Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 12th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Throwing up after drinking

Hi everyone,
I've had a situation a couple times now were Jasper has thrown up after drinking his water.

This is our daily routine:
They spend the day together in their bedroom. I come home, let them outside for 5-10 minutes. They play a little bit, but mostly just follow me around while I clean up the yard and then they come in for a drink. After that, they go back outside and play around for an hour or so until daddy comes home and it's supper time.

But lately, including today, Jasper's thrown up within a minute or 2 of drinking his water. It's mainly just water that he's throwing up.
I don't think he's a particularly fast drinker IMO (Timber always finishes his food & water first).
I know there are special bowls that are on the market that will slow him down while drinking, but I'm not entirely sure that's the problem.
If it is, do you think it's something he'll eventually grow out of?

I know the obvious thing is to not give them water at that time (since that's the only time of day when it's happened so far), but they've just gone all day without drinking, and the poor little pup needs refreshment, doesn't he?
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Are his food and water bowls raised off the floor? That might help solve the problem.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM

The food dishes are raised, but not the water dish.
(it's on my husband's honney-do-list to make a 3 bowl raised feeder for their 2 food dishes and a shared water dish).

I never really thought about that causing it though. I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference over the next week.

Thanks 14+
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Why are they going all day without water?

Cindy
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:19 PM

Raise the water bowl so that your pet will not throw up after drinking water.
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

if Brina drinks too fast or plays right after drinking she always tosses the water back up....
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Why are they going all day without water?

Cindy
My question exactly.
If any of mine get all worked up then drink, they do the same thing.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I know if Hazel drinks too much water at once she'll sometimes throw a bit back up.

Sounds to me like he is parched and just drinking it too fast, and since dogs don't really 'drink', they throw the water to the back of the throat - he could be getting a bit of air in there too.

I would suggest leaving water for them during the day so that the dog doesn't feel like he needs to gulp the whole bowl of water at once. Severely restricting water intake can lead to all sorts of health issues.
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

The water bowl for large breeds should be off the floor and placed at equal level to the mouth of the dog. Also, the dog should have continuous access to water throughout the day. It sounds like he is so thursty that he is gobbling it so quickly and the explosion happens due to over indulgence.

Try giving him free access to water and see what happens. Does he throw up his food?
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM

They don't have water from about 8am until 3pm while we're at work, so that they don't have accidents while we're gone. It's only been about 2 weeks that I stopped coming home at lunch, and 3 days that I stopped leaving them in their crates.
I never really thought this was a big deal since they pretty much sleep all day and it's really no different then at night time while they're sleeping. (I know they don't go downstairs for a drink at night, because they never leave our bed)

At this point, they're still young enough that they have to go pee within about an hour of drinking water, which won't work while we're at work.
I had my old dog for 13 years, and we always had food and water down for him at all times, but he always refused to eat or drink if we weren't home. Then as soon as we got home, he'd have a drink and a nibble.
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

They should have water available to them all day. I've never left any pup or dog without water.

Cindy
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Dog should always have water available - and mine does. But he will go for hours without it - but as soon as he gets excited - say it is time for a walk, Daddy comes home etc. he considers it his mission to empty the entire water bowl regardless of how much is in it - he will finish the whole bowl and then lovingly lick the empty bowl and give it a kick to let me know it is empty. On return from his walk he will empty it again. Part of the game - excitment equals water drinking. He drinks it fast and occasionally will spit up a bit of it. When he was at the Groomers they told me he emptied the just full water bowl - they couldn't believe how a 22 lb. dog could finish the huge bowl so fast - but then I was expected any minute - the bowl had been empty - and he wanted a drink - and he feels he has to drink it all. They only mentioned it because excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes but he doesn't have diabetes he is just an excited drinker.