Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Preplanning makes success

Sugar highs/ lows?

So all the dr's I've mentioned this to tell me it's totally normal, and not to worry about it.

My problem is that if I A. Eat too much, B. eat too litte C. eat too much bread/pasta/ sugar then my (what I'm calling) "blood sugar" goes insane.

I get dizzy, jittery, angry, I can't concentrate, sick to my stomach, head-aches, confusion, REALLY tired (jittery and tired- bad combination), insomnia, etc. And this isn't just a little bit- it's to the point where I don't really feel comfortable driving. I've had blood tests and glucose tests and have no signs of diabetes or anything like that, but all doctors tell me is "eat carefully." I try to eat non-refined breads and pastas (no white flour) and only in moderation, I eat a lot of veggies cuz the sugars in fruits are bad, and I work VERY hard in not indulging my sweet tooth.

I'm mostly in control of it, just in the last week no matter how careful I am about when and what I eat, it's the same thing, and it's driving me insane! I'm sure it's stress related, but this is ridiculous.

Does anyone else have this? Know what it is? Or have any suggestions on how to control it? I'm really open to anything at this point.

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually, yes. At it's very worst, like not remembering to eat for too long, I end up slurring words, being unable to think even remotely straight, etc.

If I eat something with sugar in it, or too much of something like white rice, or even too much fruit juice, I become some sort of horrible hyper psycho for about half an hour, then descend into either a seething ball of rage or a crying pathetic lump.

The only diagnoses I've ever gotten is hypoglycemia

If I pay attention, eat regularly (like every 4 hours ideally) in smaller portions, avoid refined sugars and grains and limit stuff like fruits I'm usually pretty good. If all that still isn't working for you, perhaps look into specific foods that help to control blood sugar levels like buckwheat and cinnamon (these are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others).
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM

The whole diabetes spectrum can be a nightmare as well as confusing. I used to go through all of the symptoms mentioned, anger, blubbering wreck, psycho you name it, until I went on to insulin. Now blood sugars are near normal, but that is with 2 different types of insulin.
Potatoes are high in carbohydrates so they are good for you, the sweet potato even better. Bread, also is good.
There are heaps of ideas that can be gained, not through your doctor, but through a dietitian.
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Garden nut

I have hypoglycemia as well, but only loosely diagnosed by a physician. Says there's nothing I can really do for it except watch what I eat. A better self diagnosis is "Highly Sensitive Person." (Lots of articles about that online.) A lot of detergents bother me because of the perfumes. I make my own soap because the store stuff makes my skin freak out. I rarely wear makeup or use hair products. Natural is the only way for me to go whether I want to or not.

I try not to overdo the carbs, and eat balanced. It's actually weird because I can "forget" to eat or just flat out don't want to eat sometimes.

I eat small snacks throughout the day. If I eat properly I don't get the shakes and horrid feelings. The sugar doesn't bother me from natural sources like fruit.

If I eat junk food like store bought processed stuff, the shakes (or worse) come real fast. But I can eat a homemade cake or pie with no ill effects. So I've learned after many bad digestive incidents to just make everything I eat from scratch and stay far far away from processed food of any kind. Except for tea biscuits because they don't bother me at all. I can't even eat in restaurants any more.

Sometimes I can't help it though... hubby got some maple cookies the other day at the store. I had a couple today and just finished barfing. Never will eat those again!!

I wish I had an answer why my body adamantly rejects processed foods. Not because I want to eat that stuff, but because I don't like mysteries.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, this happens to me too. I find high protein diet is best for me and to eat small amounts through out the day. If I eat pasta for dinner, my heart goes crazy and I can't sleep at night. For dinner I have salad and meat, rather than potatoes/pasta and meat. Not only does this seem to keep my blood sugar in balance, it helps keep the weight off too.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeiLuver View Post
Potatoes are high in carbohydrates so they are good for you, the sweet potato even better. Bread, also is good.
I find the total opposite, too much of any of those and I'm on some sort of crazed rollercoaster of hyperactivity followed by a period of irrational anger and shakiness.
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Gosh sorry Pitgrrl, I guess everyone is different, you know your own triggers so thats the way to go.
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, no need to be sorry!
I was just saying, it is interesting how different people will react to different things. I can tell with in 1 minute of talking to my mother on the phone what kind of foods she's eaten that day because if she eats any type of baked goods she sounds like she taken amphetamines
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Preplanning makes success

It's weird how different carbs affect me in different ways. Breads and pastas make me jittery and hyper and irrational (like I just downed 10 cups of coffee, it's crazy) and starchy things like potatoes and corn zonk me right now, and I'm so tired I can barely function.

I've finally figured out that if I eat protein and veggies for lunch and dinner, plus little snacky things through the day (carrots, a rice cake, whatever) helps to keep me balanced. Even one candy or sweet thing can send me into a spin of dizziness.

I guess I should think about packaged foods as well. It never occurred to me that there could be things in there that I'm reacting to (ha!). I have the same problem with dish soaps and laundry soaps- I get horrible rashes with a lot of them (laundry soap once = an itch all-over body rash that made my skin raised - there was a half-inch difference between where my tank top touched my skin and where it didn't. Ugh!) As a result, I'm ordering my soap from an online place that makes eco-friendly, low-allergy soaps, and it's all I've found that works.

Thanks for all the information. It's good to know I'm not the only one weighing out what I eat with what I'm doing later- "mm, that looks good... oh, nope, I'm supposed to babysit later today. Not a good idea."

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old