Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Puppy freaking on daughter

Hi all Im not sure what to do. My daughter is 2 and whenever she pets out puppy who is almost 4 mths while he is sleeping he freaks out. She is gentle, I made sure I was holding him and was peeting him myself when she pet him today and he growled and bit the heck out of my hand. He litterally flips out. This isnt anything new either. Its not possible to have my dd stay away from him while he is sleeping so I need to know if its dog aggressing/ puppy thing or if he can be trained. He is a beagle/hound. We got him because the breed is supposed to be good for families. Thanks for reading!
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

can he maybe be trained to sleep in his crate? ( if he has a crate)..until ure daugher can learn to leave him alone while he sleeps?

I dont know about training him to stop 'flipping out' when he is woken....but hopefully other members will have insight.
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Papa D

hi

first of all we need pics of the puppy

does the puppy only do this when you are there or does this happen also when another adult is supervising your daughter and the pup?

if its only when you are there,the pup might think its protecting you.

has your daughter scared,chased or been rough with the pup?

hows the pups health?

my pup did this also.
with ours it was a combination of two things.
first was the protection of me and the second was as it turned out was an infection from her spay....so the combination of me being her so called protector and her not feeling well led too her aggression.

and our house has no small children.

can you sit and hold the pup and then have your daughter pet the pup for short periods and have her give a treat when there is no aggression.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Half Way To Crazy

whats the old saying leave sleeping dogs lie..
I have no idea if it is aggresion, but IMO if the puppy is sleeping just leave him alone he will wake on his own when there is movement around him or when it is time for him to wake up..
try and explain to your daughter that if the puppy does not get enough sleep he will become cranky..

if he sleeps in a crate just let him sleep in there it is a safe place for him, everyone and pups also need time to unwind..
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Preplanning makes success

This is making me think somewhat of some articles I was reading on deaf dogs. I wouldn't recommend your daughter does this, but if he's just being startled when he wakes up then it might be good to make a positive association.

Find a time when he's sleeping.
Wake him up by touching him, and pop a treat in his mouth as he wakes up. Then, he associates being "startled awake" with good things.

It's just hard to know if he conks out somewhere- someone could walk past him, trip over him, etc and trigger his startle- bite reflex, which is no good. Just a thought!

But until he startles awake is happy about it, I'd strongly suggest crating as well and talking to your daughter about not waking him.

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Thanks for your replies. Crating during the day didnt work out for us at all. Although he does do well at night he HATES it during the day. He does this no matter who is holding him. This time I was pettinghim as well as my daughter quietly to get him used to her while hes sleeping, he mistook my hand for hers. Since I posted this I have found him growling alot at her. Even while awake. Shes pretty good with him. No tail pulling or horse rides lol. The only time she pushes him is when he is biting at her clothing. I told her to push him off and say no bite.

She is also giving him treats and feeds him ( with my supervision) I thought it may help show the "pecking order" to him. I will mention it to our vet and also try the treat/ waking up idea. Thanks again.
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Papa D

good luck.....you may want too look into some training classes......beagles and hounds are very stubborn......i have been dealing wit that for 15 years now
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I would really try to discourage your daughter from approaching your pup while he's sleeping, and it would also be a good idea not to leave the two of them together unsupervised at this point. Here is a great website with info on kids and dogs that I highly recommend: http://www.Doggonesafe.com/dog%20bite%20prevention.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosbe View Post
The only time she pushes him is when he is biting at her clothing. I told her to push him off and say no bite.
I have my 3 year old daughter yelp or yell in a really loud voice, put her arms beside her and walk away ignoring Roxy. It has been working very well for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosbe View Post
She is also giving him treats and feeds him ( with my supervision) I thought it may help show the "pecking order" to him. I will mention it to our vet and also try the treat/ waking up idea. Thanks again.

That's exactly what I do. My daughter tells Roxy to sit and then puts her food down. I also get my daughter to play fetch with Roxy (with me right beside her) My daughter calls Roxy, tells her to sit and then throws the ball for her, Roxy get's it and brings it back and then my daughter chooses if she wants to keep playing with her or not. It's working so far, Roxy is listening to my daughter now instead of barking at her

I think it's important that your pup knows your daughter is higher ranking then him and that he has to listen to her. Good luck I know how hard it is.
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:22 PM
head in the clouds

hey my dog does this and has since he was a pup.. hes a healthy dog but if he's asleep and you were to brush past him or touch him he'll take your hand off... we're a lot older though its hard for toddler to grasp this lesson of "dont touch the doggy"

good luck!
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:30 AM

If the dog is sleeping let him sleep. My dog is the same way if he is on my lap he is protecting me noone can come up to me or him he will go to bite them....
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcq View Post
If the dog is sleeping let him sleep..

I have to agree.

You need to teach your daughter to just let him sleep.And yes this can be done.My first GSD was 4 when my daughter was born.And I taught her from the get go to leave him when he is sleeping.

Lets just say I get VERY cranky if I'm woken up...

Quote:
Find a time when he's sleeping.
Wake him up by touching him, and pop a treat in his mouth as he wakes up.
Sorry,but I have to dissagree with this...You never wake up a deaf dog by touching them.Their first reaction is to bite.And popping a treat in their mouth is not going to help.My moms westie went deaf,and she was told by her vet not to touch him while he is sleeping.To wake them up you need to stomp on the floor.They feel the vibrations and will wake up.

I have a cat that was born deaf.And he is a little on the aggressive side.He will freak out if you touch him,and yes he will bite.If he's on the couch,we will bang on the couch,he gets up.

Please,just let the pup sleep without being bugged.