Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM

stray cat issues!

Hi there - I don't have any pets due to my erratic workshifts in a theatre but a ginger tom stray cat appeared on my street a couple of months ago and often comes in for a bit of food and affection. He's a lovely cat but I'm pretty sure he doesn't belong to anyone. I can hear him fighting outside sometimes at night and the other week he came in with a cut ear but he was rolling around playfully and eating as if he weren't bothered and it's now healing fine.

However - last night he appeared at the window all groggy-looking so I let him in. He was walking fine but a bit slower than usual (I think he's a fairly young cat) and ate both soft and hard food with no problems. Then I noticed a section of matted fur under his chin on the left hand side, maybe a bite from another animal? Also his left eye isn't closing properly - he's sleeping with it half open though his nictating membrane is still covering ok and I can't see any corneal or superficial damage to the eye itself. He was also rather dopey, normally he runs around and is very playful but he was staring into space, wanted to lie on me and sleep and was purring madly as I cuddled him. It's almost like he's got concussion/had a stroke with the weird eye thing.

I let him stay in last night and he had a good sleep and is much more sprightly this morning but the eye thing's still there, not closing when the other one is. Could the gash under his chin be related to the eye thing? Wondered if he's had a knock from a car but can't see how that would cause a gash under the chin???!

I'm clueless and wondering if I should do anything but he doesn't like being picked up, I don't have any sort of cat carrier or a vet as I don't have any animals! I'm really wondering how I would get him anywhere to be looked at and how he would respond.....

Many thanks for any suggestions,

Louise
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Kitty pimp

have you owned a cat belore? And Would you like to?
It sounds like you have been owned by your tom.

I would try to persaude od wrange him into a carrier and get him to the vet
persuade first

Bad eyes are usually an infection of some kind and it \may be from damn near anything

having an erratic scehdule is ok for some cats and it sounds like he is very comfortaboe in your home If you do take him to the vet i would imagine the vet will recommewnd he tries to stay indoors for a while.

I know it's difficult and you are doing what you can but taking care for the most part outside cat can get very exxpensive and the chances of him living a healthy long life is pretty slim.

I am not recomminding any thing for you, I have been both routes with cats but a stray that comes into my house i would want to try to keep.

your an
Old September 15th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for taking care of him. I have two suggestions. One, you can take him to a vet. If you take him to a vet, you will have to pay the cost of him being there and whatever else he needs while he is there. 2nd suggestion, you can contact your local Humane Society.

Most Humane Societies have vet clinics that they take there shelter animals too. If they are sick/injured, the vet will take care of them. Just check out the Humane Societies euth policy. At the HS that I work for, we don't put down for cage space. All of our animals are at the shelter, til they are adopted.

It could be that the infection under his chin, has spread to his eye. I had a case where a puppy had a severe eye infection. It turned out that it all started in his mouth and the inside of his mouth was so infected that it was coming out his eye.

Also, here some vets take in strays. Maybe a vet clinic will take him in? Also, you will want to have him scanned for a mircochip. A family might be missing him dearly.

Also, cats are very independent animals. what is your workshifts like? You might be able to keep him?

Good luck and keep us posted.

ACO22
Old September 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

My cat was picked up from her head by a dog years ago. I remember the eye wouldn't close after that episode. The vet told me that the dog may have damaged the nerve on her head and her eye will never close properly. Fortunately, 6 months later it just closed...the vet was surprised by the sudden recovery...as was I...nothing like a cat who is looking at you while she is sleeping..
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Many thanks

Hi there, many thanks for your replies. He's upstairs lounging on my bed at the moment happy as larry. Stretching, rolling over and purring happily. He's eaten ravenously including some cream and just seems to want to sleep. I've had a sniff (sorry that's gross but needs must!) of the matted fur bit and no bad smells indicating infection plus can't actually see anything bad underneath like broken skin. More like a saliva-ry attempted bite that didn't go deep. As I say he's definitely moving fine and jumping on tables etc.

The eye doesn't look infected in any way, just doesn't want to close fully (it's now closing halfway when he's fast asleep as opposed to staying wide open last night). He's definitely dopier than usual but not as bad as he was last night so I'm thinking he may have had a knock to the head (flung by whatever he fought with??) and be a bit concussed. He's welcome to stay on my bed as long as he wants anyway, I'm off this weekend.

