Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 25th, 2004, 11:26 PM

Question Is my cat to young to be pregnant and will she be to young to have her kittens?

My cat is approx. 8 months old. I heard that she may be to young to have kittens safely. Is this true? I'm not definately sure but her nipples are big and her abdominal area is starting to get more big and rounder. I heard her mating 2x. When do cats start to show signs of pregnancy? When do their bellies start showing?
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Why are you letting your cat mate?? The best thing to do is take her NOW and get her spayed.

Are you prepared to find permanent and responsible homes for up to 7 kittens?
If you want kittens, there are countless kittens who are already here and are homeless. You could foster a litter, and help out instead of adding to an already overwhelming cat problem.

Cats often do not show signs of pregnancy until very late, and yes - having a large litter at her age could be a big problem for her.
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:52 PM

Thumbs down I am disappointed with this site.

[QUOTE=LuckyRescue]Why are you letting your cat mate?? The best thing to do is take her NOW and get her spayed.

I do not believe in abortions. I came here looking for some information not to be preached at by some abortion pusher "Lucky Rescue". Don't you have heart? I love my cat like my my own child and support her pregnancy if she even is pregnant. There is nothing wrong with letting you cat have a litter of kittens. And then getting her spayed afterwards! Is there? I didn't think so. I know I will not have any problem getting her babies homes. But please, don't start telling me what to do! All I came here for is answers and if I wanted to abort her babies I wouldn't have came here looking for answers. Please respond if you have the info that i need. Thank You.
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Senior Contributor

There are 87,748 cats listed on Petfinder tonight. If memory serves, less then 75% of the rescue groups and shelters in the U.S. list their animals on Petfinder.

Yes, your kitten is too young to have a litter. It would be like asking a 12 year old child to have and rear a child.

Glad to hear you don't believe in abortion. How are you feeling about euthanisia? Lucky Rescue and I have both had the honor of holding plenty of kittens as they are put to sleep for lack of homes.

Sorry if you are offended. Those of us who dedicate our lives to finding homes for unwanted animals are offended by those who needlessly breed.
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

If you read more carefully, you will see that I DID answer your questions.

Yes, there IS something wrong with letting her have just one litter. The people who get the kittens might think the way you do, and let THEM have "just one litter." And then what?

I just spent an hour listing dumped pets on my site and where do you think they all come from? From people like you who irresponsibly breed their animals for no reason.

You need to educate yourself about the overpopulation of pets, and think that one day these kittens you are breeding can very well end up being killed in shelters or dumped on the street and you will be responsible for that.

Are you going to take care of all these kittens. Can you afford to get them all spayed and neutered before you adopt them out? Most people think they will, then we get the call saying "HELP! I have all these kittens and cant' get them homes!"
--------------------
One unspayed female cat, her mate and all their offspings, producing 2 litters per year, with an average of 2.8 surviving kittens per litter can total:

· 12 cats after 1 year

67 cats after 2 years

376 cats after 3 years

2,107 cats after 4 years

11,801 cats after 5 years

66,088 cats after 6 years

370,092 cats after 7 years

2,072,514 cats after 8 years

11,606,077 cats after 9 years
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I was quiet taken aback to your response,you"support"her pregnancy,you are not talking about a teenage daughter,but a too young cat.
In letting her have kittens,you'll risk her life and the life of innocent kittens,regardless of thousands of unwanted cats/kittens,if you love your cat have her spayed now,if it's not too late.
Having a in tact female(8 month old)roaming outside is not love,it's irresponsible and she will pay the price.
I LOVE my cats and cute little kittens,I think we all do and I would do just about anything to keep them happy and healthy and spaying/neutering is one of the most important aspects of owning a cat.
Antiabortionist beliefs is fine and dandy,but hardly is in the best interest of an 8 month old kitten.
Anyway,when in doubt,ask your vet.
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Exactly what I was thinking Chico... This is not some teenage daughter that you will support through life... nor are there overpopulation issues with children (at least in this country) nor are there kill shelters either. And even then, you don't send a teenage girl out to "mate" either... OMG.

