Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM

How annoying is YOUR job? Let's share!

I work for an auto dealership. I work 8-5 with a half hour lunch. I was hired to be the receptionist in a new location for the dealership, as the old dirty one was closing down. They expanded into the new place by hiring a receptionist (me), a parts manager, a business manager, two more salesguys and two more mechanics.

My boss, a man who ran the old dealership for thirty years:
- Refuses to give up a lot of the responsibilities that the extra people were hired for.
- Refuses to adhere to the new procedures of doing things, goes over people's heads and therefore confuses everyone.
- When something goes wrong because he didn't follow procedure, mutters "too many cooks..." and storms off, angry.
- Gets PMS-like symptoms for a few days at a time, muttering under his breath and refusing to listen to explanations.

I, a smart and efficient Girl Friday hired to do all sorts of busywork:
- sit at my desk all day doing nothing but answer the phone. This is one of my few responsibilities.
- ask repeatedly for more work. The boss looks at me and tells me to find more people to buy cars.
- try hard to explain to the boss the way things would be most efficient, only to hear "too many cooks..." before an angry storm-off and ensuing PMS.
- cover up my boss's mistakes regularly, the mistakes that happen because he isn't following procedure.
- don't get credit for anything technological I do because the boss still lives in the ice age and doesn't understand computers (watching him send an email is like pulling teeth).
- spend my work hours shopping online, posting incessantly to forums, making lists and doing research that will organize my personal life, work on my photos (I'm a photog and installed photoshop on my work comp because I was so bored).
- am the ONLY woman in the building.

The worst part about it is that I need to be making more money. They promised me a raise at some point, but I don't feel right following up on it because I don't really actually DO much of anything.
The second worst part is that I'm SOOOOOO BOOOOORED.
The third worst part is that I can feel my ass getting bigger every day.

Anyone else got any Stuck-At-A-Crappy-Job stories? Misery loves company, you know.
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaekitty View Post
I work for an auto dealership.
me too.
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have a great boss, the pay sucks and it is boring compared to my last job, but Pets.ca keeps me occupied all day, lol. We can bring our pets into work on occasion, and take sick days when foster kittens need two hour feedings.

Whoops, guess I don't have too much to complain about, except money.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Remembering Lukka

I absolutely love, love, love my job, and you know what they say, "Love your job and you will never work a day in your life". So true
I work straight 3 - 11pm (wouldn't have it any other way), in a long term care facility and it is the best job on the planet.
Each night I get to put 12 - 15 residents into their jammies, clean them up, tuck them in with a kiss goodnight and a promise to see them tomorrow, and all is good.
Of course on the downside we always have at least one palliative maybe two palliative residents at any given time and saying goodbye to our patients that have lived for many years at the facility is so hard.
None of them are ever forgotten even though the bed is soon filled with someone else that needs to be put into their jammies, cleaned up, tucked in and kissed goodnight
The pay is good, but the real rewards are in hands on nursing
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I'm sorry, but I love my job.

I've been in a few positions in this company for the past 28 years, and there was one 10 year stint where I worked for the most horrible man. He had a horrible temper, treated women like crap. Just a real nasty piece of work.
I was determined however, that I started at the company first, so if anyone was leaving it would have to be him that left first.
He did get fired around 10 years ago, and I gotta tell you, I did the happy dance the day they did. It didn't quite make up for all the crap I had to put up with, but it sure did feel good that day.

Cindy
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm also happy with my job. My boss is very good to me but I have to admit, I'd like a pay raise. I haven't had one in over 2 years. I get a bonus every month, but I never know what it's going to be, and it mainly depends on how much we have in the bank at the end of the month. The only thing that really bugs me about my boss is when he says there's not a lot of money in the bank account. But that's because he pays himself about 20K every month!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Kitty pimp

Had a boss that wnet nuts when i swetpt the fllor from front to back insted of back to front and used to make "mistakes: on orders so he could see if i was paying attention oh yeah and he started bouncing my paycheck till tod him i woild call the cops on him
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Sorry, but I love my job too. Don't get me wrong, I came from a meduim pay high stress, lots of unpaid over time situation, working 10 hours a day...sucked. And to be completely honest, the day we started to try to have a baby, I walked out...of course, they gave me a package cuz things had been bad for a long time...life's too short to be miserable everyday, I was too young for that kinda stress...not thanks.

I had 2 months off and looked for the "perfect" job.

