Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World > Pure Inspiration - Happy tails

Old July 13th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Pet Guardian

Video: Meet Chili

Meet Chili, a Calgary Stampede SuperDog!

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/cal...06/index.html#
(The link to the video is on the right hand side of the page in the "featured video" section.)

I'm not sure how long this link will be active (aka, linking to this video) so hurry hurry hurry!!

Melissa
PS: I was at the Stampede on Monday but didn't go see the Superdogs. I am returning on Saturday, so I will go see them at that time!
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Very cute man is Chili fast
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM

Cute... Did she say she shaves him to make him even faster? I mean I know he's a hairless, but I swear she stuck that in... Am I hearing wrong?
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought she was saying she shaves him as a joke. She also said she has 5 other big dogs and Chile rules!
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Pet Guardian

I thought she said she shaves him, too... but I'm not sure. Maybe she meant just the patch on top his head?? Or maybe she was saying that *because* he has no hair, he goes faster? I'll try again and see. Edited to add: she said "he's like a swimmer who shaves everything off, it makes him more aerodynamic."

I was at the Superdogs yesterday... and frankly was a little disappointed. Some years they're really good, this year, it was really not very good, IMO. Anyone else have a chance to see them (anywhere) this year? There weren't very many dogs, they didn't do much (no relay races which are really the funnest thing, with all the dogs running around) and the big highlight of the show was a 12 (??) yr old girl pulled out of the audience who shook her barely-there boobs through the weave poles. I was actually embarassed to be looking at her.

Chili was cute though!
They also had a large Spanish (I think) sight hound of some sort who could *really* jump high, but they didn't say what breed he was, just that he was a large spanish sight hound. I'll have to look it up. He was pretty cool.

Melissa

PS: Link is no longer active. However, you can find it at Videos (if you scroll down, pick the pull-down menu for Global Calgary and then click the Superdogs video)

Last edited by dogmelissa; July 16th, 2006 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Note about Chili + new link
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM

She doesn't shave Chili, he's a mexican hairless. You can see them in local (Ontario) agility trials as well (which are much more interesting than the superdogs, in my opinion....) The spanish sighthound is also hers, I think - Leap, an Ibizan hound (he was white with red spots, right? with big upright ears?)

I believe most, if not all, of her dogs are rescues...
Old July 16th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Some more pictures of Chili from an agility trial this summer

Chili runs at the masters level, the highest level of AAC competitions.
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Pet Guardian

I agree that the Superdogs aren't very entertaining. I suppose they might be if they didn't do 4 shows a day X 10 days at the Stampede, maybe the dogs wouldn't be so bored and the guardians so tired. There have been years though, that I've seen them in the same venue and it was really entertaining, even on the last or second last day. I guess their concept this year just sucked.

Yes, the large hound I'm thinking of was white with red or reddish spots. He/she looked like a bit of a cross between a Great Dane and a Greyhound. My bf said "it must be a Grey Dane" which I thought was cute. I will look up more on the Ibizan hound and make sure that was him.

Chili is awesome, I'm very impressed with him. And today I saw a Teacup Chihuahua at the dog park. I'm not sure if this is a real breed or just that this dog was extremely tiny, but she sure was cute. Not sure how I feel about hairless dogs, though. They kinda freak me out a little, the same way the sphinx cats do. It just doesn't seem right.

They do say that more than 40% of the Superdogs are rescues/come from shelters, etc. However, a different training facility here in town (we're lucky to have Superdog Spectrum) offers a discount on training if you can provide a receipt showing that your dog was adopted from a certified shelter or rescue. Superdogs do not. I just wish that my dog hadn't been rescued directly so I could get that discount. I'm not sure if I want to pay $150 for 8 weeks of agility training when I don't even know if he'll like it or have any success at it. Wonder if they'll let me try one first... ? Hmmmmmm

Anyhow... going outside!
Melissa