Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 8th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Dog food suitable for cats ? (cans)

Hi everyone, I've been told that Nature's Variety Instinct for dogs is the same formula for cats (it has taurine). Has anyone else also heard this? Since NVI for dogs is available in large 13 oz cans, in the long run it's cheaper because NVI for cats is only 5.5 oz.

Do you know of any other can dog food suitable for cats? I haven't compared the ingredients yet, thought I would ask here first.

Thanks for your comments!
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ingredient comparison for NV Instinct cans:

Ingredients for Dog, Chicken:
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Eggs, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsle

For the Cat formula

Ingredients
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Eggs, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley

Yup they look the same to me.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I used to wonder the same thing. I was told there is not enough taurine in the dog food, but ok for once in a while. But I did find a cheaper cat food, grain free called Felidae (read carefully as the cans look alike with the grain one)
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:23 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
I used to wonder the same thing. I was told there is not enough taurine in the dog food, but ok for once in a while. But I did find a cheaper cat food, grain free called Felidae (read carefully as the cans look alike with the grain one)
If you compare the ingredients on the web site the amounts of taurine are the same in almost all of the varieties. I've tried the Felidae but I must have the pickiest kitties on earth. To a cat they turned their noses up at it.

I'm going to check some prices out. Thanks Helene4

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helene4 View Post
Do you know of any other can dog food suitable for cats?
There is also Innova Evo 95% meats that is the same in both the dog and cat version, although since the cat version comes in the larger 13oz size, I'm not sure if there would be any cost savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
I was told there is not enough taurine in the dog food, but ok for once in a while.
Depends on which dog food you're talking about. Generally, that would be true (and it's not just about the taurine, but possibly other ingredients and nutrient ratios as well), but in the case of Nature's Variety and Innova Evo, the dog and cat formulas are exactly the same (including the taurine content).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

The selection in large cans for cats is very limited, (I've found Felidae and Wellness). I will try the evo and NV then, cause I would like to use some variety with our kitty.
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:18 PM
chronically insane.

I often use dog food cans for cats. I have taurine capsules at home and a big huge jar of them was super cheap, so I just sprinkle some on the dog food and call it even. I don't normally specifically BUY canned dog food, but the store I work at often gives away free dog food samples (very rarely cat food samples) so I will take the free dog food and use it for the cats.

The dog food that I will buy for the cats is usually Evangers because they have a large selection of extremely affordable canned foods with low grains.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Merrick Before Grain 96% meats is also the same for both cats and dogs, the "dog" one available in the 13oz size while the "cat" one isn't.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh ya, Precise is a pretty decent food that comes in the 13oz size (might be hard to find though), as well as Eagle Pack Holistic Select.

Old March 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Wow, I would have never thought they'd be the same! Are the percentages of nutrients the same too? I think I may have to switch foods..I think Nino may be having a reaction to the Blue brand.

If I can use the dog Natural Instinct for the cats and the dog that would be awesome!! With 4 cats, those little cans are a pain in the butt! Natural Instinct comes in the 13 oz cans.
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
Are the percentages of nutrients the same too?
Yup, exactly the same:
http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/cat/can/chicken
http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/dog/can/chicken

Old March 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone for the great info. As I have 2 dogs and 1 cat eating canned food, I will try NV Instinct dog and share it between them. It will be a lot fresher esp for the cat now. So many flavours too.
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM

It's good to know EVO 95% and Merrick Before Grain are also the same for cats and dogs. I already feed my 2 girls Wellness, EVO , Eagle Pack and NVI as well as homemade raw with added taurine. I'm looking to add Almo (as a treat), Merrick Before Grain, Go!Natural and Fromm Four-Star to their repertoire. They don't like beef or venison so I have to stick to chicken/turkey/duck/rabbit. I mainly have to buy my cans online so I might have more website stores to choose from if I can get the dog formula in large cans. And it's true that the small cans get emptied fast around here... Jadzia has a normal appetite but Kira cannot stand to see an empty bowl
Thanks everyone!
Old March 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

WoW,that's interesting,I don't have a dog,but for some reason I always thought dog-food is not good for cats...
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:25 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
WoW,that's interesting,I don't have a dog,but for some reason I always thought dog-food is not good for cats...
Only if it is missing stuff like Taurine or has something in it cats shouldn't eat.. off the top of my head I can't think of anything dogs can eat that cats couldn't.. but for things like dry food it's best to stick with cat food for cats, but canned food for dogs is often fine for cats.. especially as a treat for my guys since they have SO many more interesting flavours of dog food than cat!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
off the top of my head I can't think of anything dogs can eat that cats couldn't..
A great many of the canned dog foods have too much vegetable matter, IMO. But for occasional feeding, it probably isn't a big deal.