Cats are not humans - they mate because nature tells them too... not because they want to experience the joy that is parenthood. If you were not prepared to have your cat spayed you should have kept her away from male cats or not gotten a cat at all. You view on this is that of a very irresponsible pet owner. I have only spent a week working in a shelter and it made me cry on a few occasions as I saw pets that were not placeable PTS, and your post offended me. I can only imagine how offended the others here that devote a good portion of their life to rescue are.
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Cat Lover]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Why are you letting your cat mate?? The best thing to do is take her NOW and get her spayed.

I do not believe in abortions. I came here looking for some information not to be preached at by some abortion pusher "Lucky Rescue". Don't you have heart? I love my cat like my my own child and support her pregnancy if she even is pregnant. There is nothing wrong with letting you cat have a litter of kittens. And then getting her spayed afterwards! Is there? I didn't think so. I know I will not have any problem getting her babies homes. But please, don't start telling me what to do! All I came here for is answers and if I wanted to abort her babies I wouldn't have came here looking for answers. Please respond if you have the info that i need. Thank You.

I see you have quite a trap and you get angry for nothing. Yes, there is something wrong with you not wanting your cat to be aborted and spayed. It is owners like you who contribute to the overpopulation of cats and dogs. Luckyrescue rescues dogs and cats that people abandon. Yes, Luckyrescue has a heart. Nothing like yours, though. Your cat should not be pregnant at this age. Your cat should not be pregnant at ANY age. Are you willing to spay or neuter all your kittens before placing them in homes? I doubt it. Most likely your kittens will contribute to the amout of abandoned animals who die in the street. Yes, we're telling you what to do because you ASKED for help with what to do! Luckyrescue also provided the information you needed.

I want to tell you it is your problem that you don't like this site. And keep off it if you don't like it, because...

I didn't read all the posts before I posted this. I was too angry.
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:25 PM

Unhappy angry

Hi
i think there is a problem here. If someone can responsably care for a pregnant cat and all of her kittens for life, providing them with food, shelter, love, caring, etc, sure have the kittens. This also means finding them a home and if people cannot keep them (for whatever reason), you will continue to care for them, great idea. You'll see that having all these kittens is quite cute and you'll come to love each one individually, they will all be your babies, but when your babies start having babies, you'll see what the others on the site mean by multiples.

I once found a pregnant cat under my balcony in the winter. I brought her in and fed her, kept her warm. I tried to find her owner(regional shelter, spca, posting at local stores) The cat had the babies,eight sweet kittens. I could not afford to keep them nor spay & neuter them. 100.00 each. I gave some away and was left with 4 cats. 3 months later they were all pregnant again. vicious circle
Laurie
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You'll see that having all these kittens is quite cute and you'll come to love each one individually, they will all be your babies, but when your babies start having babies, you'll see what the others on the site mean by multiples.
But what about the "cute individual kittens" at the shelters? What happens to them when the irrisponsible owners keep letting their animals have offspring? These are dumped when not wanted, and end up dieing a painful death on the street, or being taken to the shelter and being euthanized or HOPEFULY adopted out. The long and short of it is KITTENS SHOULD NOT BE HAVING KITTENS! ADULT CATS SHOULD NOT BE HAVING KITTENS. IRRISPONSIBLE OWNERS SHOULD NOT HAVE KITTENS OR CATS!

I'm sorry if I am letting my anger get the best of me, but really, people like this should know what they're doing.
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
KITTENS SHOULD NOT BE HAVING KITTENS! ADULT CATS SHOULD NOT BE HAVING KITTENS. IRRISPONSIBLE OWNERS SHOULD NOT HAVE KITTENS OR CATS!
RIGHT. We now have to stand by and watch 10 beautiful and healthy young cats be killed ONLY because of immature, selfish, irresponsible and clueless people who don't know or care about anything except "I WANT!"

Some people put so much work, pain and frustration into trying to help cats, and then you see yet ANOTHER person like this individual and it makes us want to give up.