I think I'll monitor him and call into the vets on Monday for a chat. Might see if the vet would come out to me as he's ok with other people coming to visit and equally as affectionate with them. I'll pay whatever jabs etc he may need to have. I'm on a basic theatre wage but I'm a sucker when it comes to animals......last week it was a baby hedgehog whose mother died who I brought from friends in Wales to a hedgehog sanctuary at home here in Manchester and a few months before another cat hit by a car that appeared on my doorstep that the RSPCA took and treated. I think I must be giving out those vibes!

Anyway looks like he has adopted me so I might have to try and fit a cat flap somewhere though as luck would not have it my back door is glass panelled so there's another challenge!

Thanks again,

Louise
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM

thanks so much cpietra just read your post - that makes total sense and would explain the matted fur under his chin......we have a lot of foxes round here and a couple of dogs in backyards so could be either.....

yep the sleeping with one eye open is very odd - but maybe he's watching out for nasty foxes coming back for more!!

as long as he's happy and not in pain that's ok by me. And he was really chewing on his dried food (yes he is that spoilt, a selection of soft food hard food and cream..........hmmm I wonder why he likes me!) so the jaw seems ok.

Louise
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Please take him to the vet. If you can't borrow a crate, don't worry, a sturdy box that closes firmly will do (but not on the bus ). He definitely needs to be checked out. Cats who fight or are attacked are at high risk for infection from their wounds and anything to do with the eye is especially dangerous. I have seen many strays with one 'dead' eye.

All vets have experience dealing with stressed out animals, so don't worry about that part. A little stress won't kill him and he'll feel alot better later. If he really freaks out, you may need a second pair of hands to get him in the box/crate.

If he doesn't have a fever, ask the vet to vaccinate him and make an appointment to have him neutered. The usual waiting period is ten days but sometimes they will do it sooner. You would need to keep him inside from that point on, otherwise he might not be around on the big day.

Neutered cats lose their fighting edge and are much happier lolling around the house, without that drive to reproduce and conquer new territory. It sounds like he's been on the short end of a few battles. A combination of infection and hunger usually finishes off the losers.

Even if you have erratic working hours, he would be perfectly happy waiting to greet you at the door, provided the essentials are there: a bowl of food, a litter box, a warm place to sleep and your affections.

I think you have chosen each other already
Old September 15th, 2007, 01:43 PM
~Cat Servent~

I had a cat come to me much the same way, he had a terrible looking injury above his eye, and was covered in grease markings, my guess was rolled over by a car, maybe bouncing along the undercarriage.... I took him in, had him seen by a vet thanks to a rescue, and he was the most affectionate cat I have ever seen. He now lives with a very nice family, his eye healed but left a big scar which I think just made him more lovable and I hope he has many stress free years ahead of him. Rescue groups will often help take care of vet costs and spay/neuter if they know you want to give him a forever home, you might just be asked to pay the regular adoption fee, which trust me is a very very good deal. You have come to the right place with your questions as many of us have dealt with strays and ferals.... so welcome welcome welcome!

(I refrain from recommending the HS, because the one here doesn't give strays/feral any chance at all or help... I have had many dealings with them and am so unimpressed I encourage everyone with similar questions to contact local rescues.... here sending an animal to the HS is just about tantemount to a death sentance ... and they are completely unwilling it seems every time I have been in need of assistance to help with cats.)

Do you know of any rescues in your area? Calling a vet is a good idea but many if you are not a patient won't give info over the phone without seeing the animal. If your budget allows, he should definitely at least get looked over by a vet to make sure it is nothing too serious, as soon as possible.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Please try to get this cat to a vet ASAP whether you do it or take it to your local humane society who will ensure it gets proper vet treatment. Cats are extremely good at hiding pain and you may not be able to tell by observing. Sounds like he has some nerve damage and if the eye is not closing properly will need drops to keep it hyrdrated or he may loose that eye all together.

