Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Question Can anyone tell me if...

Hello...My DH wants to get new carpeting. Although I would jump at this opportunity cuz our carpet is 19 yrs. old now...we're planning on moving in 3 yrs. so I don't want to spend the money...plus my biggest concern is I have 4 cats and 1 dog. Anyone with pets knows that a dog will vomit every now and then...and my cats have a tendency to urinate or poop on my carpet when they feel their litter box needs to be cleaned. (DH cleans it daily too) So my question is...Does anyone know if there is such a carpeting out there that is durable and resistant to vomit-urine-poop? I would love for new carpeting but just don't want to waste the money when the animals do this every so often. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

New carpet gives your home a better resale value.
There is a cleaner out there called Nature's Miracle. It works very well to clean carpets and floors of those wonderful pet smells. Homemade recipe is
1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 cup water. Put in spray bottle. Wet spot well and leave for a few minutes. Then blot. It works well here with two older dogs and 5 kitties.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM

Why not replace the carpetting with hardwood or laminate flooring??

I had to do that after Buster decided to use the living room carpet as his toilet...

Nature's Miracle didn't work for me....

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Less carpeting the better with all my cats and dogs. Helps my allergies too to not have it. Hardwood and tile are the best things IMO.

Cindy
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
-

I agree with replacing the carpet with laminate flooring.

If I ever win the lotto that's what we will be doing.
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Best thing I ever did was tear up the carpets..2 cats 1 dog = trouble!

I thnk I would agree on the laminate!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I also think that both for the best resale value and for an easier time with cleanup duty hardwood would be the best. If not hardwood, then tiles/laminate.

Having said that, we have hardwood/tiles on our main floor and cleanup is really easy there. On the top floor we only have regular beige carpet - nightmare! And in the basement we have berber carpet which I find the easiest to clean with accidents. ALso the berber has more than one colour in it so even if some colour is left behind or wahtever it kinda blends

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

We just spent our week-end doing the last of the laminate!! (we already did the other 2 floors, and the upstairs needed to be done,as it was all carpeted)
I too would have loved carpet upstairs, especially in the beedrooms, but with 4 cats (furball, and barfing on occasion) and a dog who if left alone to long has both peed and pooed in our bedroom . Laminate was the only way to go. Besides if you are not selling for 3 years, carpets will be well worn (with animal traffic, and waste) by then and will not increase the value of your home, I believe it could actually decrease the value as pet smells get trapped in carpet, no matter how often and well you clean.

Laminate is so easy to care for, and looks new even years later.
Hardwood on the other hand does not fair well with animal traffic, it scratches and gouges easily, and is costly and a pain to resurface.

We got this beautiful pecan tounge and groove laminate, it looks exactly like hardwood and so far everyone thinks it is hardwood!
It also has a 30 warranty. Home Depot had it on sale for $1.29 CND a sq foot, and also had 10% off all laminate and don't pay for 1 year special!! How could we not buy it
It was really easy to install (you don't even need that instalation kit) as all seams just fit together.

I'll have to post some pics of it!

Just a warning though, some dogs have trouble walking on laminate, so you should test your dog on someones laminate before spending your money on it.
Buddy has never had problems walking or even running on it

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:07 AM

It will be best if you replace your carpet with laminate. You do not have to spend extra time cleaning every time there is an accident. It is also not easy to remove the smell caused by poop, vomit, and urine. Plus furs will be all over. In the long run, you will be able to save more when you change to laminate.
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I would switch to laminate or hardwood floors.alot of people are switching to these days even if they don't have pets.less time consuming when cleaning when your time is limited.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Wow...everyone says to replace with laminate. Although it sounds nice/easy...I live in a very old farm house and although we have totally gutted and redone all rooms and everything to this house...I just don't feel hardwood or laminate floors would work for us. I say that because...its hard enough to keep the house warm in the winter and having that type of flooring would make it even colder....JMO...but I thank you all for all your suggestions. I might look into berber and see how that would work with some kind of scotch guard. Thanks again.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

We haven't found our house any colder without the carpet. Mind you DH keeps the temperature a little on the low side regardless, so we throw on an extra sweat shirt or sweater. We don't walk around the house barefoot, he's always wearing socks and I've always got my slippers on.
So much easier to keep tile or hardwood clean and helps with my allergies so much. 3 cats and 2 dogs = nightmare with carpeting, ha, ha. Likewise, changed from cloth chesterfield to leather.....OMG, what a difference without having to try to get all those cat and dog hairs off the furniture. I wish I'd done it years ago.

Cindy
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoeZ View Post
Wow...everyone says to replace with laminate. Although it sounds nice/easy...I live in a very old farm house and although we have totally gutted and redone all rooms and everything to this house...I just don't feel hardwood or laminate floors would work for us. I say that because...its hard enough to keep the house warm in the winter and having that type of flooring would make it even colder....JMO...but I thank you all for all your suggestions. I might look into berber and see how that would work with some kind of scotch guard. Thanks again.
Berber is a nice carpet but can be very pricey.
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the others. I think you will be better off with laminate/hardwood or tile floors. Many people these days prefer it over carpeting. It's all I ever see on those home shows. If you watch House Hunters on HGTV carpeting is really something people don't want to have anything to do with, so I think you will certainly have better resale value without carpets. You can always buy yourself a rug.

I've got 5 cats, and the only carpeting I have is on my stairs and I hate it. But the cats would slip without it there, so it's a necessary evil.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
Berber is a nice carpet but can be very pricey.
yup, I paid $75.00 for a piece of berber to cover my stairs (I only have 7 narrow stairs) Oh and we have just found that the cats love to pull the loops of the berber out! so we have to keep trimming it, or it looks messy with all the pulls
there is special underlay you can buy for noise and cold, it's more pricey then the regular stuff, but I hear it works great.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

really cats do thatg happycats?

I guess I lucked out with my two! there havent been any pulls at all.

Hmmm maybe im not talking about berber carpet afterall I said berber after googling it and seeing the carpet which looked like what we have in the basement. Perhaps its just something that looks like it? The loop is very tight I cant imagine cats nails getting caught in it? Unless they actively scratch the carpet. Mine arent bothered with the carpet at all...they much rather scratch furniture lol.

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Mine love to scratch the carpet. The carpet on the stairs is berber, and my rug in the living room isn't berber, but it has these threads they love to pull on. I guess I'm lucky. Mine love to scratch the rugs AND furniture.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

lol at leas they dont like to scratch you AG!!

Bunduk tried climbing up my jeans leg today to get to a highup shelf. Seriously sometimes I wonder if he thinks I'm an inanimate object in his world. Holy owwness.

Old March 10th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Sega has wicked nails, he can destroy any carpet/furniture! and yes he has scratched the berber and has pulled the "loops" out, so I have to keep trimming the berber. And yes I have many scratch posts, I have a crawl space, nick named "the kitty condo" I have their food, litter and scratch posts of all kinds (carpet, rope, cardboard) down there, and a kitty door to get in there. But for some reason running (and stopping to scratch) up and down the stairs, seems to be a favorite past time for my guys.

Old March 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

no carpeting here, leather furniture etc *L* with daycare and pets its the best for our value, we live in an old home and the floors aren't any colder, in fact we find them warmer because of the extra padding you put under flooring, I wash my floors weekly and dustmop twice a day, you can't wash a carpet weekly,and Im too lazy to vacume twice a day..............so to me carpets represent germs.....JMO......