Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old November 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe time for me to try some raw?

I was making turkey burgers the other day and was geting some ingredients. Looked back, Onnie swiped a mouthful of ground turkey!!!

I never would have thought he'd eat raw. He's quite picky and only eats cheese/cooked chicken/meat from human food. Nothing else.

I know Bunduk will eat anything

So maybe its time for me to try giving them some raw once in a while. What's a good thing to start with?

Im not looking for a balanced diet with raw because I cant do it regularly/ they still have their canned and kibble.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster with all the talk - I tried it with my cats....not one would even consider...not even my feral.

I am confused as to why they would not even consider. Anyways, now I am confused as to what is the best CAN FOOD for cats...so much information and I don't know where to go anymore.
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
ISo maybe its time for me to try giving them some raw once in a while. What's a good thing to start with?
Pieces of raw chicken or turkey breast (or thigh) make great treats. What I do is cut up some thigh into bite-size pieces and freeze them on a sheet of wax paper, then put them in a freezer bag to pull out as needed. Maybe if your kitties are feeling extra adventurous, you could try something like gizzards or a piece of heart. Chicken necks are really good for cleaning teeth, but that might be tougher to convince them to try (thought not impossible).

Whenever you're cooking meat for your own dinner (if you aren't vegetarian, that is), offer them a taste to see what they like.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

So cooked meat is ok then...this they will absolutely eat.
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM

Cooked meat is OKAY for animals... but theres no need ot cook it! Lol

Chicken necks and backs are what I experimented with at first, and they are cheap in the grocery store. Gizzards, and hearts are really good too!

I havent personally tried it with my animals, but I hear rabbit is really good too!
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I am confused as to why they would not even consider.
Cats learn early (like by 7-8 weeks or so) what is considered safe to eat, and generally tend to be less adventurous as they get older. It's a safety mechanism to help them avoid toxic foods. This makes them very suspicious of new things and can take quite a bit of patience to overcome in some cats. Since a cat's appetite is largely determined by it's sense of smell, it may just be a matter of making the unfamiliar scent of raw meat more familiar. Perhaps you can try putting a small piece beside their regular food dish and just leaving it there for a few hours. Replace with a fresh piece every so often. They may eventually try it on their own.

If you can get your cats on canned food, it is sometimes easier to then transition to raw because you can introduce tiny bits of raw into the canned.

Quote:
Anyways, now I am confused as to what is the best CAN FOOD for cats...so much information and I don't know where to go anymore.
One of the better sources of info on cat food is this site (it's a long but easy read).: http://www.catinfo.org/ Tells you what to look for and mentions some of the better commercial foods. There are also tips on how to transition: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

In a nutshell: grain-free is ideal, preferably minimal to no by-products, limit fish-based foods. Some that fit the bill: Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct, Innova Evo 95%, By Nature .....

Hope that helps!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
So cooked meat is ok then...this they will absolutely eat.
That's a great start! In that case, just start cooking the meat less and less until it's raw.

Old November 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
That's a great start! In that case, just start cooking the meat less and less until it's raw.
Thanks sugarcatmom - I get very confused because there is so much literature on this subject. I do give my cats table scraps of meat ...thus they even steal off my plate. Mind you the meat I give is filet mignon and chopped grain feed chicken....expensive but I can see how much they appreciate it. Great idea you gave me in regards to the can and adding raw. I will try anything. I just want my cats to have the best I can offer.

Thanks so very much.
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for all the info!!

Ill def try bits and pieces of chicken and all while Im cooking. So it doesnt have to be fresh meat then? It can be frozen and thawed? Great! I was always kinda scared of that.

They do get cooked chicken every once in a while but I would liek to try raw chicken necks for their teeth

Old November 20th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Obsessed animal lover

I don't know if this applies to cats as well but make sure you don't feed raw at the same time as kibble. As kibble takes a while to digest, it stays in the stomach longer. Feeding raw with kibble means the raw will stay in the stomach longer as well and ferment and possibly cause problems. Maybe feed kibble in the morning and raw at night. If you do go all the way with raw, it's important that you feed them muscle and organ meat as well as the other parts of the animal.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Senior Contributor

oh really? I didnt know that.

Perhaps I should pass on the raw then. My guys are free fed kibble you see (which I prob should stop but thats another battle).

Old November 20th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Mind you the meat I give is filet mignon and chopped grain feed chicken
All chickens are grain fed :P It's just a trap to make you pay more for the same thing! Trust me, my family have been in the chicken industry for years!!! The best thing you can buy is air cold chicken instead of water cold... it's pricier cuz you don't pay for the water the meat absorb! If you want chicken without any medecation you have to buy organic...

Same thing goes for white vs brown eggshells

Last edited by scathach; November 20th, 2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I know grain can regulate digestive systems, by bulking up and that may affect digestion rates in the colon. I assume then if the kibble is grain free you may not have that problem.

Cats digestive tract is made for raw meat, right from the teeth to the large colon. The tract in a cat is very short compared to a human so digested food doesn't have as far to travel and doesn't stay in the bowels long enough for bacteria to build up. Plus the digestive tract has a lower ph which minimizes bacteria reproduction.

Jasper eats a bit of kibble (orijen) and raw meat and he doesn't seem to have any problems with it. He no longer has bad breath since I have cut back on his kibble and started him on Instinct canned and raw.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathach View Post
All chickens are grain fed :P It's just a trap to make you pay more for the same thing! Trust me, my family have been in the chicken industry for years!!! The best thing you can buy is air cold chicken instead of water cold... it's pricier cuz you don't pay for the water the meat absorb! If you want chicken without any medecation you have to buy organic...

