers.
Old October 7th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Not-so-senior member

Thanks, chico, I was just wondering about that.
I know Nutro isn't THE best food, but it's a decent food and I feel comfortable feeding it to the critters as long as it works for them--and had been using it because it was readily available to me, unlike other foods. It looks as if the whole household will be making a switch--hopefully no one will be too fussy about their food or it will get very inconvenient.

Old October 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Thx Shannon and yeah Prin, I kinda figured Fur City was anywhere where one had a fur baby. My babies are finniky too but I look to most dry stuff as their version of a trip to McDonald's and they like the junk, sigh!! But trhey get Wellness canned stuff and human grade food.