Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old November 18th, 2015, 12:08 PM

Question Is it safe >feeding pomegranates to squirrels, raccoons, birds?

I would appreciate to receive opinions if it is safe to feed the pomegranate to squirrels, skunks, raccoons, birds - any city wildlife? Thank you.
Old November 18th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

It's not a good idea to feed wild animals , they needs to be able find food on their own in order to survive . I was told by a wildlife expert when a person feed a wildlife animal it could lose it natural fear of people and thrust the wrong one and be killed . Wildlife animals needs to be treats as a wild animal if you find one that needs help call a wildlife expert and let them care for it.
Old November 18th, 2015, 06:45 PM
You can call me DOG!

If you have any perennial flowers, don't cut them down. 3 years ago I forgot to cut off the the stalks from my Yucca's and it turned out to be a very harsh winter. In spring of 2013, the stalks were all gnawed and shredded from animals looking for food. Trimmed them off in the spring and everything grew back normally. Haven't cut them off since and am leaving all my other perennials intact this winter for the wildlife - just in case.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old November 20th, 2015, 04:43 PM

Re pomegranates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
It's not a good idea to feed wild animals , they needs to be able find food on their own in order to survive . I was told by a wildlife expert when a person feed a wildlife animal it could lose it natural fear of people and thrust the wrong one and be killed . Wildlife animals needs to be treats as a wild animal if you find one that needs help call a wildlife expert and let them care for it.
Thank you for your reply.I understand and agree, but if I do not feed them personally and leave some of the fruit in a park, or on a corner of the lawn, and do not actually personally feed them,but just leave outside, is this ok? I am wondering if their digestion is ok eating this fruit.I purchased some on sale and cannot eat them as they are not good, so thought maybe to leave them outside....? Thanks.🙂
Old October 15th, 2016, 12:14 PM

They should be fine with it.Racoons will eat all most anything except tomatoes or cabbage.Doesnt hurt to leave something out.If your worried about them always coming back put the food far from your home
Old October 15th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Raccoon will also eat cats so if you have a cat that goes out a lot you shouldn't feed raccoons. It's really a bad idea to leave food outside for wild animals it keep them from hunting for food and they'll lose their fear of people. This also put the animals of risk of being killed by people who don't feel the same way about wild animals and the animal are more likely to attack a person if they become too use to people. Wild animals should left alone so they'll stay 'wild' and keep their natural fear of people .

Tags
birds, feeding city squirrels, pomegranates, raccoons, skunks