Now I make way better money, work 35 hours a week, with paid OT if preapproved cuz they dont want to over work you here, I am able to make calls and descision without being questioned (within reason fo course), I have an assitant and flex hours. My boss is 3 provinces away, she has critters so she understands when I need to focus on them, and she has a daughter who's trying to start a family, so she understand that too. I am just all around lucky. I work hard at what I do, I do a good job which allows me to be on pets.ca cuz I got my bases covered, haven't been stressed out in over a year.

If I had to complain, I'd like another weeks vacation.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

For $25 a week, I cook, clean, do laundry, vacuum, and make lunches, among other things.

I also get to groom, feed, clip nails, brush teeth, cuddle and play with 8 lovely furbabies. Sometimes I feel like I should be paying back that $25 for the privilege.

Sounds dreamy, aina hey?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:40 PM

4.5 yrs to retirement.... I'm counting each minute.
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I love my job too!! There are days I am not thrilled with it but it comes with the territory so I have to expect that. As you mostly all know, I am a Board certified pediatrician and hematologist who works primarily as an oncologist with privileges atone main regional hospital but I also work out of smaller hospitals across the three Maritime provinces where we hold clinics, now sometimes by video conference but I also have to travel to see patients as well. Mostly, they come to see me.

That is major part of my work but I also teach- which I love. I teach hematology, pediatrics and do oncology CME's (continued education for doctors in various specialties for the College of Physicians and Surgeons) and I do research - cancer research (in biotech because of my PhD in biochemistry (I did a combination MD-PhD) but I also study pharmacology and how it impacts children and help to lead a group of researchers (physicians, nurses and some psychologists) who are attempting to find the best pain medications for children and adolescents. I suppose I knew by going into hematology after I finished my Residency in peds that I would be involved with leukemia which I testify a lot on and write a lot about - but there are so many diseases in that field, especially now with HIV/AIDs that I find myself involved in new and challenging situations every day!

I LOVE the children I see, the families I work with and there are very few peple I work with I do not get along with. I represent the docs on our hospital board and so that is also interesting and keeps my interest in the politics of medicine engaged somewhat. I also serve on several national committees and have served in a number of countries with Doctors with out Borders because I feel the need to help other countries not as fortunate as Canada. My most recent experience was in helping children with cancer whose records had been lost during hurricane Katrina - I worked in Baton Rouge, La for a couple months to help that addition to St. Jude's Hospital diagnose those children from the beginning and get them back to where they should be.

The only thing I dislike about my work is the fact that children do die - even after we as a team have done as much as we can and more and I mourn the loss of every one of them. So that part if tough. However, I think one must be compassionate or should not be in this work.

I recommend medicine as a field of work to anyone! It's not perfect and no doctor is perfect and the hours are not great (tho more and more doctors work less hrs) so that is I suppose up to the individual. It also takes a lot of years of study plus you still need to like to study and learn once you are still working but fortunately I do so that's a good thing.

I really have very few complaints except I would like to see more progressive, directed and aggressive cancer research.
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Preplanning makes success

Okay- so the real question is: what do all you people DO for a living, and how do you find these stellar jobs?

I work in Tech Support for an ISP (I'd say who, but this could end badly for me eventually) I work 4-12 one month, 8-4 the next month (usually), with variable days off. My managers have flat out told me they don't care about what I have to say, and I can never get promoted, get a raise, or switch departments.

I have a BA in philosophy and I hate computers I'm trying to be philosophical about it

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Papa D

bet your glad you spent that big $$$ on a B.A......trades are the future imo.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:31 PM

I work in the courts... a straight 8:30 - 4:45 ...5 days a week... but..it's high stress... but in actuality... I'm a trained Opera Singer... I just do the other thing so that I could live in an apartment, eat, support my furries... you know, live! But, my heart is in singing...I don't do much opera anymore..but, I'm currently performing a one-woman show of Vera Lynn (WWII) favourites...it's a big hit with the seniors in residences.... they really love it. I'm definitely happy when I'm singing.... almost as much as when I'm hugging Bailey & Smudge.
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Preplanning makes success

I'm trying to find someone who will trade me their trades diploma for my BA Such a waste of money, and I'm only half-thru paying it off.

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I used to love my job as a hotel receptionist, being in contact with people all the time the hours are nuts though, and the pay not too great, and you do get the occasional jerk-head compalining about everything from the elevator to the toilet paper, but mostly people are nice.

I also loved working as the direction secretary - and didn't mind getting the coffee for the meetings - mainly because the director of the joint was a great guy.