Same thing goes for white vs brown eggshells
Thanks for that info....see you learn something new everyday around here. It is getting complicating as to what is good and what is not..for animals AND humans.

What about white vs brown eggshells? I get the white because for some reason the brown eggshells just seem too odd. Sorry . but I have to ask.
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM

white eggs and brown eggs are exactly the same... some people think that because it's brown, it's healthier... not true! It's just that some breed of chicken have brown egg, other white so you buy which ever is the cheapest
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
white eggs and brown eggs are exactly the same... some people think that because it's brown, it's healthier... not true! It's just that some breed of chicken have brown egg, other white so you buy which ever is the cheapest
Thanks for the info, marketing companies are so good at scamming

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well thanks for all this great information. I really need to save money since my dear cats only eat filet mignon....while I get the round!
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM

i'm glad to help spread the good news about grain feed chicken!
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info L4H...makes sense to me I feed wellness but not core. I tried orijen when I first had Bunduk, but Onnie's anal glands couldnt handle it and I couldnt handle Bunduks horrible poops

Bunduks digestive system has settled tho, so maybe Ill try the core.

bout the brown eggs..I know theyre not special but I like to buy them every once in a while just cuz theyre pretty. hahaha (Oh boy do I have a lot to learn about pinching pennies...gonna be a steep curve when I move out)

Old November 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My catty ferals eat hearts and gizzards on a regular basis. Won't touch chicken necks though.
The ferals that come and go won't touch the hearts and gizzards. I find that strange seeing as parts of their diet are mice and birds. I guess it isn't warm enough for them.
My indoor kitties won't touch any of that stuff but love raw hamburger, steak.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
He no longer has bad breath since I have cut back on his kibble and started him on Instinct canned and raw.
That's interesting. Ever since Czarina has been inside, little by little her breath has improved and reading this I see it may be because when she was outside she was eating kibble, but since she's been with me inside she's been getting at first Wellness and now Evo. Her breath isn't so stinky.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Bunduk just devoured raw liver (giblets from 2 chickens!!) loves it. Hes not so sure about the other innards, licks them though. I really realllly reallllly want him to eat the chicken neck, im hoping the crunchiness will satisfy his noms

Should I expect crazyness in his poop now??

Onnie jumped off his kitty condo to sniff but then he backed away (walking backwards) "RAW?!! .....u CRAAAAAAAZY!"

Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Bunduk just devoured raw liver (giblets from 2 chickens!!) loves it.
Yahoo!!

Quote:
Hes not so sure about the other innards, licks them though.
It's a good sign that he's at least licking them (as opposed to backing away like Onnie). Maybe if you cut them into smaller bits or moosh them into some canned food he'd give them a go.

Quote:
I really realllly reallllly want him to eat the chicken neck, im hoping the crunchiness will satisfy his noms
If you hammer the chicken neck into smaller pieces at first, he might be more receptive to trying it. Sometimes the size is initially intimidating.

Quote:
Should I expect crazyness in his poop now??
Not necessarily, but keep an eye out. Hopefully all is good in his intestinal world.

Quote:
Onnie jumped off his kitty condo to sniff but then he backed away (walking backwards) "RAW?!! .....u CRAAAAAAAZY!"
He may come around to it eventually, once he sees Bunduck enjoying it and decides he doesn't want to be left out.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Swift Tribe

poor Bunduk.... his poor little butt is gonna explode later.

have a wet washcloth ready!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks SCM! ure the best. Can i leave the raw out? I wanna seee if theyre gonna eat the other things... Also, you how theres a tough membrane around some organs, should I take that off?

W4R..ure kidding right??? please say ure kidding!!! lol

Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Swift Tribe

hahaha!! probably will happen, may not though.... two livers is a bunch for those little bodies to go through. heck a WHOLE liver is a lot to go through for one cat.

the membranes outside are just fine. they chew through them in the wild. we leave raw out for no more than an hour. most of the time its no more than 45 minutes though. i will put them back in the fridge still after 30 minutes if its fairly fresh but if its been in the fridge for more than 3 days its 'eat in 20 minutes or the dog gets it'... we play most of this by feel. i would think if it SMELLS fine, its probably fine. my cats wont eat it if its not fresh enough.... but the dog will bury it for a few days and really enjoy it better.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Ash,you are so funny
My cats give me weird looks when I give them a piece of raw chicken,I'd like to try chicken-necks,but have not found any in the store.
They too love a medium done sirloin-steak(mine!)but only a few pieces,then they say thank's and leave
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Can i leave the raw out?
Honestly, I've left raw out for hours and my cat will still eat it and we've never had a problem. I know many others that do the same, but it depends on your comfort level. Also, raw tends to dry out and stick to the dish and generally be less appetizing as time goes on.

My cat has never had diarrhea from anything I've fed him, and he gets quite the variety. Every cat is different (ECID) though. If you do encounter some loose stools, probiotics might help (I think at one time you were giving them Forti Flora from the vet, so if you still have some kicking around that would be a good option).

Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I leave raw out for Jasper and Puddles to munch on all night. He eats most as soon as he gets it, Puddles gets the licked overs.

His poops were not affected at all by the raw, except they are smaller now .

As for the hard membranes, they seem to move the meat to chew with their back teeth, if it seems to be too hard, they spit it out beside their dish.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Swift Tribe

if i feed 'too much' organ meat to any of my cats they get the runs. i compensate by taking the calcium up a touch and the organs in smaller pieces over more days. so none of them get more than a quarter of a chicken liver (or half of one of the two livers) in a day and thats only twice a week or at least two of them get the runs. now FRANCES on the other hand could eat ANYTHING and be fine. she is my little !

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09