For every homeless litter we work so hard to get adopted out, there are 10 people like this breeding cats without ever having the slightest idea of the damage they are doing and the suffering they are directly causing by their refusal to take responsibilty. UGH
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Another aspect of this whole thing is that this poor 8mo old kitten/mom isn't fully developed herself yet and the kittens she's expecting are drawing the nutrients that she needs herself. Really sad how this owner loves his cat so much to allow this to happen.
Old July 26th, 2004, 10:37 PM

The most unfortunate thing of all is where is Cat Lover now? Probably signed off when she didn't hear what she wanted to hear. Same with the exotic pet owner. As a midwife I have been trying to educate people for 10 years about birth. It seems sometimes that I spend most of my time "preaching to the converted" and the rest "pissing in the wind"!!!!!!!!!!!
How do we get the message to those that need it most without turning them off. How when we are so passionate about the work we do are able to reach those who in their ignorance do so much harm?
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja
The most unfortunate thing of all is where is Cat Lover now? Probably signed off when she didn't hear what she wanted to hear. Same with the exotic pet owner. As a midwife I have been trying to educate people for 10 years about birth. It seems sometimes that I spend most of my time "preaching to the converted" and the rest "pissing in the wind"!!!!!!!!!!!
How do we get the message to those that need it most without turning them off. How when we are so passionate about the work we do are able to reach those who in their ignorance do so much harm?
I don't know Freyja... It's really frustrating isn't it... I suppose we all got a little PO'd with this one and maybe got a little harsh but OMG the ignorance. It just makes me so mad... Sure stay cats will always have kittens, but to allow your pet to go through this is horrible... even if all these kitten find homes, those are homes that could have saved other cats/kittens already in this world... so the birth of these kittens effectively costs other cats their lives.

Here's a little bit of reality for stray kittens and abandoned cats... My father just returned (to NS) from working out west, he had someone looking after his house... his cats (indoor/outdoor - on a farm) are both spayed, but a group of small kittens have taken up residence under his step... he has no idea where they came from - but one is blind... he said they are all scared of people and the little blind one often runs into things in his attempt to flee when he hears someone coming... Doesn't that just break your heart. The kittens are eating the food dad puts out for the other cats, so they are fine for now, but I'll be trying to round them up when I get home in 2 weeks and I'll see if we can get them to the shelter.
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:24 AM

I am not saying your are wrong. I have only been on the forum for a couple of weeks. I am amazed at the patience that most of you have. The same issues crop up on a daily basis. My hat goes off to people like LR and Luba and Spoiled!!! I am only sympathizing with the frustration of getting the message to those who need it. Our society is such that we only hear what we want to hear and the internet has such a tremendous amount of information that people are sure to find what they are looking for.
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

What is so frustrating is how often a new, 1st time poster pops up the next day with an almost identical post! This is going on in such incredible numbers!
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree Lass!!! It seems as though they didn't get the answer they were looking for so they post the same question under a different name and reword it a little - hoping it doesn't sound so offending the second time and they are suprised when they get the same response...
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
What is so frustrating is how often a new, 1st time poster pops up the next day with an almost identical post! This is going on in such incredible numbers!
This is soo true! It just makes me so mad!

Quote:
I agree Lass!!! It seems as though they didn't get the answer they were looking for so they post the same question under a different name and reword it a little - hoping it doesn't sound so offending the second time and they are suprised when they get the same response...
This also sounds pretty true to me. These are the people who are the reasons I get so mad.
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:42 PM

Is there no way of explaining things to people without jumping down their throats?

When you discipline a child, do you scream and yell at them? Or do you sit them down and try to calmly explain things to them?

I choose the latter. Yes, we may not always be dealing with children here, but sometimes the person's mind is obviously immature in regards to the matter at hand.

I get pissed when people are irresposible too....but I try to advise with a bit of compassion. Otherwise, they will only get angry at the replies, instead of learning something new or becoming more resposible.

Just an observation.
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
When you discipline a child, do you scream and yell at them? Or do you sit them down and try to calmly explain things to them?
I'm assuming that someone who is old enough to breed cats and post about it on the net is older than 5.