If you visit your local pharmacy there are some eye drops that are safe for felines, it is Polysporin Eye and Ear drops. In Ontario your have to ask for it at the pharmacy desk. It will help with the hydration and bacterial issue, but does not replace a prescription.
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM

You should borrow a trap, since he does not like to be picked up. Otherwise, he actually might bite you. He seems to be distressed and in need of veterinary attention, probably needs to be put on antibiotics for 10 days. (You would have to keep him inside for that). He also needs to be fixed, so that he does not populate the neighborhood. And as he is getting fixed you could ask the vet to give him a bath. Maybe he would prefer a life inside, peaceful and quiet? Away from fighting toms. Perhaps since he found you, you would like to give him a home? Or maybe you have a friend that would like to keep him? Thanks for helping him and keep us updated!
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Kitty pimp

i think you got adopted
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I kept him in again last night and awoke to two paws around my neck and a loud purring in my ear! That eye seems to be closing a lot better now and he's back to his naughty playful self so the dopiness has passed. The matted fur under his neck is also normal again and doesn't smell at all so I think whatever got him must have given his neck a squeeze but not broken any skin. Also he was yawning in a lopsided way on Friday so may have had a sore jaw.

He's just gone out, come back in again, had his favourite food and gone back upstairs to purr on my boyfriend in bed - he's in seventh heaven on the bed!!

Bought a cat flap too yesterday, my boyfriend's going to do a bit of DIY on one of the backdoor glass panels and replace it with some plywood with the cat flap in the middle as the measurements of the window are bigger than the flap once we remove the glass panel. I wonder if Rocky knows the trouble we're going to for him! Think he prob does as he brought me a dead mouse last week.....poor little thing I love mice. I pretended to be grateful and got rid of it when he wasn't looking! He does seem to love coming to bed at night so I'm hoping with the catflap in place he'll rather stay in than be outside wandering and getting into fights at night. At least he has a warm place to come to and food/water at all times when I'm at the theatre til midnight.

I'm going to go to the vets on Monday as a friend told me they have the cardboard carriers I can use to transport him there. Def want to get him checked out and have any jabs he may need and mention the jaw etc. Must admit I'm absolutely dreading it though, bet he won't be bringing me any mice for the next month!

Will keep you posted and thanks again for all the advice!

Louise
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the love story
You will be neutering him, right? That more than anything will keep him closer to home. You might even consider closing the cat flap at night. Since cats are nocturnal by nature, most of the fighting and skullduggery goes on then, so it would protect him from at least some of the risk.
(I would kill for a cat flap)
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Im also from the UK, so I think I might be able to help abit more on the financial side, Contact the Cats protection League, if you are on a low wage, they can issue you with a voucher for neutering they will also tell you which vet to goto. They can also provide you with cat boxes etc.

Alternatively contact them and ask which vets are Blue cross vets, this is a charity set up to help poorly animals, and you just make a donation to their funds if you can't afford the full amount.

Glad he's feeling better, looks like he has def found his forever home.
Old September 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Kitty pimp

I'm going to go to the vets on Monday as a friend told me they have the cardboard carriers I can use to transport him there. Def want to get him checked out and have any jabs he may need and mention the jaw etc. Must admit I'm absolutely dreading it though, bet he won't be bringing me any mice for the next month!

I bet he is up and loving ya wihtin 48 hours.
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Thumbs up

loulou1971, I've missed your story till now, but as a BB regular and cat sucker (well, critter butler in general, to be more accurate ) I'm rooting for you and "the cat who came in from the cold". Good for you for seeking help/advice, as a person who hasn't had a cat before.

It looks like you've gotten lots of good info already; folks on here have given me a ton of encouragement etc. over the past year (most people are very pro spay/neuter and advocate 'indoor cats', so we sometimes may sound a bit 'stern', but everybody's bottom line is loving animals and being responsible critter carers!)

And it sounds as if you've made some real effort to accommodate and care for this stray...again, that's great to hear ; we all thank you on behalf of your adoptee. Along with everyone else, I hope that things continue to go well, and do keep posting with any news/questions. You are sure to be asked for pictures too, so hopefully you can indulge the BB (I had a digital, but no clue how to post pics till I came on here!)!?

Last of all...there's some sort of saying about "cats picking their people", so consider yourself chosen, and be flattered!

...ooh, just one more thing-I think most of us understand the conflict/stress of animals and money $$, and more 'kudos' to you for doing what you can. Once you're sort of set up the costs are not all that bad, with a little luck! I would be soooo not poor-ish if I didn't have cats/dogs/ponies, but then I'd have 'no life' and likely spend the $$ on silly or pointless stuff...critters really are priceless, and give us back so much (besides hairballs, honest!)!
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

What a wonderful story. Thank you so much for taking him in. Hopefully you'll decide to keep him indoors, since he seems to be fighting a lot, or at the very least animals seem to be getting to him. He's much safer and from the sounds of it, happier inside your home.

