Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 11th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I Love My Mini's

I need some advise soon. Thanks!!!!

My new female puppy that we're to pic up next weekend has a bump on her stomach and the owner of the dog said she's taking her to the vet this weekend, but I wanted to ask all of you for you opinions, in the pic it the lump by the hair line, the lady thinks it a hernia from talking to a vet over the phone, i know this is really not life threating, but I eant to breed her and I dont want to get her if there's any questions if she can have puppies or not, she has another female I can get from her, but I've fallen in love with this one already, but like I said I want to breed them.

Please any information you can give me let me know, do I get this one and will there be a risk or do I get the other female thats fine.

I've heard sometimes they fix them selves and sometimes they need surgery, the lady told me that you can push on it and it does not her the puppy and she act 100% fine.

Thanks Tim

Old April 11th, 2008, 06:41 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I don't mean this to sound nasty, i'm wondering if you have any experience breeding dogs. Which is more important to you, the love of the pup, or the money you think you're going to make. Just so you know the only one who makes any money breeding is the owner of the male. Pls reconsider breeding the little one, leave it to the professionals. There are soooo many dogs. in shelters right now looking for a home.

I just bumped a post back to the front page i would really like you to read. Its called my name is sam, pls read it...

Last edited by aslan; April 11th, 2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

All I can say is take her to a vet.

Before you consider breeding this little sweetie, take a tour of your local shelters to see all the unwanted dogs and then ask yourself if you would like to contribute to the overpopulation of dogs and cats.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
I just bumped a post back to the front page i would really like you to read. Its called my name is sam, pls read it...

Good reading, think all should read before allowing their pets breed.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I Love My Mini's

i dont see the post????????? about sam
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

it's bumped back up to the top now....
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Here is a link:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15343

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 11th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

A hernia is something that needs to be surgically repaired and usually will not have any lasting affects, But what kind of pup is it? Are you a registered breeder? Are you going to do all the health testing for hips, eyes, knees etc. Is the male coming from a breeder? Did you see the Oprah show about puppy mills. There are millions of dogs in Canada and the US that are homeless. If you breed these dogs are you going to make the buyers sign a contract stating that if they for any reason cannot keep the dog that it must be returned to you and nobody else. Reputable breeders do this as a standard part of there purchase agreements. With all that said if you are hoping to make money off this you will be sadly disappointed when you realize the cost of breeding shots, worming and food and other things that can pop up while they are with you. Breeding is very expensive and can be dangerous to your female if you are not experienced you may need to have a vet standing by for the birth. My opinion get the hernia fixed and have her spayed at the same time and this will also help her to avoid breast cancer.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I Love My Mini's

I agree with you all 100% and I've decided now that its not the right time for me to breed these Dachunds, I have a male now and I'm going to still get this female, because I can give her a great home with a lot of love, so for now the breeding is on hold tell I can get all the info I can get, I wasnt planning on breeding her tell she was 2 anyways, but when I get her, she'll get spayed and the hernia will get fixed at the same time with no extra charge since there in there already. Thanks everyone and feel free to keep the comments coming

I've gone to the shelters around me and no one has Dashunds and if they do, their 6 years old and up and they want almost $200 for them, and I can get this pup for $300 now. the lady lowered the price since she wont be able to breed.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:35 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Amen...thank you for reading the info and being open minded enough to reconsider your decision.

Though I can understand you not wanting a six year old dog, $200 for a dog that is already s/n and vet checked/vaccinated is really not that much, all things considered.

Your puppy is very cute and I hope that both surgeries go well and then she brings you many years of happiness.

Will you be neuterting your male, if he is not already?

Good luck and many more pics as they become available.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I Love My Mini's

the male at this time is not nuetered, he is six months old and i'm still debating whether or not too
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh thank you for listening. All the unwanted pets in the shelter thank you too!

