Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:46 AM

is my dog pregnant or sick? any advice?

i think my dog is pregnant, she would be about 3-4 weeks now but i cant be sure the exact date. i havent taken her to the vet yet, because i was waiting for maybe a few more signs, or just a little more time so the vet would actually be able to tell if she really is pregnant. anyways. now shes been puking and having diahrea the past 3 days. (if i didnt think that she was pregnant i would think it was a big problem, and wouldnt b posting this.) my question is..is puking and diahrea normal in pregnancy? the first day she was drinking and eating normally, puking a few minutes afterwards though. the second day she only wanted water. but today, she doesnt want to eat or drink anything. she has diahrea about 4-5 times a day. i feel so bad for her, i can tell she doesnt feel well and she doesnt mean to be making messes. but when its over she acts normal, happy and wanting to play. should i be seriously concerned, or just pass it off as normal pregnancy symptoms...and if she is pregnant, when should i take her to the vet to be checked out?? asap?? by the way, shes a pitbull mix, shes got all her shots, this was her first heat, shes 9 months old. her nipples are bigger and she wants a lot more attention lately. any comments or advice would be so helpful...thanks so much
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes you should be seriously concerned. Those symptoms are bad and not normal even in a pregnant animal. Your dog needs to see a vet immediately.

Puking, diarrhea, not eating or drinking are VERY serious symptoms.

And if you feel your animal is pregnant you need to see a vet IMMEDIATELY, not wait.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Just a few facts:

Your dog is a dog; not a human. You can not put human signs of pregnancy on a dog. It doesn't work that way.

Your dog is still a puppy. Far too young to even consider having a litter of pups.

Every time she vomits or has diarrhea she is losing precious bodily fluids. These fluids are essential in keeping her alive. Never mind a developing litter of puppies.

She probably wants the extra attention lately because she is sick, not because she is feeling any maternal urgings.

I beg you to please take your baby to your vet.
After coming back please take the time to read some of the links in the following thread.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59820

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:57 AM

Please take your girl to the vet ASAP! My dog (male) experienced these exact same symptoms a month or so ago for only one night and spent two days hooked to an IV at the vet, he would have died without the intervention. Like your dog, he seemed extremely ill one moment but then tried to play at the vet's office, wagging his tail like nothing happened. Your girl is probably severely dehydrated at this point from the diarrhea. After you take her to the vet, please pick up a good veterinary guide (from the library even if you are short of funds) and educate yourself about dogs and illness. There is nothing normal about this behaviour, pregnancy or not.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Contributor

You dog needs to see a vet ASAP! Even if she is not pregnant these are serious signs and she will quickly become dehydrated if she is not already. She is far too young to be having a litter of pups even if she is healthy. You should seriously consider discussing with the vet about having her spayed and her pups aborted if she is pregnant. This young girl does not deserve to be treated this way. Sorry to say this to you. Please see a vet, your dog deserves that much.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:22 AM

please take your dog to a vet asap!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:21 AM

and fix your dog
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,
Ford
Closed Thread