Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old June 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

How Do I Protect My Pit Bulls??

I am moving from the country into town. So now I will have to walk my dogs in public on a daily basis. My question is:
How will I protect my muzzled dogs from loose dogs on the street??? It's bad enough my Zoe has fear aggression problems, but if she is leashed and a dog is loose, it will make it much worse for her.
I wouldn't want to hurt another dog, but at the same time I have to do what I can to protect mine - afterall, they will be blamed just for their existence!
Would pepper spray seriously injure a dog? I want protection, but I don't want to hurt the other dog unless it is aggressively attacking!
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

How about a tazer? Just kidding, that's a really bad joke. In all seriousness, I'm not sure what you can do to protect the pups. I would think there should be some kind of spray that won't harm a dog, but will deter it.
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Some people carry air-horns to scare off loose dogs. You might need to get yours used to it first though.
There is also a product called Direct Stop that I've herad works well. Its made with citronella so it isn't harmful like pepper spray.
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:59 PM

i have been approached/attacked by more dogs out on country roads than I have in the city (except of course for off leash parks, which you shouldn't be in anyway with a leashed/muzzled dog).
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Its made with citronella so it isn't harmful like pepper spray.
How is pepper spray harmful??? Just a question. Meik has gotten sprayed by the Hydro Meter Reader ( the old one) on more than one occasion!! I was peeved but still he survived!
I didnt know it was harmful

As far as protecting your pits... I have no idea??? They are so vaunerable now. Depending on how the residence of the town are, I dont think there would be much of a problem ( if they keep on leash or not) I too meet up with more un leashed dogs walking in the back roads here. Country mentality, farm dogs "dont get hurt"
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I wouldn't want to hurt another dog, but at the same time I have to do what I can to protect mine - afterall, they will be blamed just for their existence!
I agree with you. I don't want to hurt any animals either, but really it's the owners of the other dogs who are hurting them by letting them run loose. Do whatever you have to in order to protect Zoe. Maybe bear spray?
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom
I am moving from the country into town. So now I will have to walk my dogs in public on a daily basis. My question is:
How will I protect my muzzled dogs from loose dogs on the street???
Now this is the sad thing. You sort of really can't. I have encountered two loose dogs around here, but no idiot owners. The dogs that walk off leash are stuck at their owners side and have never come across the street. I guess we're lucky......The rest of them around my house are pretty good with walking with leashes......

Air horn would work great, but might scare the pants off of your dogs....

Could always walk with a group of dogs too. That's what we do sometimes, walk with two other dogs.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:59 AM

what about just a squirt bottle with water?
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:00 AM

I'm sorry you have to move I hope you have a fenced yard to play in. You can get a spray or a horn or a baseball bat for that matter but the truth is walking a muzzled dog who doesn't deserve it in an area with a large population of dogs in this climate of hatred will never truly be enjoyable for you and your pet. It isn't just the loose dogs you have to worry about lots of times it will be the insane owners. Even muzzled pitbulls are often considered public enemy number 1. Bring a cell with a camera.

Last edited by Dukieboy; June 13th, 2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Pepper spray is your best bet . Capsaicin{the heat in the pepper} tinture ,in a low dose is used as a natural remedy to treat cataracts so other than being painful for a short term there should be no permanent harm of the higher amounts used in pepper spray.
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM

A nice little slingshot may be worth taking with you as well.
Old June 14th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Raingirl always take your phone and if it happens to have a camera great. Of course your dog would be to blame it is one of those vicious pits that would beat you to death with his tail. But seriously you will be the one who is blamed even if your dog does nothing but take pepper spray you must protect your dog and yourself. If these dogs are not on leashes that is the owners problem and start reporting them anonomusly(sp) and if any dog gets in your dogs face document the incidents and report them at least you willl be on file and if anything does ever happen. Which I hope never does. I hope things go well with the move.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl
There is also a product called Direct Stop that I've herad works well. Its made with citronella so it isn't harmful like pepper spray.
Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. I just meant that some people prefer the Direct Stop stuff as it doesn't carry the risk of respitory distress. I'm certainly not saying that if it came down to it I wouldn't use pepper spray, but it's good to have other options.
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:54 AM
The demons' servant

Please no one kill me for this....

A short whip would work (NOT ON THE DOGS). Crack it in the air and it makes a loud sound that would frighten the dog (usually anyway) away AND it would get the owner's attention! All you need is one long enough to make a nice "wacking" sound without it being long enough that the owner's all "oh you hit my dog with that!"....

If anyone does call you on it just ask them if they see any "whip" marks on the dog (which there wouldn't be) and randomly demonstrate your skills! Scare the owner too! hehehe (I can be evil when I want to be )

Or you could do the airhorn thing....but its so much cooler with a whip....

Megan

P.S. or you could just totally ignore my suggestion....
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
A short whip would work
I'm trying to picture myself walking down the street, leash in one hand and whip (or airhorn or baseball bat) in the other.

I've been thinking a cane might be good. After all many people use them and it's not so conspicuous.

The various sprays might work well, but I would just be worried about spraying my own dog in the face.

And yes - definitely a cell phone. In most places there is a leash law, so you can call right away and report off leash dogs. A few fines might hammer the point into those thick heads.
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
I'm trying to picture myself walking down the street, leash in one hand and whip (or airhorn or baseball bat) in the other.
Don't forget the leather outfit like Xena has or something...it could work...really.. At the very least you might scare the owners and they definately wouldn't bother you and would probably call their dogs back immediately! That would solve the REAL problem behind it

Camera phones are really pretty! And they take decent photos nowadays too! If you don't have a camera phone you could take a digicam maybe? My friend carries one in his pouch all the time so its pretty safe.

Megan
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:57 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Thanks for the help all!

My cell doesn't have a camera - and besides it would be really hard to take a pic and hang on to 2 Pit bulls all at the same time! Plus not to mention aiming and taking the pics, my first instinct will be to protect my kids - not take pics! Although if the dog is a distance, i could use a pic to identify him later on. I was thinking for sure of pepper spray - I just don't want to injure the other dog seriously - just enough to make him run away!

And the whip thing...................people would REALLY think I'm a freak!!! 2 Pit Bulls and a whip! LOL What a sight!

Airhorn - would most likely scare the bejeepers out of both dogs! Copper is quite cool when it comes to most situations, but my little Zoe scares easily - and being leashed and muzzled doesn't help her in anyway!
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom

And the whip thing...................people would REALLY think I'm a freak!!! 2 Pit Bulls and a whip! LOL What a sight!

(
Add a goalie mask and You'd have the streets to yourself !!
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's Copper's Mom - all ready to go dog walking.

Not funny, I know - but sometimes if we don't laugh we'll cry.
Attached Images

Old June 15th, 2006, 08:22 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
Here's Copper's Mom - all ready to go dog walking.

Not funny, I know - but sometimes if we don't laugh we'll cry.
LOL! I wish I had curves like that!!! lol And with heels like that, I'd break my neck!!
Too funny LR!! thanks!

BTW, I love your new avatar!!!!!

Quote:
Add a goalie mask and You'd have the streets to yourself !!
I would probably be arrested walking down the street like that.............with or without the mask!!
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL now that site would give Simcoe something to talk about for a very, very long time LOL
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Don't forget your tazer!