Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 18th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Owned by goldens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou
Hey Scorp 1! If you check out the Wellness website, they will give you a store closest to you that sells their product. It is sold here in Quebec; they simply put a french sticker on it.

I sell it at my grooming shop in St. Bruno- 30lbs Supermix Chicken for $57.99. Definitely more expensive than Kirkland, but it's the best your money can buy. I have 3 dogs, 2 are large breeds; a 70lb xlab, a rottweiller and a 25lb xsheltie. A 30 lb bag will last me almost 3 weeks. Not bad considering! They eat much less on a superior quality food such as Wellness - less than 3 cups a day each (excluding the little one), and they aren't skinny!

As for my cats, I can't afford to feed them Wellness, so I do feed them Kirkland (I have seven). I do supplement them in the evening with about 1/4 cup each of Wellness canned and I haven't had any health problems in years (knock on wood!!!).
Do you sell Solid Gold too?
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Owned by goldens

Kirkland

I received an e-mail yesterday that said the recall had been extended to Kirkland and Chicken Soup. Don't know if there is any truth to this but I wouldn't take a chance.

I know someone whose son works at Costco. They are well aware of the recalls here in Canada and have received memos to that effect. I wonder why they would receive memos if it does not affect the Canadian food.

Old January 19th, 2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle
I received an e-mail yesterday that said the recall had been extended to Kirkland and Chicken Soup. Don't know if there is any truth to this but I wouldn't take a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Here's the answer I got from Costco about their Kirkland brand food and the recall:

"Good morning Vicky,

The recent recall by Diamond foods does not affect the Kirkland
Signature Canadian Dog Food. Our dog food is manufactured in different
plants and is subject to more detailed testing and specifications due to
extensive safety laws in Canada.

Thank you,
Jennifer M. Bennett
Costco Wholesale Canada
(I removed the contact information, just in case)"
Who do we believe?! I'm glad my doggies are on Solid Gold... (knock on wood)
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Again, it could be that it was recalled only in the States. If it was recalled here in Canada, wouldn't they have pulled it off the shelves?

I'm just looking for validation because I have a brand new, unopened 40lb bag in my pantry.
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Not-so-senior member

It was not recalled in the states. My dogs took a hiatus from it because of emails like that one---the rumors started flying. If you're concerned, check your labels against the recall codes and dates that I posted in a paste job from the diamond site. It's not like ALL of their food was affected for an indefinite period of time--even the affected diamond foods can be used if you verify the dates & codes on the labels....

Quote:
Testing of more than 2,700 finished product samples conducted by independent laboratories confirms that only Diamond Maintenance Dog and Diamond Premium Adult Dog with "Best By" dates of April 3, April 4, April 5, and April 11, 2007, are potentially toxic. These products also will have a capital "G" (in reference to the company's Gaston, S.C., facility) in the 11th or 12th position of the date code (18 lb. to 55 lb. bags). The capital "G" will be in the 9th position on smaller 4 lb. to 8 lb. bags.

Test results for all other products have not been toxic.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:27 AM

HEY! I just realized something! If you buy it at Costco, they will notify you if it's recalled. My Christmas lights were recalled and I got two notification cards in the mail pretty soon after they were recalled. They have your address and info in your membership file and they have every purchase you have ever made on file too. Maybe you could call member services and ask if there are any recalls on your account. Does that help anybody?
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:51 AM

UPDATE:

So i've been feeding Max the Costco Signature Kirkland Brand (Lamb and Rice) for the last few months and he has gotten FAT. I tried to switch it to the chicken and rice and he just wouldn't have it....Didn't touch his food for 3 days. I also notice that he is not as peppy as before. Seems exhausted.

I need a new option. Any suggestions?
I can't afford the best type of food but something reasonably priced and still healthy for Max.

He is over 90 lbs. Doberman mix, now 5 years old.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Honest Contributor

you could buy any of the premium holistic foods, they cost less to feed... mix in canned green beans or fish to break up the calorie-rich grains... or just get a grain-free kibble and mix in some brown rice drizzled with olive oil, that you cook yourselft once a week... you would not feed alot and your dog would be so much healthier. give raw chicken backs or legs a few days per week to see a drop in weight & an increase in muscle tone, coat, energy level and see smaller poops. there are many alternatives to feeding a cheap or mid-range kibble - good luck!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Personally, I'd get the Wolf King... I know you think it's expensive, but the difference is not that huge. I mean I feed Boo 2.5-3 cups a day and he's 87lbs. It's $67 for 33lbs plus tax and with my two doggies a bag lasts almost a month. Maybe you could just try it for a while? Nothing is permanent... I mean a couple of months...

But for cheapy foods, Kirkland is as good as it gets. After Kirkland, the price jumps to $60+ a bag.

Oh wait, somebody said Canidae was cheaper? Around $56? Maybe... It was either that or Nutro. I'm not sure which it was.
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Prin,

where can I get a big bag of Wolf King?

$67!!!!!!!

he's my baby....I have no choice but to give in
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I have no choice but to give in
no true... you DO have alternate feeding choices available to you if you stepped off the beaten path of Dry Bagged Grains

Old May 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Well, there's le Reveil du Maitre on St-Laurent, just below little Italy, or there's a few Croq en Bol stores around. Croq is a bit more expensive though.