Getting your pet fixed will eliminate possible future health issues! Always good to get them fixed. Maybe you can have a chat with your vet about it.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I Love My Mini's

I'll do that, Thanks for helping me to not make a BIG MISTAKE
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Please do NOT breed your Dachshunds ever. It is hard enough to get a Dachshund from a very reputable breeder with years of breeding experience who will not suffer from the dreaded Dachshund neck/back disc disease without starting to breed your own at home. Disc disease can present as early as 1 year or throughout life. And there is no such thing as a guarantee that your Dachshunds will not suffer from this - despite the lines that your dogs come from. I hope your pups will not suffer from this - if they do, I know all of the options and all about the surgery.
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohnson View Post
the male at this time is not nuetered, he is six months old and i'm still debating whether or not too

If you want to avoid marking behaviours in your dog, now is the perfect time to have him neutered. Good for you in deciding not to breed.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM
-

yay ty for reconsidering. I hope all goes well with your new little one. have you chosen a name for her yet.
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM
-

If you're still not sure , please take a look here :

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I Love My Mini's

I've been thinking about this hard and I've to decided to get them both fixed and yes her name is Daisy and she's the one in my avatar, I also have pic of Bear the male in my profile. thanks again, also I've heard about the back problems they can have, I've resaerched them a lot and we've got steps for him to go up onto the bed and the couch and he's on a strict diet, which I recieved from my vet, he also owns a Daschund
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM
-

Brohnson on a dark stormy yucky day, your now a ray of sunshine. I'm so pleased with your choice, and in future bear and daisy will thank you too. By living longer healthier lives.
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I Love My Mini's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
If you're still not sure , please take a look here :

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx
Thanks for that, how sad and when you see the numbers I could not believe that
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I Love My Mini's

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Brohnson on a dark stormy yucky day, your now a ray of sunshine. I'm so pleased with your choice, and in future bear and daisy will thank you too. By living longer healthier lives.
Ineed to Thank You for opening my eyes, I'm sad glad I found this forum
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM
-

we're glad you found us too, and omg i know frenchy's post was soooo sad and the sam story had me bawling my eyes out. I too own a purebred who we had considered breeding and i do have experience. After learning some of the statistic, etc. He is being snipped tooo.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad you have seen the light. Especially since you have Dachshunds they are very hard to breed as Snowdancer had stated. Breeding her could have been deadly to her. Yeah for you ana your babies
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM

great job, members

to all who gave brohnson such sage advice - great job, you guys - thanks to you, this story gets a happy ending! that little puppy is adorable, isn't she? she'll make a great addition to your family, brohnson! you won't be sorry you chose not to breed.

tracy
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
-

I'm also glad you have decided to get them spayed and neutered.

I would have posted the link that Frenchy posted.....it is indeed a sad video to watch. :sad: Here is some more information....

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder3.html

Looking forward to seeing lots of pics of Bear and Daisy in the Pet Photo Forum here.
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSEDRY View Post
to all who gave brohnson such sage advice - great job, you guys - thanks to you, this story gets a happy ending! that little puppy is adorable, isn't she? she'll make a great addition to your family, brohnson! you won't be sorry you chose not to breed.

tracy
She is just adorable isn't she, she has this look like " comeon you know you wanna give me smooches".
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so happy to read this thread, I almost fainted!

Hernias can be heritedary. Yet another reason to get the lovely Miss Daisy fixed.

All I can say is I am so happy that you have decided not to breed at this time! If it is something that you have your heart set on doing in the future, your best bet would be to find yourself a mentor in the breed. Not the breeder you are getting Daisy from - find someone who breeds, shows, does genetic testing and is active in more then just the conformation side of the breed.

Brohnson - Thank you so much for posting and reading the responses with an open mind. It really is something so rarely done.
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I need some

I recently took in a poodle into rescue and one of the main reasons she was given up is she also has an umbelical hernia which I have to keep an eye until she's healthy enough to get spayed. My vet advised that if I notice any discomfort in her abdonimal area such as walking rigidly or tucking up her torso then to rush her in and they will repair the hernia right away as apparently her guts can get caught in the opening of the hernia.
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
apparently her guts can get caught in the opening of the hernia.
When I adopted my second cat (years ago) he did have one and vet told me the same thing. The kitty was too young to have surgery (neutering) and vet told me to push the hernia back in once in a while until I could get him neutered. I wouldn't advise anyone to do this , it was years ago , small kitty , don't know if they would still advise to do this , and might not work for a dog.

brohnson , I'm very glad you changed your mind
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Great news - even my husband who does not follow pets.ca is greatly relieved. And I have to tell you that Dachshunds who are meant to breed - from very experienced breeders cost a LOT more than companion pets - $300 is a very good price for a companion pet. In Canada at companion Dachshund usually costs about $600 and that can be from a BYB.