Bless your caring heart.
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:21 AM

Hi everyone,
i was just googling the net about my stray cat and i came across this forum, i thought you lot might be able to help give me some advice!!

I have never really liked cats, or owned one or anything, and i have recently accummilated one... its a little strange.. i'll tell u the story..

We had a cat living outside our block of flats for a few weeks, he looks tatty and unloved, so the ladies who live below reported him to the RSPCA, who took him to the vets, had him wormed etc, then stuck a paper collar on him n brought him back saying they couldnt find anywhere for him and had no room to take him in, they also said as he is about 7years old and no-one would really want him and so they might have to put him down...

so me n my boyfriend decided we would take him in and look after him, (i couldnt stand leaving him outside in the rain and listen to him cry all night.. i'm a bit soppy like that!)

now cos i dont no much about cats i dont really no whats normal - i know he has conjunctivitis and we have been given drops for that, but he seems realyl slow... he doesnt really do much, just lays there asleep all the time, doesnt seem interested in anything, is this normal??
Also he has tiny pea sized lumps of skin under his fur, what could this be?
i've got an appointment with the vet on monday, but i wondered if anyone could help incase the vet try to pull a fast one money wise... (not that i'm untrusting...lol)

Sorry for the essay... but i need help!!

Lisa and Henry the cat!!
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Kitty pimp

Well your an angel!!! you will get lots of advice here all quite good

i am not sure of where you live but here around new york, a stray cat visit to the vet
is about $200 for a complete checkup

as far as sleeping thats what cats very good at

As long as he is eating and using the litter box he should be fine
If thats not happening you might want to call the vet and ask

I assume the rspca gives them a once over

also hes in a bit of a strange place so let him find a safe quite place to eat
and hang out . planety of fresh water too
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM

thanks for the reply...

I'm from the UK

well his currently living in my flat, he doesnt dart for the door or anything though when i open it and he seems quite happy, his eating perfectly fine, the RSPCA said his incredibly skinny, so i've just been trying to feed him twice a day (someone said this is normal routine for a cat) as i didnt want to over/under feed him.
He has used his litter tray for a wee, but hasnt been for a "proper" toilet yet, his been indoors for 2 days and 2 nights now, should i be worried that his not been?

his got a little dry skin, but i've been brushing him, and since being indoors it seems to have improved, is there anything i can do to help this?

Lisa
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Stray cats' digestive systems sometimes get incredibly screwed up from eating garbage and/or not getting much of a workout at all (empty ). It takes awhile to get kick-started when they return to regular eating. Prepare for his stools to be a bit strange, weird colours, loose, smelly. Has he been wormed? If he hasn't, I would put that at the top of your list.
Same for his coat, he had no nutrients to spare, so his coat has suffered. It'll improve over time. Fishy food (but not every day) will help.
In a couple of months you won't recognize him!
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Kitty pimp

hey lou lou hows your guy doing?

Old September 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM

i hope so, his looking all a bit sorry for himself at the moment, i've been told not to spoil him food wise, as apparently they get used to nice foods and wont eat normal stuff, i've been giving him a tesco own stuff out of a little tin.. he seems to like it tho!

He is missing a few teeth too so he cant have biscuits, is feeding twice a day enough?! i want him to put on weight but in a healthy way, not eat loads then be sick cos his stomach isnt used to it!!

he sits with his tongue hanging out slightly, is this normal??

i'm really thick in the world of cats, i have absolutly no idea, i've only ever owned a rabbit!!!

Lisa
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:12 AM
Kitty pimp

if you are home all day feed him a liitle bit maybe 3 ozs every 4 hours or so the recommended is usually about an oz per lb a day
a liitle more or a little less depending on the food

only feed her cat food for now I am not sure of the good brands in th uk but some one here will hopefully chime in and tell you .

dint know about the toungue thing may be related to his dental problems
has he been doing that all along?

Hey posters i know thers lots of good places to go for new cat owners
can y'all post some?
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Thumbs up

Sounds like you've done okay so far ;cats are no dummies when they pick their people! (Thanks on his behalf .) The advice above re: takes a starving-ish cat a while to sort out pooping, and the coat will really improve with good nutrition etc. is all hopefully reassuring info.

Regarding lots of eating and sleeping, after living outside and just surviving, it's take him a while to recover health and fatigue-wise; compare it to someone coming home after a month on 'Survivor'-eek.