Then I switched to running a gym, again lots of people to handle, and it's fun, I loved being able to help those who would actually listen to what I was telling them they needed to do, change their lives and health situations. Now I'm "just" working as an on-line trainer, but as soon as I get the papers worked out (hopefully!!) I'm heading for the nearest gym with an application!
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Good luck, SARAH.... hope you get in with a good gym... I go three mornings a week...the gym is in the office building where I work...not a big gym, but it has everything one needs....and because it's smaller...you get to meet more people that way.... and easier for one on one...
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks

I did forget to mention though: I walked out on a boss who kept asking to have a letter re-typed with one sentence changed, only to re-change it back to the original afterwards - and the original was of course the one he'd scribbled the change on! This was in the days before PCs!

Another guy said the pay was every other week, which was why I wasn't paid that first week I worked there. Then the next week, I wasn't paid either, because it was in fact the wrong week (not pay week), he just hadn't paid me the previous week because I'd only been there for half a pay period! OK, that was the last he saw of me - my ex went to pick up my pay! The guy said I'd left him in a bind, but my ex told him he was the one who left us in a bind by not paying!

There are jerks out there. There are bad jobs. The thing is to be able and willing to look for better if you're in a rut.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM

I totally agree.... that happened to me once... when I was studying...I was working in a coffee/pastry shop... the jerk said the same thing...I'd get paid every week...only he kept paying me one week behind... I left and went on UEI... it was the first and only time...but, I really needed it.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILEYSMUDGE View Post
I'm a trained Opera Singer...
But you're so petite !!!

Well I like my job. I started when I was 18 yr old , "at the base of the ladder" (sounds better in french ) and have now a "position" . Doing claims for a car dealer. Not too many people have experience in this and no too many people like that job. So I'm always in "demand". At one point I was working for 3 dealers (working 12-13 hours a day for 2 years) and a rep for the company even asked me to teach but I refused. I worked in 4 different car dealers, so far , in 20 years. I've been at the same place for the past 8 years. This is the first place where the boss and owners dared to tell me I was doing a great job. and I know I get things the other employees don't , I get to take time off whenever I want (but I don't get paid) still , it's nice to know I don't have to ask to leave early for vet's appointment ! Sometimes it's very stressfull , I "play" with a lot of money , but I like it
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
For $25 a week, I cook, clean, do laundry, vacuum, and make lunches, among other things.
Hazel , I will pay you $25.00 + $1.00 if you do the same at my house
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
But you're so petite !!!
NOT!!! Well... I guess for an opera singer...I don't do that much opera any more...just concert singing... I may have a chance to take my concert to BC next fall... I'm planning to entertain the people of the Canadian Legion We still have alot of WWII vets around. We must never forget them.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILEYSMUDGE View Post
I may have a chance to take my concert to BC next fall...
I hope you get the job ! and I hope it will be $$$$$

I wanted to add, I wouldn't be able to keep a job I don't like. I'm away 10 hours a day because of work , I think it's extremely important to like your job , if not , you should be looking for another one. We spend 3/4 of our life there , it's stressful enough without not wanting to be there.

My life motto is : if you don't like what you got , change it.

This DOES NOT include your pets
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Hazel , I will pay you $25.00 + $1.00 if you do the same at my house
Ooooo...$26!! Hmmmm... Do I get to bring my fuzzbutts?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Doggie Wench

HRP, I'll up Frenchy's offer to 27$, and pay a salary to the all the fuzzbutts an equal 27 cookies per week too .
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll come for free
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Wow! A bidding war! I'll bet if we hold out, madame hazel, we can get $30!!!

Um...but maybe I should tell you that the $25 I get now also comes with room and board. I sorta forgot that part before. So I'd have to move into your house and you'd have to have room for 8 more fuzzbutts. Oh, and I should warn you, none of us are very good cooks!

Old March 12th, 2008, 08:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg4050 View Post
I'll come for free
LP, that means room and board for two and, of course, more fuzzbutts. meg, can you cook?

Old March 12th, 2008, 08:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Ooooo...$26!! Hmmmm... Do I get to bring my fuzzbutts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
HRP, I'll up Frenchy's offer to 27$, and pay a salary to the all the fuzzbutts an equal 27 cookies per week too .
ok ok $30.00 ( to LP) you can bring the pack (of course !!!) they'll get salmon treats and satin balls as treats. You also get zootherapy with some nice goldens. Oh oh and I have a pool !!! And I'll buy you all the liver you can eat

Let's see LP beat that !
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg4050 View Post
I'll come for free
ahhh meg4050