Le Reveil has a lot of other great holistic foods too, so you might find something cheaper that's still good...
http://www.lereveildumaitre.com/
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM

umm...there's a girly in a see-thru shirt on the contact page! How are they marketing their dog food??

These things can only happen in Quebec!
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM

LOL Knowing Qc, she's probably the president.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:07 PM

they forgot to put an address on their site... I wonder what distracted them.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
no true... you DO have alternate feeding choices available to you if you stepped off the beaten path of Dry Bagged Grains
You're right technodoll, but i can't touch raw meat. I'd be disinfecting everything until javex became my trademark perfume.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Honest Contributor

OMG that is hilarious! WTHeck? LOL

Old May 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM

No, no, the address is here: http://www.lereveildumaitre.com/boutiques.php
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM

....I have issues...enough said.

I found their address on a hidden link on the front page.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin

Oh wait, somebody said Canidae was cheaper? Around $56? Maybe... It was either that or Nutro. I'm not sure which it was.
Hi guys,
Yes, Canidae is 57$ for the 40 lb bag. For my 2 dogs it lasts about a month as well. I feed my 80 lb guy about 3 cups a day and my 45 lb puppy about 2 1/2 cups... they are both extremely active. I also supplement with some canned Canidae, also yogurt, and chicken backs, legs, and other rmbs.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Honest Contributor

[QUOTE]but i can't touch raw meat. I'd be disinfecting everything until javex became my trademark perfume[QUOTE]
yikes!
so you are vegetarian then at your house?... i don't even like meat but yet i eat it, how does that happen? ah yes... the man likes it... sigh!
i was more thinking along the lines of home-cooking for your doggy, or at least supplementing his dry food with it to cut costs and improve his condition...
good luck with finding a better food & let us know how it goes!

Old May 17th, 2006, 01:29 PM

I'm not a vegetarian, no. But hubby handles cooking the meat end of dinner.

I think i'll try the wolf king instead of canidae since the difference is $10.00

Let's see what happens.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:34 PM

good luck with your choice, it's a great food. Just wanted to point out that the canidae is 10$ cheaper but also you get 7 more lbs of it too... it works out to a larger difference. It lasts only a month for me because I have puppies that eat more than adults do of the same weight.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:37 AM

Catsnatcher, I'm with you on the meat. If I ever had to feed something other than kibble or canned, I'd have to cook, because the thought of them eating E. coli and salmonella and then drooling all over just freaks me out. Sure, we'd build up a resistance to it after a while, but before that...
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Honest Contributor

prin, i'll be nice cuz i like you but please, you should not be talking about stuff you know nothing about. until you feed raw, or personally know people who do, you are only surfing on & propagating myths. people here respect what you have to say in regards to dog food, so it would be nice of you to not disrespect "other methods of feeding" just because *you* are not willing to investigate it. and by investigating, i mean actually talking to raw feeders personally, trying it out for yourself, and not just googling for misinformation. you are not doing anyone any favors by doing this.
kay?

Old May 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM

K, I'll rephrase... The thought of my dog eating bacteria and then walking around slobbery, even though most of the bacteria is likely to be gone freaks me out. But then I use a meat thermometer when I cook any meat and even then, sometimes I nuke it for a minute to be sure. So I'm unusually anal about bacteria (in a not-so-normal sort of way). Is that better?

If it doesn't bug you to handle raw meat, then no worries!
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Honest Contributor

yes, much better thank you

i used to be squeamish, but you get over it with practice if you set your mind to it... and i rarely eat meat myself, the concept isn't too pleasant, LOL! After two years of having my hands on raw meat, with splatters on the floor, in my fridge, on my clothes and once, while whacking up a bunch of raw chicken legs, a bit flew in my open mouth, yuck! and another time, in my eye! double-yuck! i thought OH my GAWD i'm going to be sick...but no... not once in two years has anybody gotten sick. Ever. After a while you start to relax and realise that bacteria is everywhere (you track it in from outside on your shoes, you drag it out of the bathroom, it's everywhere, LOL) and as long as you keep basic hygiene practices alive, the bugs are not out to get you

and yes, my girl will often come over to give me kisses (she loves to lick my chin & mouth!) just after she chomped on some raw pork ribs or some goat pieces, both dogs slobber all over the place, they sneeze, the sometimes puke on the carpet, etc, it's all part of life... i can't let that stop me from feeding them what mother nature intended, well that's just crazy little me, LOL! IMO you catch more viruses, colds and bacteria from a kindergarden

Old May 18th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
while whacking up a bunch of raw chicken legs, a bit flew in my open mouth, yuck! and another time, in my eye! double-yuck!
OMG! If this happened to me, I'd have a thermometer lodged in my *** 24/7, tracking subtle changes!!!!

I'm going to reveilmatin this weekend for my first bag of wolf king.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:11 PM

lol I'd be "scoping" or "listerining" for hours, until all the skin in my mouth is so fried that I am sure the bacteria must be too.

But yeah, I suppose you get used to it.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:22 PM
-

I also would be scared of the bacteria thing and also, I'd be afraid I wouldn't get the proper balance of everything.

It's funny how time has changed man's way of thinking. Fifty years ago dogs were fed crap dog food and whatever was left over from man's dinner. And now we're making meals specifically for our pets.