And I did tell her what to do with her cat, and explained why AND answered her questions. Hardly "screaming and yelling." The reply was a nonsensical rant about "abortion".

After the 200th "My cat is pregnant" post, it does get to be rather aggravating.
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I really do not understand why when telling it as it is,is construed as being harsh.It happens time and time again.What are we supposed to say,congratulations????
This kitten is probably strange to any vet,or the vet would have told the owner.....poor little mama kitten,I hope she survives the ordeal
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the hassel

Well I'd like to say..........."[COLOR=Lime]**** YOU[/COLOR]" I came here looking for support. And I just got hasseled. What can I say, I love my cat that's why she's having these babies no matter what. She may be young and I was young when I first got pregnant and got "spayed" that's why I will never do this to a member of my family. Totaly against it. If all of you see cats a burden why do you bother with them? You all sound as if you hate your "rescuing cats" job cause it's never going to end. And yes this may be my first time on here and it's also going to be my last. So thanks for nothing and have fun killing for a life. You all should be ashamed of yourselves!
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I suppose now she thinks she's providing job security for all of you!
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Judging by the posts glasslass took a funny pill ....lmao
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:40 PM

Can you say anthropomorphism?
"Cat Lover" I am sorry you are hurting from your abortion. Perhaps some counselling would help. There are agencies that help with post abortion trauma. However, as much as you love your cat, it is an animal. You made a mistake for which you are paying for. Your cat is an animal that followed it's instincts. As owners of pets we are charged with making responsible choices for them. I understand your Right to Life position, it does not translate to the animal world. Ask your priest/rabbi/pastor.
Jane
the midwife
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
I'm assuming that someone who is old enough to breed cats and post about it on the net is older than 5.

And I did tell her what to do with her cat, and explained why AND answered her questions. Hardly "screaming and yelling." The reply was a nonsensical rant about "abortion".

After the 200th "My cat is pregnant" post, it does get to be rather aggravating.
Wow. You obviously did not read my post in it's entirety....and I don't believe I was pointing fingers at anyone in particular....just a general observation. Please re-read and hopefully you will understand better.

Yes, we may not always be dealing with children here, but sometimes the person's mind is obviously immature in regards to the matter at hand.
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

"Cat-Lover" There is really no need to comment on your last post,you are living in your own little perfect world,totally oblivious to the fact 100.000 abandonned,abused cats are killed in shelters every year in North America many because of people like you.
My thoughts are with your poor kitten,I don't suppose you know,she WILL get pregnant again right after her first litter,if she survives,as soon as she's let outside not spayed.
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Well well well! Thats funny.

Quote:
I came here looking for support. And I just got hasseled.
We're giving the cat support, not you.

Quote:
What can I say, I love my cat that's why she's having these babies no matter what.
If you really really really love your cat, she wouldn't be having babies. Think it over. At the young age, she could have complications. There are many more things such as cancer, heats, stuff like that. Also, when mating, the cats can get bitten on the spine and have serious injeries (my spelling is really bad today). So what your saying doesn't make sence. You don't love the cat enough to care for it enough to get her spayed.

Quote:
She may be young and I was young when I first got pregnant and got "spayed" that's why I will never do this to a member of my family.
Thats too bad, and yes, you might want to have counceling. Cats aren't the same as humans, neither are dogs. In fact, they are happier if fixed. And for obvious reasons, it is much safer.

Quote:
If all of you see cats a burden why do you bother with them? You all sound as if you hate your "rescuing cats" job cause it's never going to end.
We don't see rescuing cats as a burden, and we bother with them because we want to make the world a better place. We don't hate our rescuing jobs. In fact they are very sad, but rewarding. But yes, sadly, with people like you around who are terribly against spaying and neutering it will never end.

Quote:
So thanks for nothing and have fun killing for a life. You all should be ashamed of yourselves!
What? You say we are killing for a life and having fun I think what you really mean is that we have to euthanize cats and dogs because there isn't enough room in the world for them all... because of people like YOU!