Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 14th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Potty Re-Training, Training older dog

Over the years I have had a few dogs and thought I knew just a little.
Well, it seems that I do know just a little but not near enough about potty training. I have read a few books and some of them are very good but I can't seem to find a answer for this one.
I have one toy poodle 2 years old that is the very best about going outside. If I take her out every hour or every four hours she will always pee.

I have another toy poodle that is 18 mo old and she is a real problem.
I have only had her for one week so I don't expect her to be trained yet. I am more concerned about her past training or lack of training.
The lady that had her had some problems and would not let her go out for fear she would get a flea on her or track in a blade of grass. Pee pads were placed all over the house but the poodle just went anywhere she pleased. I don't know what the lady did when Sugar ( the poodle) had an accident.

Here is my problem: I am concerned that she may not be going often enough. Yesterday she went 3 times which seemed about normal. Other days she often will only go early in the morning when she wakes up. She sleeps in her crate and never soils her bed. Today she has not peed at all. She poops once every day. She pooped early this morning but never peed as far as I can tell.
I have tried taking her out every hour (on leash) and every two hours.
Nothing helps.
She has only peed in the house five times in seven days. Two times on pee pads and three accidents.

To make the story short, do you think I should be concerned if she goes all day without peeing?
She is a 6 lb toy poodle 18 month old.

I never acknowledge when she has an accident. I just clean it up and consider it my fault for not being alert.
Old October 16th, 2011, 04:52 PM

It always fascinates me how a dog can hold themselves for so long. Sometimes my dog will wake up, go out and poop and then come bouncing in the house like that's all she had to do. I have to say, "Go wet!" and then she looks at me like, "oh yeah! I knew I forgot something!"

It could actually be psychological, as it sounds like she's gotten mixed signals (through no fault of your own, but she sees 3 ways to pee - on pee pads, anywhere in the house and oh yes, outside.) I think you're doing good by being patient and walking her several times, so she gets the idea that there is only one acceptable place to go.

Anyway, have you taken your little one to the vet to be checked out in regard to this specific issue?

Since she's little, she could be going here and there in the house and maybe you don't see it. If she goes in her kennel, it may be dry the next day. Disgusting thought, but you may want to put your nose at her bed.

Something tells me she's going and you just don't know it. If she's not, you would probably have seen signs of illness in some other way by now.

I wish you luck. I adopted my dog after a year of her living outside and was told I would never housebreak her. That was ridiculous. You have to overcome the previous owner's issues, and again I wish you luck.

Please let us know what comes of this.
Felicia
Old October 16th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

I agree with lucy on this one. She's likely a wee (pardon the pun) bit confused. In time..I think you'll have her straightened out.
Old October 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the reply's.

Like magic on day 8 she all of a sudden seemed to say " Oh, you want me to do my business while we are outside?"

She went twice on day 8 and 3 times on day 9.
6:30 AM starts her day with a quick run outside to pee.
Not one single accident inside since the first few days at home.

Tags
pee, poodle, potty