With the 'tongue out', I believe cats will do this if they are a bit stressed-or maybe over-heated i.e. your cat had already started to grow a winter coat, so may be a bit warm inside...that would be temporary. You could post in the Health forum if that's still a problem.

As most of us are very committed to spay/neuter, that's a priority as I'm sure was already mentioned. When you first are adopted! by a cat, especially a stray, there's a bit of expense with vacc's and spay/neuter (boys are cheaper!), but [at least in Canada] some good vets are much cheaper than others-I shop around.

(If you're lucky enough, you may even have a low-cost s/n clinic near you??)

There are some total cat gurus on the BB who will hopefully post here, as Jim Hall mentioned...one or 2 already have (that doesn't include me-I've had multiple cats for years, but compared to some folks, I'm a total amateur!).

If you keep posting with any concerns/updates, people will definitely reply with assistance; when I was first on here, I was clueless re: feral cats, and I received so much encouragement and advice . I don't know what I would have done without this BB!

Also, if you're able to post pics, it really helps folks relate to your story even more; that's how I learned to put up photos (from people asking!!). You're never alone on this BB with so many great critterfolk, so keep in touch, and enjoy the new member of your family. Best of luck to you!!

p.s. over the years, I 'domesticated' a couple of not-feral Tomcats who were battered from fighting all the time; they both totally relaxed into kitty couch potatoes!

Last edited by kashtin's kin; September 21st, 2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old September 24th, 2007, 02:27 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the advice everyone, he seems to be looking much healthier! his even being going to the toilet!!

I think your right about his tongue, i've decided it hangs out cos his missing some teeth! he can't have biscuits cos he cant seem to chew them properly, i even tried soaking them in the gravy in his food to try and soften them up!!

anyone got any idea on what i can use instead?? as i've been told people leave biscuits out for there cats all day, and his got nothing! he seemed to purk up when i gave him some cat milk, he doesnt seem to drink water!! But loves milk!!

I've booked him into the vets tonight, so we;'ll see what happens! thanx for all the advice tho everyone! its much appreciated!

I'm so clueless when it comes to cats!! I thikn its cos i've always been a rabbit person!! therefore never liked cats!!! lol!!

anyways... thanks again!

Lisa and her "looking much prettier" Henry!

Old September 24th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If he is having problems eating hard food are you able to get him some quality canned? Cats should only eat canned if possible to ensure they get enought water as they lack a thirst drive.

Is the milk you are giving him a formulated milk for cats? If not a lot of cats are lactose intolerant to cows milk and should not be given it.

You are an for taking this poor stray in.
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM

yeah its cats milk, Felix!

He looks a little like felix the cat!

I give him canned food as his main meal, he seems happy enough... i'm trying to feed him 3 times a day now as twice doesnt seem enough for him...!

I just hope his not got anything seriously wrong with him as me and my boyfriend have got quite attached to him now!

Lisa x
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

LisaandHenry, sounds like you're doing really well with 'Felix?'; that's great to hear . You may have been 'cat-clueless' before, but your kitty learning curve is moving right along; now, if I suddenly found myself with a rabbit, I would be in a bit of a panic!

If Felix? can't have cat biscuits, it's not the end of the world. Some of our older cats don't like or have a bit of trouble with harder stuff, so we just figure out what works for them. Maybe your vet will have some ideas...pet food brands and types are a bit different from the ones here in Canada, of course.

We'll have our fingers/claws crossed that Felix'? vet visit goes well. He may be a bit 'battle-worn' etc., but I've had one or 2 rougher looking older Tomcats that I had neutered when they adopted me, and with a little TLC they were tons better.

Hope your vet turns out to be nice, with good advice and not toooo expensive rates. If for some reason, you don't feel comfortable with a vet and their advice/rates, you can always comparison shop i.e. ask some cat people in your area.

However, with any luck, Felix? will have a good visit. Make sure you post here if any issues involving 'sticky' decisions come up, and I'm sure the good ol' BB will have support and advice.
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:43 AM

Hiya,

His names Henry.. lol! never mind!

His been to the vets, she says his a lovely cat! yay! his got antibiotics for his teeth, a jab for his skin, drops for his eyes and had his little claws snipped!! so he seems fine now!!

only thing now is i dont have a clue what breed he is and i need to know as the vet said i should insure him!! his a tuxedo looking cat.. but i guess that doesnt help!! i forgot to ask the vets!!